Doc added***FL permits no longer honored in LA....it's official.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yep. There should have been a grace period and an official notice from the State Police before the axe feel. I understand the reasoning behind the decision, but the implementation is ********. Or, those with a valid non-res permit should have been grandfathered in.

I agree that you should have been good until your current one ran out, but it is what it is.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    So I was thinking about this for the last few hours. What about the probably hundreds of people who don't frequent sites like this and don't check the lsp site everyday? I'm not trying to stir the pot, but don't you think fl should inform all their non res permit holders or like prior discussed, give a grace period? I know when the state passed the new dwi and seat belt laws in sept it was all over the news and paper so the average person who watches tv would know about them. I just feel for of the people who get stopped and are carrying on a fl non res and honestly didn't know about the abrupt law change.

Mike Edmonson used to be the PR guy for the State Police. You can count on him arranging some sort of press release about this. The only question then will be how many media outlets think it's worth the trouble to do a story on it. It would be intesting to combine this story with the huge backlog of applications at LSP CHP Unit.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    "... non-resident permits were never meant to replace you home permit. They were designed to facilitate people who move into a new state..."
    [who have a permit from the state they left but are require to wait a predetermined period of time before they can apply for a LA CHL. TOTALLY pointless].

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    It would be intesting to combine this story with the huge backlog of applications at LSP CHP Unit.

Aren't George Sells and Paul Gates at WAFB relatively conservative and pro-gun? Maybe one of them would help with exposing the backlog. Maybe someone who's actually familiar with the info could e-mail them.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Since it seems the Sgt is in a position of influence - could anyone that knows him ask if there is any chance that the permits could remain valid if you have an LA permit pending as long as the application is made in the next 90 days or something???

That would seem simple and fair.

Already asked.

No.

Once the agreement is signed, it is active.

I made sure that I was perfectly clear that the agreement was effective immediately. No grandfathering, no leeway.

He is not the final say. The Colonel of the State Police is.

FWIW, I agree that there should have been some grace period built in.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    When will we know what the Colonel might say?

What are you not understanding? It is done. The paperwork is signed. It is what i told you it is. there is no going back unless they amend the amendment. That just won't happen.

The Colonel has signed the paper that is posted IN THIS THREAD. It is a done deal. Waiting on the same from Utah in order for them to post on the LSP site.

Everyone is blaming the Sgt, but it is not on him. He just does the leg work.

Sorry guys.:hs:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Aren't George Sells and Paul Gates at WAFB relatively conservative and pro-gun? Maybe one of them would help with exposing the backlog. Maybe someone who's actually familiar with the info could e-mail them.

I would urge anyone with contacts with any journalists to tell them about this. I have done so already. We'll see what happens.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    1. It seems this is becoming the thing to do in many states.
    2. I'm surprised so many just have the FL permit.
    3. My CCW class was NOT a joke. I knew much of the info, but it was a good class.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    How does it work when stopped by a LEO. Say John Doe doesn't know his Fla permit is no good he gives the LEO his permit. LEO doesn't know it's not any good anymore. Do they run the permit with the dispatcher and will they have it in the computer that there not good?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    And what good would that do?

Good grief; those folks are over-worked as it is, and doing the best they can with what they've got.

You obviously have no idea how that sort of thing works. You bring the spotlight on the situation (which everybody interested in ALREADY knows about), the brass gets pissed, and guess who gets the heat?

Like I said earlier... the CHP people are reading this forum. Many of you guys seem to be taking the attitude that somehow they could do better, or are not working hard enough.

Now, how do think THAT is as a motivator??????:rolleyes:

I'm sure that whoever is there already are working as hard as they can and never meant to imply otherwise. The problem is obviously farther up the chain.

My point is that to expose the backlog while at the same time explaining what happened with the FL permits, may motivate someone to speak up who can reallocate the manpower necessary to speed up issuance of the LA permits. It seems that a certain amount of this could be clerical and could be done by temporary help. It is not logical to me as to why the powers that be would revoke the validity of the FL permits without a transition period. It doesn't seem very well thought out at all.

I own a business and sometimes I find myself in a similar situation. You have to rise to the occasion or lose the business. The difference is that my business is a for-profit organization. No offense to anyone but if you considered everyone affected by this issue a customer that could go somewhere else due to being unhappy with the level of service they're getting, it may come into focus.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I guess I'm just a dumbass but when they started the state wide permits years ago I got mine. It's pretty damn simple. I've renewed it three times since then.
    I live in Louisiana not Florida I support my state and my police. To hell with Florida.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pangris
    I had and renewed and LA permit, then when that expired, I got my FL b/c it covered more states. Then I decided to get my LA again, got a cert, never sent in the packet, cert is now expired.

I've arranged to take a class this weekend Apparently I need more training.

Something tells me that may not be a standard 9 hour course:eek3:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geauxshootin
    it will be, no mercy:[/QUOTE]

Somehow I still doubt it. :o

;)I'lllllneeevveer teeellllllll

To all readers;
    In response to the above posts. While they may be in jest, it is insinuated that my LA CHP class through Shooters Training will not be legal per the requirements of the State of Louisiana. Shooters Training classes follow the legal requirements and a lesson plan approved by the Louisiana State Police. If there are any doubts in the future, please direct them to myself or the Louisiana State Police.

To Nolacopusmc;
    I know that you were simply trying to get a joke over on Pangris. If I had done the same to you and questioned your ethics, you would have gone stark raving MAD!! I have tougher skin than that but must rebut the statement you made on this public forum to the reading public.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    How do you figure THAT? We have had an in-place, fuctioning system for over ten years. The fact that some people chose to circumvent it comes under the heading of "Not our Problem"...

...especially since this action was taken to redress the fact that many of the circumventors are not getting the state-mandated training/exposure to laws/etc.

The business model comparison won't wash. We're not talking about selling shoes here.

Look, I mean no offense to you with any of this, you seem like a great guy who may just be taking a lot of this more personally than its intended to be.

That said, it is MY opinion that part of the problem with all levels of government is that it's NOT run more like a business. Until the politicians start treating their constituents like customers they're going to keep acting without regard to their opinion. In my opinion, they's some of that going on here.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    Look, I mean no offense to you with any of this, you seem like a great guy who may just be taking a lot of this more personally than its intended to be.

That said, it is MY opinion that part of the problem with all levels of government is that it's NOT run more like a business. Until the politicians start treating their constituents like customers they're going to keep acting without regard to their opinion. In my opinion, they's some of that going on here.

The LSP has a much bigger job than dealing with CHP. You would be making similar decisions if incharge since the CHP issue is small compared to all of the other issues that the citizens, based on opinion, think they should be doing.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The LSP has a much bigger job than dealing with CHP. You would be making similar decisions if incharge since the CHP issue is small compared to all of the other issues that the citizens, based on opinion, think they should be doing.

I'm sure they do. Again, my point is that since this adversely affects many citizens of LA it could have either 1) had a grace period or 2) the LSP could hire temporary help to speed things up.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    There has been exactly squat about this in the media. I bet this site is read by less than 5% of FL permit holders. How will the others be notified?

Ignorantia legis neminem excusat blah blah blah. If a FL permit holder were involved in a SD shooting today, would he have this sprung on him after the event. "Sorry, Podna, we secretly revoked your permit yesterday."

Are we going to tell him he should have kept up with the LSP website? Because there ain't squat about it there, either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom