CHP & Vets.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Will form DD-256A, which is an actual honorable discharge document from the U.S Army Reserves substitute in lieu of Form 214?

You could apply for a VA ID card.

VA ID

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    How many Vets are renewing their CHP since the law changed for Vets? I've had my CHP since they started back in the 90's but with up coming damn tax time I might be not renewing. Mine expires in Jan the same time I have to pay taxes.
    My CHP ends in February…. I do travel to different states maybe once a year, but I don’t feel like having to pay $100-$200 for a renewal class. I am going to have to go this week or next week so I don’t lose it. Does anyone know the course of action if you let it expire? Will I have to start completely over? Does anyone know of any classes in the Lake Charles area that is cheaper than $100?

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Mine is a DD214---I went to DMV several years ago with DD214 and got a new driver's license with Veteran marked on it---I don't have any idea if this actually takes the place of classes for CCP etc. Can anyone clarify what the actual law is on this. I have a lifetime permit now---probably already been addressed here and I missed it---Thanks

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Mine is a DD214---I went to DMV several years ago with DD214 and got a new driver's license with Veteran marked on it---I don't have any idea if this actually takes the place of classes for CCP etc. Can anyone clarify what the actual law is on this. I have a lifetime permit now---probably already been addressed here and I missed it---Thanks
    If you want to keep your lifetime permit (carry in reciprocal states, no NICS check for firearms purchase, but that depends on the ffl) you have to take the 5 year training. If you just want in-state conceal carry, your vet licence is good, no extra retraining required.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you want to keep your lifetime permit (carry in reciprocal states, no NICS check for firearms purchase, but that depends on the ffl) you have to take the 5 year training. If you just want in-state conceal carry, your vet licence is good, no extra retraining required.
    I think you answered his question. Like you said for the lifetime to stay valid he will need the training every five years. And if he just wants to CC in La he could just use his Veteran on his DL and not take any more classes.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Will form DD-256A, which is an actual honorable discharge document from the U.S Army Reserves substitute in lieu of Form 214?

Based on my experience at the DMV: No, I showed both to the clerk and she said referring to the DD214 "this is what I need".
    The DD214 is a release from "active duty". It displays weather the release is under honorable or other conditions.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I will renew mine, for all the above reasons.

I'm leaving to go out west on Friday. I'll carry the entire time, except -ironically- while inside of Shot Show. They don't allow carry at Shot Show, . . . Commie bat turds.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The VA requires a DD214 when applying.
    From the VA website.

You’ll need this information​

When you apply, be sure to have these on hand:
    • Your Social Security number
    • A digital copy of your DD214, DD256, DD257, or NGB22 that you can upload. This could be in a .pdf, .jpeg, or .png file format.
    • A copy of a current and valid government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, passport, or state-issued identification car

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thanks for your research. Times change and so do things.
    Back in the day when I applied for VA benefits they asked for a "certified" (document bearing a raised stamp) copy of my DD214.

Thanks to all who served!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Piney Woods, LA
    Well, that is my problem. I have a DD256 but no DD214. Weird they would want evidence of an honorable discharge and not the real thing. That's bureaucracy for you.

I'm going to give it up and wait for Jeff Landry to take the governorship. Got a feeling he will get the state's CC scheme tossed.

Top Bottom