Doc added***FL permits no longer honored in LA....it's official.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Even better. From the FL Concealed Carry Reciprocity site:

PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

Not a peep there either:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Even better. From the FL Concealed Carry Reciprocity site:

Not a peep there either:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Actually it is correct.

From the reciprocity list:

Louisiana (1,4)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Actually it is correct.

From the reciprocity list:

Louisiana (1,4)

(1) While Florida's law allows licensees to carry stun guns, knives, and billy clubs in a concealed fashion, the laws in these states allow for concealed carry of handguns or pistols ONLY, NOT WEAPONS IN GENERAL. Florida license holders are prohibited from carrying other types of weapons while in these states.

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

I stand corrected. There is a peep.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pangris
    I had and renewed and LA permit, then when that expired, I got my FL b/c it covered more states. Then I decided to get my LA again, got a cert, never sent in the packet, cert is now expired.

I've arranged to take a class this weekend Apparently I need more training.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geauxshootin
    it will be, no mercy:

I am sorry about that if you interpreted it as an assault on your integrity. I thought it was obviously a poke at Pangris.

No offense was met. I know Paul is a stand up guy and you appeared to be at lunch. Sorry for any offense on my part. None intended.

P.S. You are right, I would have lost my ****. ;)

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm sure they do. Again, my point is that since this adversely affects many citizens of LA it could have either 1) had a grace period or 2) the LSP could hire temporary help to speed things up.

your right. Don't you think the 3 people in CHP want help? That decision has to be signed by the Govenor. Start writing him that CHP needs help. Trust me, they would welcome it.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    Nolacop,
    Appreciate the response. Paul and i can both handle the rubbing and my first response was to laugh. then, i realized that the internet world could also read it and does not know us well enough to articulate the difference.
    Water under the bridge!!:)

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    forgive me if I missed this but I was loosing my focus weaving through the mini rants....:D

1)Is the LSP just waiting for the same letter from utah or is there some dialogue with Utah that could end with nonres being honored bc of training requirements, etc?

2)In reference to nonres chp for residents of may issue and non-issuing states: Is this the beginning of the end of their cc ability while traveling? obviously it is in LA, but is this a change that is making its way to other states?
    I know several states previously have not honored non res permits.

Trueno

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Tejas - home of SRV!
    I'm totally missing sumthin' here, the above (in the OP on the 1st page) sure looks like a contract between two states (LA and FL) to agree to reciprocity.

Is there an addendum to it?

t

Last edited:

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    To NOLA COP and LSP - I owe you both a drink for the tip that this was coming!

I originally said, nah, I will wait bc they will likely have some grace period. Later my gut told me to get it done. My LA CHP came in the day after this news first broke. Can't thank you guys enough and Spanky for this site. Otherwise we would have never known at least for a while. Thanks again!

L

Louisiana Shooter

The State Police have stated what their interpretation of the law is, however, LSP does not have the final say in the matter. Until a court convicts someone carrying with a Florida permit, the LSP opinion is not final

Louisiana Revised Statutes, 40:1379.3 T. Reads:

T.(1) Possession of a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 USC 922(t). A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.
    (2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension.
    (3) The deputy secretary for public safety services shall also have the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states so that full-time active peace officers commissioned in another state shall have the same authority as a person issued a concealed handgun permit pursuant to this Section to carry a concealed handgun while in this state, regardless of whether or not they are in the official discharge of their duties, and full-time active law enforcement officers commissioned in this state shall have the authority to carry a concealed handgun in those states whether or not they are in the official discharge of their duties. An out-of-state law enforcement officer carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.

It is clear to me that agreements between states are only one way that out of state permits can be valid. The other avenue remains simple recognition of our permits by another state.

I'd play it safe by advising all LA residents to get a Louisiana permit ASAP, but to panick under the the idea that the state police can dictate policy which directly counters the law as written by the legislature is not called for. Even if a judge interprets the LSP edict to be correct, a typical fine would be $100.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The State Police have stated what their interpretation of the law is, however, LSP does not have the final say in the matter. Until a court convicts someone carrying with a Florida permit, the LSP opinion is not final

Louisiana Revised Statutes, 40:1379.3 T. Reads:

T.(1) Possession of a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 USC 922(t). A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.
    (2) A nonresident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension.
    (3) The deputy secretary for public safety services shall also have the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states so that full-time active peace officers commissioned in another state shall have the same authority as a person issued a concealed handgun permit pursuant to this Section to carry a concealed handgun while in this state, regardless of whether or not they are in the official discharge of their duties, and full-time active law enforcement officers commissioned in this state shall have the authority to carry a concealed handgun in those states whether or not they are in the official discharge of their duties. An out-of-state law enforcement officer carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section.

It is clear to me that agreements between states are only one way that out of state permits can be valid. The other avenue remains simple recognition of our permits by another state.

I'd play it safe by advising all LA residents to get a Louisiana permit ASAP, but to panick under the the idea that the state police can dictate policy which directly counters the law as written by the legislature is not called for. Even if a judge interprets the LSP edict to be correct, a typical fine would be $100.

WTF are you talking about? What opinion?

:rolleyes:

L

Louisiana Shooter

WTF are you talking about? What opinion?

:rolleyes:

The opinion the SGT. Reavis expressed to you that permit recognition could oly occur by agreement and that since "non-resident" permits are not mentioned in the agreement, they are not valid.

The legislature clearly dictates in LSR 40:1379.3 T that all permits from any state that recognizes LA permits will be recognized by Louisiana. The law gives the state police a means to include other states by agreement, but nowhere does it exclude non-res permits unless held by someone denied or suspended by LSP. I don't see any rational courts agreeing with Reavis's opinion.

The SW Louisiana Bar Assn. Has a dinner tonite. I'll ask a few judges and our DA and see what they have to say.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The opinion the SGT. Reavis expressed to you that permit recognition could oly occur by agreement and that since "non-resident" permits are not mentioned in the agreement, they are not valid.

The legislature clearly dictates in LSR 40:1379.3 T that all permits from any state that recognizes LA permits will be recognized by Louisiana. The law gives the state police a means to include other states by agreement, but nowhere does it exclude non-res permits unless held by someone denied or suspended by LSP. I don't see any rational courts agreeing with Reavis's opinion.

The SW Louisiana Bar Assn. Has a dinner tonite. I'll ask a few judges and our DA and see what they have to say.

Your whacked.

they have a signed reciprocity agreement with each state. What you listed is the statute that allows them to enter into those agreements. the agreements have changed. It is not an opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom