Coburn Amendment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    And if this passes, just think how hard it is going to be to get a CHP! If the wait time to process is 3 months now, it could be two years after the passage of something like this.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    And if this passes, just think how hard it is going to be to get a CHP! If the wait time to process is 3 months now, it could be two years after the passage of something like this.
    Yes. I am a fan of less laws. Everything works well right now - why fix it?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    This may be something that we could support. The purchaser would run a NICS check on himself through a public website and get a unique PIN number that would be good for 30 days. When you buy a gun from a private seller you give him the PIN number. A purchaser with a CHP would be automatically good to go.

http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...Group_id=14d5b368-b3c2-4a63-99c9-6ed5869359ed

Just because someone produces a physical CHP doesn't mean it's valid. How many people with a suspended drivers license have a physical license in their possession?

This is not a good idea.

JR1572

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Just because someone produces a physical CHP doesn't mean it's valid. How many people with a suspended drivers license have a physical license in their possession?

This is not a good idea.

JR1572[/

As opposed to no check whatsoever?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

This is not a good idea.

JR1572[/

As opposed to no check whatsoever?

What are you saying?

If someone goes to buy a firearm through a FFL and they produce a CHP, they should not have to have a background check? I think that's a bad idea because just because someone possesses the CHP card doesn't mean it's been revoked. It also doesn't mean someone isn't under an indictment or a bill of information.

JR1572

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What are you saying?

If someone goes to buy a firearm through a FFL and they produce a CHP, they should not have to have a background check? I think that's a bad idea because just because someone possesses the CHP card doesn't mean it's been revoked. It also doesn't mean someone isn't under an indictment or a bill of information.

JR1572

We are talking about private sales, not dealer sales.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I wonder if this will pass the privacy standards. Could someone check another person out on the Nics internet site with just a driver's license number?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The part I can't get past is the fact that none of this crap will stop a determined criminal, anyway.

However.....

You bet your ass I'd like to see- IF any of this BS actually becomes law- a CHP holder granted as many shortcuts as possible. Improve the revocation system to weed out the dipshit element, if revoked permits still in possession of said element are a monumental issue. I'd say the law-abiding ALREADY bear enough of the blame-burden for the criminals, as it is.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    This may be something that we could support.

No, this is not something "WE" can support. "WE" do not support ANY new gun laws. "WE" think any more laws are infringing enough on our 2nd Amendment rights. "WE" think we have already compromised too much.

"YOU" go ahead and support this legislation but leave US out of it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Oh- I want to be VERY clear- I do not support this legislation, either. I give LESS than a damn about stupid tin-foil jokes; we are making a big mistake if we get into an agreement or compromise with people like Charles Schumer.

The scenario I stated above was most-certainly intended to mean worst-case....

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    No, this is not something "WE" can support. "WE" do not support ANY new gun laws. "WE" think any more laws are infringing enough on our 2nd Amendment rights. "WE" think we have already compromised too much.

"YOU" go ahead and support this legislation but leave US out of it.

Let me eat a little crow here.

Gottlieb somehow got himself injected into helping write the Manchin/Toomey bill and at first glance, I am liking what I hear. I haven't sat down to read it yet, but it looks like Alan Gottlieb just pulled a fast one on them. In short, I may have to eat a little crow on my last statement. This new version may include making it a federal offense with a 15 year jail time for anyone attempting to compile a database........

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Let me eat a little crow here.

Gottlieb somehow got himself injected into helping write the Manchin/Toomey bill and at first glance, I am liking what I hear. I haven't sat down to read it yet, but it looks like Alan Gottlieb just pulled a fast one on them. In short, I may have to eat a little crow on my last statement. This new version may include making it a federal offense with a 15 year jail time for anyone attempting to compile a database........

There are both good and bad aspects of the Manchin Toomey amendment. Some parts are really good for gun owners. I like Coburn's background check method better. Gun owners need to watch for opportunity. We may come out of this process in better shape than when it started or force the anti gunners into the position of killing the bill. Imagine the political capital if we can hang enough good amendments onto S. 649 that Feinstein and Schumer have to filibuster the bill to keep it from passing. It would clarify for the masses that they are not about preventing gun violence and are only about restricting gun rights. It would be a crushing defeat. I am keeping an open mind for that reason. Also, I am reading each of the bills, not taking some politician's or reporter's word as to what the bills and amendments contain. I also plan to be active in the extreme. I have written Mary 4 times and called once. I have direct access to Vitter, Scalise and Cassidy so I know where they stand.

Gun owners need to make this a political and economic war. Boycott states that have bad laws. Encourage companies to leave those states, even if you have to do so with economic coercion. Contact legislators. Let them know that you single issue vote. Become informed. This is a serious assault on our rights. We should take the fight to our enemies.

Dan

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    There are both good and bad aspects of the Manchin Toomey amendment. Some parts are really good for gun owners. I like Coburn's background check method better. Gun owners need to watch for opportunity. We may come out of this process in better shape than when it started or force the anti gunners into the position of killing the bill. Imagine the political capital if we can hang enough good amendments onto S. 649 that Feinstein and Schumer have to filibuster the bill to keep it from passing. It would clarify for the masses that they are not about preventing gun violence and are only about restricting gun rights. It would be a crushing defeat. I am keeping an open mind for that reason. Also, I am reading each of the bills, not taking some politician's or reporter's word as to what the bills and amendments contain. I also plan to be active in the extreme. I have written Mary 4 times and called once. I have direct access to Vitter, Scalise and Cassidy so I know where they stand.

Gun owners need to make this a political and economic war. Boycott states that have bad laws. Encourage companies to leave those states, even if you have to do so with economic coercion. Contact legislators. Let them know that you single issue vote. Become informed. This is a serious assault on our rights. We should take the fight to our enemies.

Dan

I agree. Politics is like chess.

Top Bottom