Did The Colonel Really Just Say That?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I know some people will think I am nit picking, but yesterday during the 6:00 pm press briefing in Lafayette (Lafayette Sheriff, LSP Chief, and Jindall), Colonel Mike Edmonson actually referred to the shooter's gun's magazine as a "clip."

I cannot find any technical reference to a pistol or firearm magazine referred to by any gun maker or expert as a clip.

Why would the head of the state police not know that? And believe me, I am not knocking the guy. I have a lot of respect for him and the job he does; but that is troubling to me.

Then I heard WWL do it, and WBRZ. Of course I don't expect the news media to get that right, but the Colonel?

Am I being too critical?

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    I know a few LEO's that aren't really "gun guys". One being a DEA agent that kicks down doors. He knows that its a magazine but not a LEO's are into the tactical aspect of the job. Kinda like Ive called the black wasp-like bug a "Mud diver" my entire life. Well about a year ago someone that lives outside my area corrected me and informed me it was a "mud dauber". I still say diver...

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Because stripper clips used to fill magazines. Back in the day it was a common albeit incorrect reference.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    Yeah the only incorrect gun terminology that bothers me is when you call my ar15 a machine gun. I don't even care if you call it an assault rifle, I don't care if you say silencer or suppressor, magazine or clip, precision rifle or sniper rifle. Terminology doesn't matter to me unless it totally changes the legality of it. I'm on the fence about weather m4/m16 vs ar15 bothers me, but a lot of people don't know the diff.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I hear "clip" so much at the range that I sometimes use the term incorrectly myself. As long as the folks I am talking to get my meaning, I can live with it. But I prefer the term "magazine".

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Keep in mind that his background is in PR. He may have purposely called it a clip so that the media types who don't really know what a magazine is would understand.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Keep in mind that his background is in PR. He may have purposely called it a clip so that the media types who don't really know what a magazine is would understand.

And LSU's football coach was never safer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    The NRA's Rifleman addressed this awhile back. Through some lengthy jabber they convinced me clip was OK. Still don't like it or use it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Exactly! If you care enough to learn the difference, you should understand the difference!

My biggest problem with the Colonel using that INCORRECT terminology is either he doesn't know (the worst option), he doesn't care (not very comforting option), or he is lazy (very discomforting since he is the head of the department).

If having him at a press conference is important because of who he is, then he should report the facts accurately BECAUSE of who he is!

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    I don't see what the fuss is. This comes up rather often. Either term is just a "name" used to refer to the item. Same as if you call your rifle an "AR-15" or "AR15". If it isn't a Colt branded rifle, then it shouldn't be because Colt owns the copyright to those two names and insists they should only be used to refer to their rifle. Or what do you call your aluminum flat bottomed boat. Is it a bateau, jon boat, flat, or yawl?

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Personally I thought he was very well spoken for someone giving what seemed to be an off the cuff speech during such an emotional time. He did much better than I would have, and I can't pick this apart on whether he said magazine or clip. I'm betting he likely said the term he felt most would understand.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    It was a Hi-Point maybe that's what they call them.

When I first knew him we were working wrecks when he first became a Trooper. He had a revolver then

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't see what the fuss is. This comes up rather often. Either term is just a "name" used to refer to the item. Same as if you call your rifle an "AR-15" or "AR15". If it isn't a Colt branded rifle, then it shouldn't be because Colt owns the copyright to those two names and insists they should only be used to refer to their rifle. Or what do you call your aluminum flat bottomed boat. Is it a bateau, jon boat, flat, or yawl?

When I found out that AR stood for Armalite, I stopped calling my rifles "AR's". Why? Because it is not accurate names for those rifles. That is a trademark name, which makes it worse. It's like calling any cola soda a "Coke." Is it incorrectly done all the time? Sure! It is still incorrect.

As the American lexicon gets further watered down to make it easier for lazy people to speak; so goes the accurate use of the language.

If the irony is lost on the fact that the chief officer for the biggest police force in the state is incorrectly detailing the parts of the firearm used to commit an unlawful act, then I suppose if he refers to the blade of a knife as the "sharp part" that will be ok too. :doh:

How about if doctors start referring to your heart as the "blood pumping thing-a-ma-jig?" Scientist start calling "Heavy water" from a nuclear reactor, the "green liquid from the Simpson's cartoon?"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom