Constitutional carry for Louisiana?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Or they just don't want the additional risk/complications added to every encounter...

Officer: Are you carrying a firearm?

Joe Schmoe: Yes I am! It's right here! (as he reaches for his pistol to show the officer)

As a CHP holder I must inform the LEO that I have a handgun on my person. So what happens with CC they just lie to the LEO?

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Exactly why we should make things better. Staus quo won't help.
    Agree 100% .Gun classes/ in school . Police department offering safety courses and basic training for new gun owners . It will not fix stupid and the stupid people will still do stupid things whether they have a license to do so or not . If having a license made things safer we would not need traffic cops .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Agree 100% .Gun classes/ in school . Police department offering safety courses and basic training for new gun owners . It will not fix stupid and the stupid people will still do stupid things whether they have a license to do so or not . If having a license made things safer we would not need traffic cops .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

We don't need traffic cops but we do need insurance.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    4-H has a shooting program in schools, but it depends on the adult volunteers. Woodville MS high school had this program for years, I don't know if they still do since the advisor recently died.

Our gun club in McComb has weekly air gun shoots to try to get youths involved. Don't wait for a government sponsored program (other than WLF), to bring gun safety programs into schools.

The NRA Eddie Eagle program taught in schools teaches kids to don't touch and run away when they see a gun. That might keep some kids from playing with guns, but unless firearm training is provided to the kids when they get older, the future voters may remain terrorized when they see a gun.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Or they just don't want the additional risk/complications added to every encounter...

Officer: Are you carrying a firearm?

Joe Schmoe: Yes I am! It's right here! (as he reaches for his pistol to show the officer)

Couldn’t you have the same situation with current permit holders?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    WBR has a hunters program for kids every year

I've participated in Turkey shoots on school grounds in the past.
    You pay 5 bucks,Step up to the line, Load their 1 shell aim and shoot the turkey paper target.
    The one with the most BB's in the turkeys head wins a turkey ready for the oven, The school raises money this way.
    I never brought home the turkey.
    There's always some jack-leg with a long tom shotgun that eats the turkey

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I've participated in Turkey shoots on school grounds in the past.
    You pay 5 bucks,Step up to the line, Load their 1 shell aim and shoot the turkey paper target.
    The one with the most BB's in the turkeys head wins a turkey ready for the oven, The school raises money this way.
    I never brought home the turkey.
    There's always some jack-leg with a long tom shotgun that eats the turkey

Man, I haven't heard of a turkey shoot in years. I won a turkey one time at a school in Chuckey TN with an 870 Express. The only difference there was they hung the targets backwards so you couldn't really see target, you basically aimed at a blank piece of paper.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Man, I haven't heard of a turkey shoot in years. I won a turkey one time at a school in Chuckey TN with an 870 Express. The only difference there was they hung the targets backwards so you couldn't really see target, you basically aimed at a blank piece of paper.

Lol, A bunch on here will have to google-fu an old time turkey shoot, It's when it goes live with a real turkeys head stuck up thru a hole.....

Men can be heathens !

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ some years ago I participated in a turkey shoot using a bow and arrow with the target as closest to the center of the eyeball . did not win but came in 3rd place. .............................................. drill sgt.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Sure, but there's a limited number of us out there... And by taking the class the holder should have at least been taught how to properly respond in a LEO encounter.

But we CHP holders have to notify the LEO that we have a concealed handgun on our person. The non CHP person wouldn't even have to tell the LEO

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    But we CHP holders have to notify the LEO that we have a concealed handgun on our person. The non CHP person wouldn't even have to tell the LEO

Then when you see LE, remove your permit from your person, then step outside!
    It works in the movies and TV!

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA

When I open carry in the car, I don't have to inform a LEO that I am armed since I haven't paid the state fee to exercise my rights (i.e. only a CHP permit requirement) - but I probably would advise him that I am armed. Then again, I haven't been stopped in 20 years so the issue is probably moot.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When I open carry in the car, I don't have to inform a LEO that I am armed since I haven't paid the state fee to exercise my rights (i.e. only a CHP permit requirement) - but I probably would advise him that I am armed. Then again, I haven't been stopped in 20 years so the issue is probably moot.

I'm talking about the ones that won't even give the LEO their right name so I bet they won't come clean about having a concealed handgun. I've been driving about 55 years and I've been stopped 3 times. And those times I was delivering news papers in the middle of the night. They were fishing for a drunk.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, the law is worded a bit awkwardly on this one, but the duty to notify law enforcement only seems to apply to concealed handgun permittees that are carrying concealed. From RS 40:1379.3(I)(2), to wit:

(2) A permittee armed with a handgun in accordance with this Section shall notify any police officer who approaches the permittee in an official manner or with an identified official purpose that he has a weapon on his person, submit to a pat down, and allow the officer to temporarily disarm him. Whenever a law enforcement officer is made aware that an individual is carrying a concealed handgun and the law enforcement officer has reasonable grounds to believe that the individual is under the influence of either alcohol or a controlled dangerous substance, the law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the handgun and request submission of the individual to a department certified chemical test for determination of the chemical status of the individual. Whenever a law enforcement officer is made aware that an individual is behaving in a criminally negligent manner as defined under the provisions of this Section, or is negligent in the carrying of a concealed handgun as provided for in R.S. 40:1382, the law enforcement officer may seize the handgun, until adjudication by a judge, if the individual is issued a summons or arrested under the provisions of R.S. 40:1382. Failure by the permittee to comply with the provisions of this Paragraph shall result in a six-month automatic suspension of the permit.

I would interpret this to mean that someone open carrying has no duty to inform law enforcement ... but I think that's one of those cases where I'd still notify in the interest of not causing any unpleasant surprises. Given that I'm not running from the law and don't have a habit of breaking the law, I'd give the police the benefit of the doubt here.

And in terms of constitutional carry—I would love to see this pass in Louisiana. I think the best angle legislatively is to push the "poll tax" angle of the Concealed Handgun Permit. It disenfranchises poor people from a Constitutionally-protected and fundamental right. If we still want to have the concept of a permit for state reciprocity, then fine ... but the exercise of one's Constitutional right in one's home state should not be taxable in this way.

Mike

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I know its hard hard for you city slickers to wrap you're head around this but....

Gun safety and handling are still taught today in some public schools w/ GASP live fire OMFG !!!

Its to meet the hunters safety course required by La law

That's great. We need a school based curriculum that teaches gun safety and creates a foundation of responsible gun ownership and it needs to be applied in all schools.

Top Bottom