CCW question - if gun seen in public

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I prefer kydex or kydex/leather hybrid, as I find the kydex offers better, more consistent retention. I do recall Gomez being a fan of leather though, since if you end up in a fight for your holstered gun it's much easier to retain the weapon by simply applying pressure to the holster.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I prefer kydex or kydex/leather hybrid, as I find the kydex offers better, more consistent retention. I do recall Gomez being a fan of leather though, since if you end up in a fight for your holstered gun it's much easier to retain the weapon by simply applying pressure to the GUN.

Fixed it for you.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I will not argue that the retention properties of Kydex aren't pretty impressive, and Kydex holsters certainly have their place.

However, you will NEVER make a Kydex holster look this classy:

custom-crocodile-gun-holsters-1.jpg

Leather says: Class. You wouldn't see a Hollywood movie detective wearing anything less.

Kydex says: I'm a practical person. I take my gear and my gun seriously. Although I might be a mall ninja.

Nylon says: I'm a cheap bastard. Any gun that costs more than a Ruger P89 is money wasted. I might be a jackass, but I'm exercising my constitutional right, by God.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Dave, I need my gator!

Oh, and my wife calls that buckle the girl buckle.... only because she likes it and it is what she wears, I called it the horseshoe buckle.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Yeah because looking good makes you less dead.

Not to mention Gomez carried IWB 99% of the time and not OWB.

Compare the price of a quality purpose built leather holster $150ish, kydex $70. Maintenance on leather twice a year oil to prevent cracking, kydex wipe off with a rag when nothing else to do.

We can argue all day long

I do agree cheap nylon gun show specials are a waste of $10+ entry fee $4

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    No arguments here, my friend.

Kydex certainly has its pros and not many cons.

But its all about STYLE. ;)

I thought you Latin fellas were supposed to be very style conscious?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Awe come on now. Paul liked his leather, and was very particular about exactly what he wanted. I should go back and look at the order he sent a few days before he passed, we must have exchanged emails and talked about one holster for a month. I keep saying I am going to make it one day and give a portion to his charity, but I would hate to sell something if he never got to use/approve of it. I am also always behind on something. As soon as I catch up, take some time to post some pictures, and I get bombarded again.

M-66supersingle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    Don't kill me guys but heck I like nylon holsters, they are cheap and they work. Sure it's not the best but so what?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    By work, the gun fits in the holster, sure. Retention, comfort, stability don't exist when using one.

It is OK, I get ragged on no matter what I bring out. If I have a leather holster OWB I get grief, if I am using kydex I get grief. Normally those are not the people buy from me. I did get grief for shooting copper bullets the other day, I had ammo cans loaded with 9mm before I started casting, not about to let them go to waste.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I seem to recall there being the general opinion from somewhere that you could not oc if you had a CCW as well. No clue where thsi came from however. Should be cleared up once and for all by the legislature if it is not clear.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They law is clear, well with exception of at a church, but that is a entire other thread we can drift off into. It was the person that said you could lose your CHP if you OC that is confused.

M-66supersingle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    I have the standard uncle mikes holster and retention seems good with the snap in place, of course I sacrifice draw speed but I'm ok with that and it fits and stays put. I must admit that I am considering one of those blackhawk kydex holsters, the one with the release button. I'm new to the carry game so I just wanna see what other people say about this. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I have the standard uncle mikes holster and retention seems good with the snap in place, of course I sacrifice draw speed but I'm ok with that and it fits and stays put. I must admit that I am considering one of those blackhawk kydex holsters, the one with the release button. I'm new to the carry game so I just wanna see what other people say about this. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

When we say "retention" we don't just mean that the pistol is secure from falling out. We are more worried about someone snatching it from you. An Uncle Mike's button snap can easily be overcome by someone going for your gun. The Blackhawk holsters are better but they have their own problems and since they are so popular pretty much everyone knows to push the button to remove the gun. What's much better are the retention holsters that require pushing hidden buttons and/or require pulling the gun out in a very specific direction. I don't open carry so I don't know much about what brands are good but I am sure there is someone here that can help.

Hey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    South LA

There is always a trade-off between comfort, usability, accessibility, and retention. If you are referring to the Blackhawk Serpa, I have heard a mixed bag about that. Nick does make a nice leather holster, but the issue I have with leather in a humid locale is that it warps, cracks, but most of all, retains moisture, and can rust. It does look much nicer than kydex.

Top Bottom