DWI checkpoints

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Im all for them eventhough I've never been through one, I live WAY out of the city limits and when I do go to Lafayette at night I dont usually take the main roads since they are always backed up with traffic.

BUSTER48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Laplace, Louisiana
    I like checkpoints. Violation of our rights is ok because in this case, unlike others, it is for the children.

No, it's not for the children. It's to try to stem the average of over 400 alcohol related deaths in Lousiana every year from '82- '08. I'm willing to sacrafice some of my "rights" if it helps get one drunk ******* off the road.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    No, it's not for the children. It's to try to stem the average of over 400 alcohol related deaths in Lousiana every year from '82- '08. I'm willing to sacrafice some of my "rights" if it helps get one drunk ******* off the road.

By that logic, the solution to illegal drug usage, is to go door to door, without a warrant, enter domicile, and inspect that no drugs are inside.

But it will be ok because they will warn you before hand, though indirectly, and obscurely.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    By that logic, the solution to illegal drug usage, is to go door to door, without a warrant, enter domicile, and inspect that no drugs are inside.

But it will be ok because they will warn you before hand, though indirectly, and obscurely.

Answer the question. What specific rights do a DWI checkpoint violate?

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Um when some gets behind the wheel shitfaced, I believe they have violated me and my familys rights and need to be jerked out of the car! JMO

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The right to property, primarily time.

And the pursuit of happiness. :D

And the whole probable cause thing.

Actually, the checkpoint could very well lead to a "pursuit of happiness" ;) Especially if you do not stop or try to avoid.

Of course, time is not property, and probable cause has nothing to do with a DWI checkpoint.

Last edited:

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Guys, I don't care what you do, but if you are approached by a LEO at a checkpoint, you have been approached in an official manner. Talking to a LEO while in line at the grocery, not so much.

I accept that I am taking a risk, but I am very low threat by virtue of my age and the fact that I don't drink.

I never triggered any special stuff crossing the U.S./Cdn border hundreds of times altho cars in front of me did.
    :squint:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Actually, the checkpoint could very well lead to a "pursuit of happiness" ;) Especially if you do not stop or try to avoid.

Oh yeah, is it against the law to turn around or what?

I forgot the right to privacy, but I could care less about my privacy, I just don't want to sit in a line for 20 mins.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh yeah, is it against the law to turn around or what?

I forgot the right to privacy, but I could care less about my privacy, I just don't want to sit in a line for 20 mins.

Depending on where and how you turn around, you will most likely be violating a traffic law which will be PC for a traffic stop. Generally drunks make poor decisions like that.

Right to privacy? LOL. Wow!

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    That IS THE PROBLEM.

"Drive(ing) under the influence" is NOT a crime below a certain level.

Driving DRUNK is a crime.

Our State & Nation have had plenty opportunity to make driving after drinking illegal; AND this has been constantly refused.

The police should enforce the LAW; not the MADD Mothers' opinions !

leVieux

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    serious question; since driving is a privilege and not a right, as has been debated here in recent history, does one waive whatever "rights" he or she may have under say, 4A?

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    All laws affect you in some way. Speed limits, mandatory insurance, theft, murder and rape. They all place limits on your freedom to do what you want to do. But that is not the same thing as violating your rights, as in an unconstitutional violation of specific areas of protection from government interference. Everything that affects your freedom of choice in some way is not a violation of your rights in a constitutional sense.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That IS THE PROBLEM.

"Drive(ing) under the influence" is NOT a crime below a certain level.

Driving DRUNK is a crime.

Our State & Nation have had plenty opportunity to make driving after drinking illegal; AND this has been constantly refused.

The police should enforce the LAW; not the MADD Mothers' opinions !

leVieux

You are absolutely incorrect. Your statement is 180 degrees WRONG! Read 14:98 and come back.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    All laws affect you in some way. Speed limits, mandatory insurance, theft, murder and rape. They all place limits on your freedom to do what you want to do. But that is not the same thing as violating your rights, as in an unconstitutional violation of specific areas of protection from government interference. Everything that affects your freedom of choice in some way is not a violation of your rights in a constitutional sense.

But it is still fun for those ignorant of fact to spew that out like they know what they are talking about and can pound their chest as true patriots! Then they can put cool quotes from dead presidents in their sig lines and stuff.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Answer the question. What specific rights do a DWI checkpoint violate?

It's a Terry Stop without probable cause. It violates my freedom of movement. Furthermore, it's a range of other infringements that vary from annoyance to police state hyperbole.

I don't mind the 5 or 10 DWI citations they may give out that night. I mind the however-many other people who committed no wrong, were not observed to have been under suspicion of any crime - and yet still were detained, and put through a delay of being able to go about their lives because M.A.D.D. convinces people that sacrifices rights is for "the greater good".

I can't say whether it is fact or not, but the rumor of it being probable cause to chase you down and pull you over if you are seen turning around or otherwise avoiding the checkpoint after coming upon it is disconcerting as well. No clue if that is a fact or not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom