Do you eat off of your land?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you eat off of your land?

• No, not interested.

Votes: 3 12.5%
    • No, I want to but dont know enough.

Votes: 2 8.3%
    • No, but I have plans and am working on it.

Votes: 5 20.8%
    • Yes, and I love it/I'm adding more!

Votes: 10 41.7%
    • Yes, but it is over rated/I'm winding down.

• Yes, I hunt it but do not grow fruit/vegetables.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    check the above post. Thanks for doing what you're doing!

I was born a city boy but I plan to leave a family legacy farm.
    Thanks for the links above - maybe I can reclaim a few of my tax dollars too! We leased it for years, but I don't need the small income and a few more acres of beans isn't going to make a difference. Knowing that my future grand-kids have a place to quietly unwind just sounds better.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the links above - maybe I can reclaim a few of my tax dollars too! We leased it for years, but I don't need the small income and a few more acres of beans isn't going to make a difference. Knowing that my future grand-kids have a place to quietly unwind just sounds better.
    You can fit 100-300 productive fruit and nut trees on a single acre, depending on various factors/desires. Each tree will produce 5-50lbs of fruit within 5 years, and nuts within 10. In that same space, at the same time, chickens and ducks can utilize the same space...50 free-range meat and egg birds. They will be pest control too.

You can get creative and graft 5-10+ different varieties of fruit on one single tree. I've only gotten 3 varieties on one so far, but there are articles about people putting 40+ varieties of fruit on a single tree. There is a guy in India with a 200+yr old Mango tree and he claims to have 300 different varieties grafted to it. There's no reason it couldn't be.

You can have fruit and flowers going almost year-round with the right plant selections. It can be tough if deer will get to eat everything, but if you can protect the plantings for a few years it works out nicely.

An open, flat, acre of land is awesome and easy to work with. Portable electric netting is good stuff to help critters and plants survive.

If a person has a backhoe and bucket, and space like that, they are beyond blessed. lol

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    It's cloudy with lightning...someone is probably getting some rain, somewhere!
    Getting some clouds overhead here finally. HOPEFULLY we get some downpour.
    Temp reading on the vehicle showed as high as 108⁰ on the interstate, but showed 101⁰ as I arrived back home.

Grass is dying all over. Good ol' August in LA!

Top Bottom