Cop Rant

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Oh waaahhh..Here's a tissue. It's a job. How about posting a rant from a trash collector. Let's hear about how crappy things are with him. How he has to work with assholes whole show up for work drunk or high if at all. How he is out there in the dark, in the cold, the heat, the rain. Grabbing trash cans packed overflowing with peoples stinking waste. worrying about throwing his back out and getting run over by drivers in a hurry and not paying attention to him doing his job. How he knows his partner in the truck can understand with just a glance or a whistle to stop or move the truck when he needs it done. blaa blaa blaa. Let's stop putting certain jobs on a pedestal. Cops have it tough but so do lots of folks.

WTF?

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's some minor peeves about citizens - Walking up in the middle of a stop/encounter, the nature or danger level of which they have no inkling of, to ask me where the Wal-Mart is or which nearby hotel is cheapest (and tons of other stupid, inane queries that have actually been asked of me by people doing this). - Stopping and blocking up a lane of travel on a multi-lane highway to do me the courtesy of waving me out as I sit, like any other vehicle, with blinker on waiting for ALL lanes to safely clear. Please just drive on rather than holding up and complicating other traffic, I'll go when I see the proper safe opening, and if you want to do me a courtesy, unless I have emergency lights flashing and siren wailing, do me the courtesy of following the rules of the road like I'm doing. - Refusing to learn their way around the town they live in, alternate routes home, or at least the ability to use a map in a pinch, causing them to totally ignore any direction signals given to them by myself when I'm directing traffic at the intersection of two major multi-lane highways and pull up and stop directly in the middle of said intersection to ask either "Can't I go that way to go home?", pointing in the direction of the 25 police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, and derailed train cars blocking their path, or "How can I get to Wal-Mart if I can't go that way?" as huge billows of black smoke roll across the fire hose-gridded roadway from a ginormous structure fire up ahead. If I have the opportunity, I like to ask how long they've lived in town to gauge just how clueless they really are. - Seeing me on a Thursday in my local, municipal officer uniform in St. Tammany Parish in the convenience store line and asking me "So what was that big deal on the I-10 in Baton Rouge on Monday that had everything shut down?" Note to all citizens: We do not listen to cryptic drumbeats or read smoke signals in the sky informing us of all police activity everywhere all the time. If it's Thursday and the incident was Monday, I was probably off and doing my level best to not be involved in any way, shape, or form with police work. - The elderly gentleman walking down the sidewalk in the middle of summer looks confused or distressed enough for you to call and report an "elderly male possibly confused or ill from the heat", but not confused or distressed enough for you to stop and verify such or offer help yourself. Do that and those nail salon women will move right on to the next appointment on the list and just plain skip you. By the way, he was just walking home from the gym. - Walking by as I stand at a detail somewhere like Wal-Mart or a hospital and telling me "Smile! Don't look so grumpy!" Guess what, you'd be grumpy too if you had to work additional hours nearly totaling a second job to make ends meet because someone else got to vote to decide if you could get a raise every year. - "You don't think we should have a Mardi Gras parade here? You guys all say that!" When I can walk into your place of employment, file a piece of paper, pay a small fee, and perpetually take some annual holiday away from you and your family, then you can have your Mardi Gras day parade here. Until then, go to New Orleans where Mardi Gras belongs. - "I hate to interrupt you, but..." Obviously, you don't hate to interrupt me if you are speaking those words as I sit eating my lunch during the 1/2 hour out of the 12 hour shift when I have the opportunity to do so. Just be honest and say "I don't care that I'm interrupting you because it is absolutely important to me and me alone that I learn with the utmost immediacy whether leaves from my neighbor's trees falling on my lawn are his responsibility to rake." - Just a few off the top of my head, as far as insight as to why cops sometimes seem bothered and let professionalism slip a bit.

Everyone except the owner has a say in who gets a raise and when. If you don't want a "vote" for your pay increase, then do not work for the government which lives off the hard work of others.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Everyone except the owner has a say in who gets a raise and when. If you don't want a "vote" for your pay increase, then do not work for the government which lives off the hard work of others.

And I supposed your living is NOT funded off the hard work of others?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I don't understand why anyone would want to be a cop if they don't enjoy being a cop.

I'd imagine that's when a bad cop begins. Parenting is tough, we bitch about it some days but we wouldn't give it up for the world and we do love every moment or most of them. If a parent truly hates the job, and by extension, the "people they work for", bad things happen.

At least that's my analogy. :)

Good cops take the opportunity to retire or find a new career. And here is no parental analogy for that.

