Doc added***FL permits no longer honored in LA....it's official.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Brannon, maybe you should remove or reword #4.

I'm sure Clay would love it if you could prevent any calls because of misinformation. ;)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not sure about that. Notice #4 in the original post:

4. FL permits are no longer valid.

Nolacop - Does this (#4) mean ALL Florida permits? Item #1 specifically addresses FL non-resident permits, leaving me to wonder if #4 applies to resident permits as well.

ONLY NON-RESIDENT.

post corrected.

sorry

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Now we've gone from misinformation to redundant. :D

How about make #4 "Florida resident permits are still valid." to clarify further between resident and non-resident.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Now let me start by saying I have permits in all 3 states, la ut and fl. I personally learned a lot more in my hunters safety then I did at my ccw class at the shooters club in metairie. My la ccw class was crap. We watched a video and talked about basic gun safety and spend 30 mins on laws. Personally I think it is about the money and the state is using the lax fl laws to get this passed. This state is so corrupt its unbelievable.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Now let me start by saying I have permits in all 3 states, la ut and fl. I personally learned a lot more in my hunters safety then I did at my ccw class at the shooters club in metairie. My la ccw class was crap. We watched a video and talked about basic gun safety and spend 30 mins on laws. Personally I think it is about the money and the state is using the lax fl laws to get this passed. This state is so corrupt its unbelievable.

I truly believe that it has nothing to do with money.

Also, it's not the state's fault that your CHP class was crap.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

If that is the case, you were robbed. You should report them to the state. You were supposed to get 3 hours of laws.

That is why we have so many issues with instructors.

Come sit in on my next class for free to see what you missed.

i can understand your frustration, but seeing the system from the inside, you are dead wrong. What money do they make off of 100.00 when you factor in salaries, insurance, paper, office supplies, overtime, building expenses, training, etc.

if it was about the money, they would need to charge a lot more and would not run out of supplies. That would be bad business.

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I personally learned a lot more in my hunters safety then I did at my ccw class at the shooters club in metairie. My la ccw class was crap. We watched a video and talked about basic gun safety and spend 30 mins on laws. Personally I think it is about the money and the state is using the lax fl laws to get this passed. This state is so corrupt its unbelievable.

Your experience with the CCW class tells me you went to the wrong class. Mine was 8 solid hours and we spent indepth time on every aspect of carry...gun nomenclature, cleaning, laws, safety, psychology, post shoot chain of events, and more. I thought the class was so good that I've encouraged everyone I know to take it, even if they don't own a gun!

I won't argue the corruption point, but I don't think there is a straight line from this topic to that conclusion.

No offense to anyone, but if the FL standard was that lax, and there are such good training classes available in LA, why would anyone not want the LA permit. Better training is always a good thing, right? Would you really want to be a shoot defendant with a permit whose prime attraction was less training? I know I wouldn't want to be your attorney!

crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    Well my boss originally recomended that I get a Florida non-resident permit because it was cheaper in the long run. I'm glad that I got the Louisiana Permit instead. Just imagine the people who recently sent off for a Florida permit who basically threw that money away.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Your experience with the CCW class tells me you went to the wrong class. Mine was 8 solid hours and we spent indepth time on every aspect of carry...gun nomenclature, cleaning, laws, safety, psychology, post shoot chain of events, and more. I thought the class was so good that I've encouraged everyone I know to take it, even if they don't own a gun!

I won't argue the corruption point, but I don't think there is a straight line from this topic to that conclusion.

No offense to anyone, but if the FL standard was that lax, and there are such good training classes available in LA, why would anyone not want the LA permit. Better training is always a good thing, right? Would you really want to be a shoot defendant with a permit whose prime attraction was less training? I know I wouldn't want to be your attorney!
    Good point

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Personally I think it is about the money and the state is using the lax fl laws to get this passed.
    +1

Again, if it were truly the (lack of) training required by FL, they'd disallow all FL permits. Using Louisiana's logic, (poorly trained) Florida residents can safely conceal a firearm in our state, but Louisiana residents who took that same (poor) training cannot.

I guess Louisiana has decided that Florida residents are genetically superior, or naturally smarter, or whatever. :rolleyes:

BTW, my CC class was superb, as all of them should be. Many many hours of instruction, and we shot well over and above the required course of fire, including a preliminary practice round in which the instructor helped students correct any problems. After that, when it came time for the actual qualifying round, we were on our own.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I am surprised, I didn't realize how many people had Fl non-resident permits.

A lot of people got them because, back in the day, Florida had reciprocity with MS and AL while LA did not. That's why I got it. It had nothing to do with training because I was just out of the military and EITHER accepted my DD-214. I went with FL because I was in the process of adopting my (now) daughter from Florida and spent A LOT of time driving through MS and AL two and three times a month for almost a year. My permit is about to expire anyway, and now that LA was reciprocity, I was going to get a LA permit anyway, so no skin off my teeth.

Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    just called up a buddy with his FL non res, he isn't happy. He is calling up Curtis Hawkins, local PD officer and CHP instructor.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    A lot of people got them because, back in the day, Florida had reciprocity with MS and AL while LA did not. That's why I got it.
    Same here.

I did renew my Florida permit, because at $107 for a SEVEN year permit, it was too good a deal to pass up.

I'm now getting the LA permit though too, of course.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Is the fl resident training different than the non res training? If not, why don't they not allow any fl permits?

From what it sounds like I really got screwed on my class.

Nolacop I might take you up on sitting in on a class some weekend I'm not busy. I would like to see what a decent class is like.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom