Doc added***FL permits no longer honored in LA....it's official.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Nope!

My point exactly!

Your mising the point. Training was only one issue. People were also able to bypass their LA criminal history to get a FL permit. Is the system perfect, of course not.

However, non-resident permits were never meant to replace you home permit. They were designed to facilitate people who move into a new state and travel to other states before reciprocity took off.

Almost all states are doing away with non-resident reciprocity for training and background purposes.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    Your mising the point. Training was only one issue. People were also able to bypass their LA criminal history to get a FL permit. Is the system perfect, of course not.

However, non-resident permits were never meant to replace you home permit. They were designed to facilitate people who move into a new state and travel to other states before reciprocity took off.

Almost all states are doing away with non-resident reciprocity for training and background purposes.

well stated!!

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    People were also able to bypass their LA criminal history to get a FL permit.
    Now that is something I hadn't heard before! I thought that any past criminal history would turn up in the background check when I applied for my permit (and my C&R, etc.) However, not being a LEO, I have no idea how that background check works. If crimes in one state (LA) would not be revealed by background check originated in another (FL) then I could indeed see this as being a valid reason to discontinue the non-resident permits.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie

So is the background checks and criminal history stuff the same for the residents of fl as for the non residents? If it is the same then I'm confused as to why they won't accept them anymore?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So is the background checks and criminal history stuff the same for the residents of fl as for the non residents? If it is the same then I'm confused as to why they won't accept them anymore?

It is a little confusing, but as LA resident, it would stand to reason most of your crimes would be LA crimes. Not all crimes are reported the same to NCIC. A lot of stuff is still local, mostly traffic. Also, the residence history, medical, and employment all become almost unmanageable when you start crossing state lines.

Again, it is not perfect, but a "background check" run in FL and LA for the same guy could turn up different things. Also, even though we recognize FL residents, with the same training requirements, these are people who are visiting, so statistically speaking, the risk is lower. LA has set training standards.

Our options are to cut a bunch of states that do not meet our already pretty lax requirements or maintain what we have.

Also, for tracking and statistical purposes, states like to use their resident systems. We are the last of the states to go this route. Ina few months, every state will be resident only.

There are also issues with restaining orders and such. These are generally filed in the jurisdiction they are issued or with the state. rarely are they carried over into NCIC.

Last edited:

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    So then why do they want you to be a resident for 6 months before you apply? I don't understand that?

I have a solution. A national ccw. A permit that's good in all 50 states! That avoids all these games these states play!

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Northshore
    Now that is something I hadn't heard before! I thought that any past criminal history would turn up in the background check when I applied for my permit (and my C&R, etc.) However, not being a LEO, I have no idea how that background check works. If crimes in one state (LA) would not be revealed by background check originated in another (FL) then I could indeed see this as being a valid reason to discontinue the non-resident permits.

Usually indicators if someone has an FBI # on their NCIC rap sheet, Just running a LA DL will get you a LA CH. You have to run a AL resident though a AL request for CH. Unless that particular AL resident has a LA CH, which would have a FBI#, that can be ran, which would produce that persons total CH from all states reported.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    We are fortunate to have some SMEs on the BS site that will take the time to explain.
    Big thank you to then.

Some will have to just blame their miss-fortune on stubborn testosterone.

IT is what it is now!
    We have enough LA CHP Instructors on this site to ensure anyone in need can get into a class. Lets getter dun!

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I know that Nolacop has been to Frontsight, maybe some others on this board have also and may know about this.

Frontsight advertises a 30 state permit. Is that a non-resident type permit? Is his marketing going to have to change soon with this trend of tightening reciprocity standards?

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    You're too busy shooting at the messengers...
    You must be confusing me with someone else. I have not shot at any messengers, nor am I plotting to call CHP to b!tch about this. The reciprocity change has been coming and is now here. This is just a (mostly) friendly discussion of the reasoning behind it. I've learned a lot about that reasoning on this very thread, which has had lots of good information in it.

Posts by you, Nolacop, and other LEO's about the way background checks are done were very informative, and made perfect sense.

Your post about the LA CHP program being pretty much revenue-neutral made sense too. (Keep in mind that after 47 years as a lifelong resident of this state, my trust level on ANYTHING involving them and money is less than zero.)

Earlier explanations/opinions by many I-experts claiming that the reciprocity change was due to training differences between the 2 states, did not make sense.

So, the reciprocity change is now in effect, and I'm better informed and happier knowing that the decision had at least some sound reasoning behind it.

It's all good, and pretty soon I'll have both permits.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I know that Nolacop has been to Frontsight, maybe some others on this board have also and may know about this.

Frontsight advertises a 30 state permit. Is that a non-resident type permit? Is his marketing going to have to change soon with this trend of tightening reciprocity standards?

I have been. They offer fl, ut and nevada permits

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom