Driving, is it a right or a privilege?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Does the American citizen have the inalienable right to use the roadways unrestricted in any manner as long as they are not damaging or violating property or rights of another?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    I cannot tell you the legal yes/no answer, but I can damn sure say with confidence after seeing the way some people drive NO! They have no right being behind a push mower, let alone the wheel of a vehicle.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Does the American citizen have the inalienable right to use the roadways unrestricted in any manner as long as they are not damaging or violating property or rights of another?

It's a privilege- and one that is taken away from idiots every single day at that.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    We have inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

But in reality you must be licensed, insured, pay tax, etc. to drive.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yep. It's a privilege. You have a right to free travel, but not within a vehicle. You have the right to walk your ass across the country, but it's a privilege to drive it.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Well I got into an argument this morning with commercial truck diver as I got to work, he tried to argue he has a right to drive once he obtained his CDL and it was not a privilege, I simple said "Driving is not a constitutional right. You get your drivers license based on the skills you have and the rules you agree to follow. After you get your driving license you must continue to demonstrate your ability to drive safely on the road. If you fail to demonstrate this ability, you will be issued traffic tickets, or even have your license suspended or revoked. No one has more right to the road than anyone else. If you're going to drive, you owe it to the other drivers and yourself to operate the vehicle in a safe manner." He pulled up something on his phone stating he had the fundamental right to use the roadways unrestricted in any manner as long as they are not damaging or violating property or rights of another. I told him don't believe everything you read on the internet, so then I thought it sounded like some of the hacks on here and had to throw it out there and see if he responds.

Cripsol

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2014
    Dallas
    Well I got into an argument this morning with commercial truck diver as I got to work, he tried to argue he has a right to drive once he obtained his CDL and it was not a privilege, I simple said "Driving is not a constitutional right. You get your drivers license based on the skills you have and the rules you agree to follow. After you get your driving license you must continue to demonstrate your ability to drive safely on the road. If you fail to demonstrate this ability, you will be issued traffic tickets, or even have your license suspended or revoked. No one has more right to the road than anyone else. If you're going to drive, you owe it to the other drivers and yourself to operate the vehicle in a safe manner." He pulled up something on his phone stating he had the fundamental right to use the roadways unrestricted in any manner as long as they are not damaging or violating property or rights of another. I told him don't believe everything you read on the internet, so then I thought it sounded like some of the hacks on here and had to throw it out there and see if he responds.

So you decided to get the opinion of some people on the internet? LOL. J/K

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Sounds like y'all were having a semantics argument.

Does a concealed carry permit give you the "right" to carry a concealed handgun in certain places? Or does it just give you the privilege? Or perhaps just the ability? Does it entitle you to carry concealed?

;)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

and yet his CDL can be revoked for a myriad of reasons, so we call that a: privilege

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    When I have to park in a public lot, I have to be sure I park where I can get out. You'd be surprised how many tards will park within a couple feet of you, making it impossible to leave.

Then there's the idiots who pull up way pass the white line, so then the whole intersection gets to wait until they back up so I can get out of the way.

Point being: it's much more easier to maneuver around in a regular vehicle than a big truck.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    that's the best part, he's not a trucker. He drives a dumptruck or a flatbed with trailer and equipment sometimes, he parks his regular run of the mill nissan titan in two spots. I'm glad the big trucks are offsite for him. But it still doesn't stop him from being a douche in an already crowded parking lot for the building. He works for a dept of the USDA, so I'm sure he thinking is even more warped than normal. He thinks because he has a CDL he has rights and not privileges like other drivers.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    that's the best part, he's not a trucker. He drives a dumptruck or a flatbed with trailer and equipment sometimes, he parks his regular run of the mill nissan titan in two spots. I'm glad the big trucks are offsite for him. But it still doesn't stop him from being a douche in an already crowded parking lot for the building. He works for a dept of the USDA, so I'm sure he thinking is even more warped than normal. He thinks because he has a CDL he has rights and not privileges like other drivers.

Yeah I had an idiot double park his truck in our lot once. I parked in the spot he was partially taking up- close enough that he couldn't even open his drivers side door. He was standing around waiting when I went to leave, and he hasn't done it since.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Yeah I had an idiot double park his truck in our lot once. I parked in the spot he was partially taking up- close enough that he couldn't even open his drivers side door. He was standing around waiting when I went to leave, and he hasn't done it since.

Yeah this has been going on for a while, he use to park on the grass, but now he takes the spot on the end and double parks so no one can get up on his driver side, it's to the curb. I wish we could just have him towed. It causes people to park in the no parking unloading zone. His truck isn't new or anything, nothing special about it. Just a dick pulling a dick move. He has left the dump truck parked in front of the building running for hours before, blocking people in, he's a real tool.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I do not quite understand how violent felons are allowed to drive. Cars are far more dangerous than guns. Cars are involved in many deaths and crimes. Criminals use cars to commit more crimes than with guns.

Top Bottom