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I don't understand why anyone would want to be a cop if they don't enjoy being a cop.
    Who said I don't like being a cop. Like any job, there are aspects that are aggravating and tend to be b!tched about, and people that are irritating and get under your skin. Doesn't mean I don't like the job, just understand that Andy Griffith I ain't.
    I think you are confusing government with bureaucracy. One is an appropriately established and managed civil function and the other is a bloated, wasteful, self-serving monster that suckles the entitlement class. The only thing you are entitled to from the police department is professional service in the pursuit of justice and public safety. If you don't want to "vote" for that, fine, but you will be one of those who suffer when the job of police officer declines so far that the only people that apply to do it are those that think they are "entitled" to a job just like they are currently "entitled" to the spoils provided by the bureaucracy they have fed off of their entire lives.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I'm the Honey Badger of Cops. I love my job and I am proffessional but I don't give a ****. Your issue is not unique, its not a snowflake. I will do my best to address it but don't kid yourself I am not nor will I be emotionally invested. Sorry.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well if these ****ing sperm and egg donors would stop ****ing like animals and spitting out kids just because they can. And if you're going to have kids don't be so worried about being the cool mom or dad and be a ****ing parent and teach the damn kids right from wrong and how to act and to obey the laws. The LEO's and everybody's job would be easier.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I see someone took the bait...

DSCF1076_800x600.jpg

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Or the questions about some heinous (or not) incident. Folks think all the cops are tied in and communicate with each other. The truth is, a street cop's world is rather narrow, and confined to his "beat" for the most part. If it didn't happen on his shift, he probably has no clue about it.

My brother-in-law is with BRPD. He and my sister were dating back before Derrick Todd Lee was captured, and I remember my dad asking him one Sunday at a family gathering what was going on with the case and if any progress was being made. His reply really made me laugh. He said something to the effect of "If you've read the morning paper, you know more about the progress on the case than I do." He was not a part of that task force, and he knew just what anyone else knew - what he saw from the press.

cajunranger

Ghost
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    DeRidder
    I can leave my door unlocked or even garage door open....thank god for the police. I feel safe in my home. (of course my arsonal helps). But bottom line, you guys and gals are doing a thankless job. I will be the first to stand up and say Thank you. (no, i'm not a LEO)

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I've been approached more in the past 6 months by random people on the street and had people say things like "thank you for all that you do" It's happened in the past, but not NEARLY the volume that I'm seeing now.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The only thing you are entitled to from the police department is professional service in the pursuit of justice and public safety. If you don't want to "vote" for that, fine, but you will be one of those who suffer when the job of police officer declines so far that the only people that apply to do it are those that think they are "entitled" to a job just like they are currently "entitled" to the spoils provided by the bureaucracy they have fed off of their entire lives.

Which is, I think, what has happend to NOPD over time. The guys I know there are all good people, but some of their co-workers leave MUCH to be desired.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Also, details of the investigation were deliberately not made available to the rank and file... because they were initially thinking it was a cop doing the crimes.

Same deal with Henry Lee Lucas in Monroe back in the 80s. That one got so bad, a rift developed between the street cops and the investigators... all because a couple of investigators were total dumb-asses.

But that's another story...

I keep thinking about the Derrick Todd case with the issues going on up in Long Island. Holy cow, *IF* it's true and they have two cops, two different serial killers, two MOs, two different time lines and one dumping ground and still missing the original missing person?

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Also, details of the investigation were deliberately not made available to the rank and file... because they were initially thinking it was a cop doing the crimes.

Ok, perhaps that was a bad example. But as to your original statement, I do agree. More often than not, when a story involving the police is on the news, he doesn't know any more about it than most everyone else.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    The truth is, a street cop's world is rather narrow, and confined to his "beat" for the most part. If it didn't happen on his shift, he probably has no clue about it.

True... unless it comes over Dispatch South while I'm X8 on regular duty, I don't know about it. The only details I work I sit in a bank or a guard shack so I don't have the radio running and I don't drive my unit when I'm off. I'll read the little brief synopsis in the supervisor's log when I return to duty but that's pretty much it.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I've been approached more in the past 6 months by random people on the street and had people say things like "thank you for all that you do" It's happened in the past, but not NEARLY the volume that I'm seeing now.

Funny aside related to this, at the Rush concert the other night some stoner-lookin' dude next to our group, apparently gleaning through conversation, heard that I was a cop and when we stood for the intermission he did the "I want to thank you for what you do keeping us safe" bit. Less than five minutes later as I stood in the line waiting for an open urinal he walked right in front of me along the line asking "Anyone got any benzos? Benzos or mushrooms?" Thankfully after his girlfriend, who was way more bombed than him, fell and splattered her beer all over the floor, they did not return to their seats for the remainder of the concert. Guess she got worse and they had to leave.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yale,

You have an issue with the police. It's ok, I respect your opinion. I'm sure it's because you want to be one really bad. It's evident in the photos you post on the Internet of yourself in your OC rig and your vest.

Bayoupiper,

I'm with you. He wants acceptance and cooperation with LE in regards to OC, but makes a post like that.

JR1572

But then IYO most people do and I know of one you were incorrect about. I wonder if there are others?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom