Cop Rant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    From another forum:

The Thin Blue Line, Coparazzi, and other thoughts from a fustrated LEO... So consider this a NOT well written essay venting my fustrations with closed minded ignorant people that think all police are jack booted thugs out to suppress their rights while explaining some reality to those who care to open their minds and learn a little about who the average and majoity of police officers are. I am going to start by making no apologies for crappy grammer and what will probably be worse spelling.

What the Brotherhood of the Thin Blue Line really is:
    One of the things I am tired of hearing about is how horrible the Brotherhood of the Thin Blue line is. Yeah, there are those out there that wear a badge and uniform that are no better than the dirtbags that we lock up. And these dirtbag cops tend to protect each other's asses, throwing up the wall that covers each other. Thats NOT what the brotherhood is.

The brotherhood is about who a cop's family is. Some of us are lucky to have an understanding family to come home to. I'm not. Thats probably a good thing though. But I have my coworkers, who are also family to me. We see each other every day, for long periods of the day, and really know each other like best friends, or brothers.

When one of our brothers gets cancer, we pass the hat to help out. When one of our brothers pays the highest price for his service, we line the streets to wish him godspeed to his next patrol in the great beyond. When one of our brothers has a kid, we are there to light his cigar on that happy day.

The "Us vs. Them" mentality:
    Part of the "Us vs. Them" mentality that does really exist comes from this closeness we have with out co-workers. My beat partner is the guy I know. We work well together. We don't have to say what we are thinking. We communicate with a glance, and read each other's minds. My beat partner, my brother, he is the one I know has my back when the poo starts flying. He is the one I can expect to be there dragging my shot up ass to cover if it unfortunately ever comes to that.

Then there is "Them". The citizens. Does the average citizen have my back? Will the average citizen be standing there providing overwatch cover while I am interviewing the suspect? Is the average citizen there for me at my lowest time to share in my grief or pain? Is the average citizen there to celebrate in my joys? No. On most occasions they are not doing any of that. Its not their job and the average citizen isn't faulted for this.

There is something else that contributes to the "Us vs. Them" mentality. We are pushed to it by the citizens themselves. The majority of us John Law police are also John Q Citizens. But the rest of the John Q citizens want to look upon us with disdain when the law doesn't work in their favor. When we have to arrest John Q Citizen for hitting his wife, John Law becomes an ass in John Q's eyse . John Q doesn't tell his buddies he was wrong. John Q tells his buddies that John Law was wrong.

People like me get to log onto forums like this one, and read posts from people who think that the minority that makes up the bad officers is the majority. I read that I am one of them. I read that I am part of the problem. This gives me pause. This makes me wary of YOU. You don't like me, and you don't want to know me. You don't want to REALLY know me. You don't want to hear the TRUTH. You make yourself into one of THEM by alienating me and my brothers, who are nothing more than John Q Citizens, JUST LIKE YOU. In a nut shell, one of the biggest reasons there is an "Us vs. Them" mentality is because "Them" pushed "US" away!

Coparazzi and the Modern Media:
    So who likes having a camera shoved in their face for doing their job or while doing their job? Granted, the camera is often used to record LEO doing wrong. These are the videos we all get to see. These are the videos that are spread like wildfire to inflame the publics opinion. Who sees the videos of use doing our everyday job correctly?

But even when an officer is doing their job well and rightously, a camera is sometimes produced. And with the ussual media spin, and officer who is doing right is critiqued, criticized, and put on trial in the court of public opinion FOR HAVING DONE NO WRONG, and then he is found GUILTY because of people's ignorance.

I see it all the time on the news. An officer is video'ed trying to affect an an arrest on someone. That someone doesn't want to go to jail, and resists the lawful arrest. Force is applied, and the suspect is finally handcuffed...

..."Next on CNN, OH MY GOD! The horrible police punched that woman while trying to arrest her!" Does anybody want to hear or make mention about the woman kicking and punching the officer or spitting in his face? Nope. Because the officer is already guilty, because thats the only way the media has a story. And everybody is so ready to gobble up what the liberal media FEEDS them. Everbody is quick to judge and hang their BROTHER.

Don't get me wrong. The media does hit it out of the park sometimes and a bad cop gets ousted. That is great stuff. As embarassing as it is for me as a LEO to see it, its a relief to "have them gone."

So can I understand why some police act the way they do when someone pushes a camera in their face while they are tryinto do their job. Yes. Even when you are doing right, expect it to be spun the wrong way. How else will the media have a story?

But please don't mistake what I am saying as me condoning certain actions. I underatand why an officer may have acted a certain way, but I don't condone the behavior. Do you have the right to video me doing my job? Yep. Hell, I am videoing you! Should officers freak out and arrest people for it? Nope!

And the biggest irony is that everybody is so quick to embrace the biased and slanted story that is fed to them by the liberal media! No one wants to wait to see how it works out. No one wants to wait to hear the officer's side of the story! No one wants to UNDERSTAND why the situation went down the way it went down! No one wants an untainted TRUTH from wich to make an informed opinion from. They want blood. They want to HATE. Often, but not all the time, they want to hate the wrong person.

What Happens When an Officer Does Wrong:
    My God! Do the majority of the people actually believe we cover each others back and cover "it" up when one of us does wrong? Holy Lord NO!

Yes, the bad ones cover each other's backs. They are the minority though. For the majority of us, something else happens.

I have experienced this a bunch of times for myself. I have had FRIENDS do wrong. It becomes very uncomfortable. They were your friend, but now, they are a pariah. They go from the person you used to trust with your life to the person you are too ashamed to talk to. You pass them in the supermarket and exchange uncomfortable pleasentries. But you do it fast and you don't make idle chit chat. You don't want to be associated with them. They've become disavowed.

But some of the discomfort is actually good. Their situations and actions cause us to reflect inwardly on ourselves. It reminds those of us that are moral and ethical, us the MJORITY, that in our day to day lives that it is so easy to fall astray.

We have a commonly quoted saying; "I'll do whatever you need me to do to get your back. But I'll be damned if I do something for you that is going to have me end up sitting on the stand on charges in a Federal Courthouse."

The Great Conspiracy:
    Guess what guys; there is no great conspiracy that the cops are trying to take your rights away and supress you. We don't have some seceret network where we discuss and plan some kind of impending slavery for everybody. WE ARE YOU! I am a cop. I am also a CITIZEN! I collect guns JUST LIKE YOU! I work on my truck JUST LIKE YOU! I drink beer with my friends, JUST LIKE YOU! I fall asleep mext to my woman, JUST LIKE YOU! I pay my bills (or try to!) JUST LIKE YOU! I am subject to all of the laws just like you! We don't make the laws. Thats YOUR responsibility. TAKE UP THAT RESPONSIBLITY! OWN THAT RESPONSIBILITY!

On Professional Courtesy:
    So I have been pulled over for speeding before. Actually, I will admit that I have been pulled over for speeding on a couple of occassions. When the officer approaches my door, I tell them, "Hi sir, I just want you to know I have a loaded firearm on my passenger seat/on my person/under my seat. Here are my credentials to carry it." Have I ever gotten a ticket since becoming a cop? NOPE! Do cops give cops tickets? ALL THE FREAKING TIME! Hell, I've even arrested COPS and/or their spouses!

But guess what! I give more breaks to the average citizen than the number of times I encounter off-duty LEOs. Hell, I haven't written a speeding ticket since 2007! I have only written one ticket in the month of May, but gave out near 100 warnings!

Professional Courtesy exists in almost all professions! Do you pitch a fit when one doctor gives his/her services to another doctor for free? Nope! But when one officer lets another officer go with a warning, we sure as hell hear about that! But its okay for us to let other people off.

So Why is the Cop Problem Growing?
    I actually don't think the police are getting worse or the porblem is growing. I think the exposure the bad stuff is just getting more numerous. I think its just more common to see the bad stuf publisized. But I think this stuff has been going on for a long time, just not publisized to the point it is today.

I have heard some of the old timers tell sotries that just downright shocked me. Beatings and false arrests have been occurring forever. The only difference is that today, it is publisized more. Its not happening more, we just notice it more.

If anything, there is MORE ACCOUNTABILITY these days. In the past couple of decades, we the police have been actually held more accountable for our actions. We hold ourselves accountable as well as the public holds us accountable. BAD Cops are getting away with LESS! There is MORE prosecution and punishment of bad police today.

There is not some new war going on! Its the same war thats been going on since someone took or appointed a position of authority. The only difference today is now the good guys are winning the battles, and people get to learn of that. Bad cops are being prosecutied and punished more these days than any other time. And its not because there are more bad cops and bad incidents. Its because of reform in how bad cops are exposed,handled, and ousted/punished! The problem is not growing rampent, its just more exposed!

So What Do I Expect From You?
    I don't want your sympathy. My life is tough. Others have it tougher. Others deserve your sympathy. I have a sh-tty job. (I've been sh-t on, thrown up on, punched, kicked, amost killed, spit on, yelled at, dog bit, etc...) I LOVE IT! (except for the sh-t on, thrown up on, punched, kicked, amost killed, spit on, yelled at, dog bit, etc...) LOL

So what do I really expect from you?

A chance. I expect a chance to EARN your RESPECT. I expect the little bit of respect that should be accorded to everybody off the bat. I expect an open mind from you. Without that, how can I show you that I AM YOU. I am a regular person.

I expect a place I can come to to learn more about my hobby and exchange information and help others learn, with another sort of family (XDTalk). I expect to be able to do this without reading how much of a piece of sh-t I am because of people posting while being ignorant WITH ONLY THEIR ONE-SIDED VIEW. (I have both views. I've been "messed with" by the police, and I am now the police. I am John Law AND I am John Q Public)

In closing...
    So I am expecting a whole bunch of different responses. Of course there will be the supportive and understanding responses. And for those, thank you.

But lets sit back and see how the negative, flaming responses roll in. Lets see how articulate the arguements can be.

I will not respond to anything I take as being a beligerent post. I will "turn my cheak" and ignore it. I will however welcome any academic discussion on these topics, in my favor or not.

It has been my goal to write this in a non-beligerent manner. I truely hope I was able to accomplish that. My goal is not to insight a cyber riot here on XDTalk. Not to start argueing, but to rather conversation.

I am not feeling all that articulate myself, having just woken up and typed this, but I've tried. So if there is anything I can expand upon or clarify, please ask.

And finally; be safe, look out for one another, and enjoy your hobby! __________________
    -John
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Oh waaahhh..Here's a tissue. It's a job. How about posting a rant from a trash collector. Let's hear about how crappy things are with him. How he has to work with assholes whole show up for work drunk or high if at all. How he is out there in the dark, in the cold, the heat, the rain. Grabbing trash cans packed overflowing with peoples stinking waste. worrying about throwing his back out and getting run over by drivers in a hurry and not paying attention to him doing his job. How he knows his partner in the truck can understand with just a glance or a whistle to stop or move the truck when he needs it done. blaa blaa blaa. Let's stop putting certain jobs on a pedestal. Cops have it tough but so do lots of folks.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Here's some minor peeves about citizens - Walking up in the middle of a stop/encounter, the nature or danger level of which they have no inkling of, to ask me where the Wal-Mart is or which nearby hotel is cheapest (and tons of other stupid, inane queries that have actually been asked of me by people doing this). - Stopping and blocking up a lane of travel on a multi-lane highway to do me the courtesy of waving me out as I sit, like any other vehicle, with blinker on waiting for ALL lanes to safely clear. Please just drive on rather than holding up and complicating other traffic, I'll go when I see the proper safe opening, and if you want to do me a courtesy, unless I have emergency lights flashing and siren wailing, do me the courtesy of following the rules of the road like I'm doing. - Refusing to learn their way around the town they live in, alternate routes home, or at least the ability to use a map in a pinch, causing them to totally ignore any direction signals given to them by myself when I'm directing traffic at the intersection of two major multi-lane highways and pull up and stop directly in the middle of said intersection to ask either "Can't I go that way to go home?", pointing in the direction of the 25 police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, and derailed train cars blocking their path, or "How can I get to Wal-Mart if I can't go that way?" as huge billows of black smoke roll across the fire hose-gridded roadway from a ginormous structure fire up ahead. If I have the opportunity, I like to ask how long they've lived in town to gauge just how clueless they really are. - Seeing me on a Thursday in my local, municipal officer uniform in St. Tammany Parish in the convenience store line and asking me "So what was that big deal on the I-10 in Baton Rouge on Monday that had everything shut down?" Note to all citizens: We do not listen to cryptic drumbeats or read smoke signals in the sky informing us of all police activity everywhere all the time. If it's Thursday and the incident was Monday, I was probably off and doing my level best to not be involved in any way, shape, or form with police work. - The elderly gentleman walking down the sidewalk in the middle of summer looks confused or distressed enough for you to call and report an "elderly male possibly confused or ill from the heat", but not confused or distressed enough for you to stop and verify such or offer help yourself. Do that and those nail salon women will move right on to the next appointment on the list and just plain skip you. By the way, he was just walking home from the gym. - Walking by as I stand at a detail somewhere like Wal-Mart or a hospital and telling me "Smile! Don't look so grumpy!" Guess what, you'd be grumpy too if you had to work additional hours nearly totaling a second job to make ends meet because someone else got to vote to decide if you could get a raise every year. - "You don't think we should have a Mardi Gras parade here? You guys all say that!" When I can walk into your place of employment, file a piece of paper, pay a small fee, and perpetually take some annual holiday away from you and your family, then you can have your Mardi Gras day parade here. Until then, go to New Orleans where Mardi Gras belongs. - "I hate to interrupt you, but..." Obviously, you don't hate to interrupt me if you are speaking those words as I sit eating my lunch during the 1/2 hour out of the 12 hour shift when I have the opportunity to do so. Just be honest and say "I don't care that I'm interrupting you because it is absolutely important to me and me alone that I learn with the utmost immediacy whether leaves from my neighbor's trees falling on my lawn are his responsibility to rake." - Just a few off the top of my head, as far as insight as to why cops sometimes seem bothered and let professionalism slip a bit.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Lol. Yale,I hope you were being sarcastic about the trash man. All jobs suck to a degree, LEO just deal with people not trash.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Oh waaahhh..Here's a tissue. It's a job. How about posting a rant from a trash collector. Let's hear about how crappy things are with him. How he has to work with assholes whole show up for work drunk or high if at all. How he is out there in the dark, in the cold, the heat, the rain. Grabbing trash cans packed overflowing with peoples stinking waste. worrying about throwing his back out and getting run over by drivers in a hurry and not paying attention to him doing his job. How he knows his partner in the truck can understand with just a glance or a whistle to stop or move the truck when he needs it done. blaa blaa blaa. Let's stop putting certain jobs on a pedestal. Cops have it tough but so do lots of folks.

Then you won't mind if I care not a wit about your issues or plights.

Come to think of it, your attitude could change my thinking about OC advocates.............

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Then you won't mind if I care not a wit about your issues or plights.

Come to think of it, your attitude could change my thinking about OC advocates.............

Yale,

You have an issue with the police. It's ok, I respect your opinion. I'm sure it's because you want to be one really bad. It's evident in the photos you post on the Internet of yourself in your OC rig and your vest.

Bayoupiper,

I'm with you. He wants acceptance and cooperation with LE in regards to OC, but makes a post like that.

JR1572

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Yale,

You have an issue with the police. It's ok, I respect your opinion. I'm sure it's because you want to be one really bad. It's evident in the photos you post on the Internet of yourself in your OC rig and your vest.

Wait.....Rig and vest???????

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Let's not forget his assortment of scanners. My guess is someone couldn't pass the psych eval or found the Academy too physically demanding.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge

Tell you what. Next time someone comes into your house, steals all your stuff, and murders someone you care about, call the garbage man. No one wants to kill the garbage man for doing his job.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    How he has to work with assholes whole show up for work drunk or high if at all. How he is out there in the dark, in the cold, the heat, the rain. worrying about throwing his back out and getting run over by drivers in a hurry and not paying attention to him doing his job. How he knows his partner in the truck can understand with just a glance or a whistle to stop or move the truck when he needs it done.

That's almost an exact description of what I did for 15 years as a paramedic on the street...:exnbp:

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    head in the sand? or elsewhere

Are you kidding me, Yale? I'm sorry(or glad you are blissfully unaware of our plight) you don't have to deal with the "$h!t of mankind" of the like that lopes around Baton Rouge. Generational addiction to drugs, government dependency, immorality, including being born into "I ain't friggin workin' ever", " I don't give a fu(k attitude and rudeness" and ...just gonna "get money" makes BR a place that is grateful for our LEO's. They deal with more worthless/meaningless/senseless calls all day than I could have ever possibly imagined. My job puts me in a position to extract money from the same people these guys have to babysit all day every day. It's a new world that has been skewed by social program fans and we are all paying the price. The threats that they can back up because they don't care about prison (because its better than the life they were able to make for themselves) are real. They don't care. We gotta watch our behinds here. Thanks to any of you on here who are BRPD, EMS, BRFD and service personnel across the state. I appreciate what you deal with every day.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Tell you what. Next time someone comes into your house, steals all your stuff, and murders someone you care about, call the garbage man. No one wants to kill the garbage man for doing his job.

^
    Xactly this.
    And "YALE": sorry you don't like being a garbage man - it is, IMO, an honorable and necessary profession. You should try to have pride in whatever you do to make a living.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Didn't want anyone to feel left out of my praise, that's why I included "Service personnel across the state", didn't want to leave out a soul that does the good work. Please don't think I don't appreciate each and every one. Because I do. I just grabbed the first few. Please know that. My post was long enuf already after i got on my soapbox. EBRSO and the Constables are just as much in the cross hairs (if not more) in BR as any of the rest. Thanks to all. :cheers:-PC

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I was once a reserve with the department Kraut works for. His remarks concerning Mardi Gras parades are poignant. When I was there, the reserves handled ALL the security and traffic for the parades. We had 40 plus officers and all were expected to be there for these events unless you were dead or dying. For many years this worked to the advantage of the department, the city, (free manpower) and the public. These events were well planned, duties and locations pre-assigned, inexperienced officers were paired with veterans, and all the parades ran smoothly and efficiently--until. Until politics and money crept in.

A small (but vocal and influential) group began to complain they were being cheated out of overtime they could earn if the reserves were not working the parades(for free). At first the dept. and the city ignored this as much money was being saved by utilizing the free manpower. So this group changed tactics--officers (myself included) began to be harassed/written up for anything which irritated the members of the public in the slightest way during the course of the parades. One of these "irritations" was(and is) the placing of barricades at intersecting streets along the parade route. Traffic was (and is) allowed to cross the main route until the leading edges of the parade got within an arbitrary distance of these streets at which time the barricades were put in place. At that time, no traffic was allowed to cross or go along the main route. "Can I cross here" the woman asks. "No ma'am--not until the parade passes this point." She would complain to the dept. but this was not entertained--until. At this point I should explain that it was POLICY that once the barricades went up, no one may cross until the parade passed. The chief himself(Morris) stood in front of our group and VERY forcefully(on many occasions) said that anyone disobeying a barricade was to be cited. UNTIL--politics reared it's head. Eventually after every parade, folks would be called in and asked why they did not let so-and-so through the barricade, why were you rude to them, you could have made an exception--and more. More and more foolishness was entertained to the point where many of us tried to get out of doing this work--and did. I was not volunteering my time for this stupidness. Gradually the numbers of the reserves fell off until only 6-7 were left out of the original 40 plus. Now the city had to use full time officers and pay them overtime for work formerly gotten for free. But there is another element to this--many full time officers were not interested in nursemaiding the public at the parades(for reasons mentioned and more) even for overtime. Lots of these officers had already worked more than a few details to make ends meet--but these "special" events are/were not optional. So the overtime was forced--and on a weekend--when these officers want to be with their families. As they were/are forced to work, have to put up with the politics, stupid people(drunk too), can't be with their families at a time that should be theirs, it is no wonder there was an effort to do away with the parades.

I watched a drug bust at Tammany Mall years ago. STPSO, Slidell PD, and DEA had three guys on the ground about 75 feet from the entrance to the food court. About 15 officers, guns out, formed a semi-circle around the bad guys right in one of the traffic lanes. Two women with children in strollers walked right up to the edge of the perimeter and tried to go right on through pushing the kids in front of the guns!! Both pitched a fit when told they could not go this way! "Why not?" Yes--they actually asked that. I can relate stories like this for hours.

As Kraut says, I too was interrupted many times during a break to be asked mundane things like, "can I shoot my .22 off the side of Gause Blvd?" Actual question asked of my partner and myself while eating at the McDonalds on Gause. "Yes ma'am, you can but you may not." "Why not?" Because if you do, you will be arrested she was told. "Well, you officers need to come over to our house this weekend and let us have a cookout for you." "Why is that?" "Well--we are from St. Bernard and we know all the officers there so they let us do what we want. Once we get to know you, we know you will do the same." Seems they used to stop on the side of the highway and shoot frogs in the ditches. Once the deputies saw who they were, no action was taken--and I believe her!!

A reserve occupies a unique place in the police/civilian community. In effect, he/she sits on a social/political fence. At their discretion, they may step over to the police side, or the go back over to the civilian side and as a result it is possible for them to see both sides of the civilian/police "issue". I was constantly in conflict with trying to "side" (or not) with one or the other because of the politics of police work the public does not see.

Here are some examples. At a local football game, I personally witnessed a full time officer arrest a man for selling weed right by the exit gate--and on school property. He actually watched the sale occur from about 10 feet away! The perp was totally unconcerned with his presence--he actually insisted he could not be arrested! Good arrest I thought and went home. Several weeks later this officer had charges trumped up on him and was forced to leave the department. The arrestee was a snitch. He was giving the narcs good info and so was being allowed to sell drugs in exchange for solid arrests. The arresting officer charged him as a prior offender which would have meant lots of jail time. Being a good snitch, the hierarchy tried to get the officer to "un-arrest him." When he would not, they lost a source of good info and the arresting officer was forced out of his job.

This "event" is why it is so difficult for the decent officers to effectively get rid of the bad ones. If an officer is blatantly involved in/doing things he/she should not, they frequently have the overt/covert support of the higher ups. Make waves--you won't go anywhere, or will be forced out of your job, jailed, humiliated, and much more. This can be seen in the NOPD. Wrongdoing is blatant, historical, imbedded and unless the top brass are gotten rid of, this will never change.

Top Bottom