DELETE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    La. does have a minimum liability limit but don't remember what it was. Have you thought about going thru your insurance instead? What I find odd is that the girls insurance agent is trying to get you to settle instead of an adjuster. This happened yesterday, the 8th? Somebody needs to do an appraisal on the vehicle before any property can be settled. What insurance company does she have?? I was an automotive claims appraiser years ago and only dealt with the property stuff. I'm presently going thru something similar where my daughter got rear ended and totalled the car and she has been going for treatment for her neck and upper shoulders since..Property is settled already but ended up getting with an attorney because our deadline to settle (1 year) is very near and we are really ignorant on the injury stuff and just want a fair settlement and not trying to gouge anybody. Also,not all attorneys that deal in this stuff are the types you find advertising on TV.

rapaint66

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    South Baton Rouge
    Sorry, It happened on the 7th. The progressive agent called us last night and informed us that it is totaled and wants us to come in Monday to settle. We have not even recieved the Hospital bills or Acadian Ambulance bills or anything. I called our agency, state farm, and they said that we needed to work through the responsible parties insurance first and if not satisfied we can then go through ours. Like you, not interested in gouging anyone. Just want a fast and fair resolution so that we can move on with our lives. Looks like the legal minmum is Louisiana 15/30/25. So 15k for hospital bills for first person injured(My wife) and 25k in property damage I assume for the replacement cost of the vehicle and any other property damage. We were just curious if they have an obligation to disclose what coverage they really have.

Corvette Racer

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    GET A LAWYER! Your wife can have injuries that come up down the road. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING!!!

I recommend Andre LaPlace. He is my family attorney and has done right by me in several accidents.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I would NOT get in any rush to settle the medical with them..like said above, she could have some problems that will not go away any time soon. You have a year to deal with it. In the mean time I'd check out NADA and Kelly Blue book to get an idea if they are treating you right on the property settlement--I know how that is needing a vehicle when she has to go to work. If you end up going thru SF on your comp/collision you will have to pay your deductible, which will be deducted from the value of the vehicle plus tax.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    If this helps ,my son was in an accident a couple years ago. The insurance company paid for the vehicle separate to his injuries . He was rear ended ,but the other operator had the min. limits of liability of $15,000 , which didn't pay all his medical bills .
    If he would've had under insured on his car it would have paid the difference . Be very careful what you sign including a check cut to you for the vehicle.

If your wife was hospitalized ,don't be in a hurry to settle for injuries . Hope this helps.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ok... sorry you're going through this...
    your car is a separate issue from the injuries. It sounds as if the other carrier has accepted liability. They owe you the value of the car. Most decent companies pay retail nada plus you can request sales tax. The fact that your car is worth more to you than that is not something recognized by law. Sometimes you can argue that you just put new tires, etc. You can settle the vehicle without settling the injuries.

Your wife's injuries are something they are going to want to discuss with her. They do not have to disclose the limits to you. The limits have nothing to do with whether you should get an attorney. You want to be made whole and by that I mean medical bills paid and some compensation for the pain, trouble, missed work, etc. I get that. An attorney is going to take a sizable portion of the limited money available. From what I've seen the size of the settlement goes up with an attorney but the client doesn't necessarily end up with more money. My advice is to talk to the insurance company but don't agree to anything now. She could have long term problems from this. Wait 3 months and see how she is doing. You have a year so be patient. Its all about getting her well, right? You didn't just hit the lotto. While the settlement practice tends to be somewhat adversarial it doesn't have to be unpleasant. He has a job to do, you are trying to get an appropriate settlement. If you don't act mercenary from the start, things will go better.

king4456

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Prairieville
    Limits in Louisiana are 15k minimum and Louisiana is a non disclosure state. You won't know the limits unless they tell you. Don't sign anything and what you have put on this forum already is not good. Delete and get a lawyer. Or ask for PMs on advice.

Top Bottom