Conditions Were Ideal at Gonzales Sunday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I was really kinda disappointed that I couldn't make the match. I had already scheduled to work at Honey Island that day. Do yall do any practices besides the matches?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I was really kinda disappointed that I couldn't make the match. I had already scheduled to work at Honey Island that day. Do yall do any practices besides the matches?

From time to time, but frankly, I look at matches as practice. Before I went distinguished, I used to say that all matches were practice for leg matches. Now they are all just practice. When I started, there were no ranges that had any shooting on non-match days. We just shot matches nearly every weekend (and travelled all over to do it).

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I'm not quite at the level that Dan's at, but I can show occasional flashes of brilliance (and failure, just ask him!!) This was at 500yds, and yes, the tiny black pasters you see are sighters, so I guess that Dan's famous quote applies to me!

That is like an 8" or 9" group at 500 yards. M1A, right? That is why we let you shoot on the team. :D I need to take a picture of Bob's 200-12X that he shot at 600 yds. the group is 8" wide, but only 2" tall. That is some hard holding. By the way, didn't Bob tie that score you pictured last time he was at Ft. Polk? :mamoru:

Everyone, these are some really good groups (and more importantly, scores), but you can learn to shoot a rifle like this. Non of us are any sort of rifle shooting prodigy. We learned the basics and practiced applying them. We can teach you how to do it if you are willing to put in the time.

Oh and shooting a score like that with an M1A is a lot harder than with most other rifles. If you have wind changes your sight adjustments are not as fine or repeatable as with an AR or a match rifle.

Dan

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    ... but the difference between your target and a 200-17x...grouping difference could be only about .65" right? ....You are modest, but a 2/3 an inch off record class is pretty good for a day in Gonzales.

Group doesn't matter. The difference is 7Xs. Putting the bullet in the right spot consistently is what counts. During 300 yard prone rapid strings I have put sub X-ring sized groups in the 9 ring. I still lost a pile of points. Likewise, there have been days where I have used every bit of the 10 ring, but my score was 100. Group size shows consistency, but it doesn't win these kinds of matches.

Dan

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Group doesn't matter. The difference is 7Xs. Putting the bullet in the right spot consistently is what counts. During 300 yard prone rapid strings I have put sub X-ring sized groups in the 9 ring. I still lost a pile of points. Likewise, there have been days where I have used every bit of the 10 ring, but my score was 100. Group size shows consistency, but it doesn't win these kinds of matches.

Dan

Precision (grouping) vs. accuracy (closeness to target). Need both to do well.

Good shootin' there Dan. Maybe someday I'll come give it a whirl, but for now my limited time is more devoted to practical shooting events (USPSA/IMGA).

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

Good shootin' there Dan. Maybe someday I'll come give it a whirl, but for now my limited time is more devoted to practical shooting events (USPSA/IMGA).

We have a saying - "A tight group is worth a half minute (of wind)." If your group is tight, you can miss your wind call by +/- 1/2MOA and still stay in the 10 ring. If you shoot a 10 ring sized group, you had better call your wind perfectly.

Dan

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La

Hey there spray and pray, I have everying you need, just make the time. You can even pick what rifle you want to shoot M1, M1A, or AR15.

Buck

PS: Dan is da BOMB!!!

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Here are a couple more targets shot by BS member RJenkins. The first is a 600 yd target scoring 200-12X (the 2 low shots were sighters). His first 4 record shots are 10s at 12 o'clock. After a sight correction, the rest are on the money. The horizontal stringing is due either to slight variations in the wind or the velocity of the bullet (slower bullet will hit both lower and more down wind). The second target is a 200-12X fired at the Gonzales 200 yd reduced course match. Both groups are well under 2 MOA and were shot from position with iron sights.

gipo9plreo23yawsrjo.jpg

1mq5lyx73sbiahjw7l6g.jpg

Top Bottom