DWI checkpoints

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    nolacopusmc; the "Terry Stop w/o P C" was a statement half completed I think. I do not believe anyone should be stopped unless there is suspicion that a crime has been, about to be, or is being committed. But I'll be the first to admit that I have a problem with checkpoints and came to the conclusion first, and try to justify it afterward.

ETA: Of course, I'm not arguing what -is- at all... merely what 'should' be from my POV.

Let me ask this to all the checkpoint defenders, though. Has it changed anything? Has it prevented one thing? ...well... I am trying to ask a question that doesn't require someone to prove a negative, but it is kind of difficult in this situation. :/ To me, the check points seem to be another thing that police can tell people "Look, we're doing good!" but with no way to prove results, it merely provides the ILLUSION of security, rather than actual security. What if the officers are the check point were patrolling rather than stationary? To me, they seem to be more like a security camera, which is a "security" feature that is often laughed about on this site and any other site with an interest in self defense.

Look, I am probably being a little harsh on you because you come off so strong willed when it is apparent you really have no idea about the technical points of the topics you so vehemently doth protest.

if you are going to get into a legal discussion about what is right and wrong and what should and should not happen, knowing the difference between RS and PC is pretty damn fundamental. it would be like me saying a guy hjas no idea about guns, but I do not even know the difference between a revolver and a pistol....some things are semantics, but somethings are completely different and not interchangeable. RS and PC are not interchangeable. They are fundamental to most legal issues.

If you think that taking drunk people off the road has not stopped single fatality, then seriously,m you are more retarded then your recent series of posts reflect. Are really going to ask that juvenile of a question?:rolleyes:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Couldn't agree more...this nonsense of taking classes and what not is worthless (I know someone who recently got a DWI)... 2nd offense jail terms would get the point across alot better.

Serious question though... why don't cops stake out bars and wait for drunks to walk out... is there something I'm missing here? God it seems like shooting fish in a barrel.

We are not allowed to do that "TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS" NO ****...I am serious. For the same reason that we are required to announce the location of checkpoints. Kind of defeats the purpose...but we always get a couple anyway....funny how that works.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Phffft. Aren't you due back in the sandbox Nola? You're not getting anywhere here. Go snuggle Mrs Nola while you can. ;)

Checkpoints = good. I don't give a damn if the guy behind me is pissed off or not. What I would LOVE to see are more car seat checkpoints.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I hate to break this to you, but it does not matter what you think or what you think should be. That is just reality. In a way, i agree it should be a right since it is taxpayer funded. I also think when I pull someone over on a traffic stop and they ask me "is there a probelem officer?" I should be able to slap them in their face...but hey, neither one of us gets the cookie i guess.

Point is, regardless of what you were trying to do, you did a poor job of doing it. Comparing a constitutional right to a constitutionally defined privileged is retarded. I understand the whole "guns don't kill people thing", you just picked a poor way of explaining it in my opinion.

The fact is, checkpoints save lives. Period. Do they save millions? No, but if they save mine or my families, that is enough for me. I hate checkpoints to, since we are all very important and in a hurry, but i deal with them, because I have a front row seat to what DUI's cause. I am willing to be inconvienced in the exercise of my privelage for a few minutes if it potentially takes someone who is a threat to me off the road for that short period of time I am also on it.

I chose guns because this is a gun board, and it's something he's obviously going to be for... I could have tried abortion or some other similarly controversial topic... but hey.. it was easy.

And like a said before, just because it's not something explicitly defined in the constitution, doesn't mean it isn't a right... hell, they didn't even have cars back then. The bill of rights was meant to try to make sure that congress could never take away those rights... it wasn't mean to limit any of the ones they didn't mention.

And for the record, I agree, if my taxes are paying for it, it should be a right... but oh well. And I do think it sucks when I'm trying to get home late a night, because I'm tired, and I get stopped for no reason and questioned... but I don't act like an idiot, and I don't get mad at the officer... he's doing a job. I'm mad at the drunk sobs that get on the road driving.

Aaron

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    We are not allowed to do that "TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS" NO ****...I am serious. For the same reason that we are required to announce the location of checkpoints. Kind of defeats the purpose...but we always get a couple anyway....funny how that works.

That's probably the main reason I think they are next-to-worthless.

I have personally overheard conversations where people going out to drink, or already drunk people are warning each other about the locations of DWI checkpoints.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Phffft. Aren't you due back in the sandbox Nola? You're not getting anywhere here. Go snuggle Mrs Nola while you can. ;)

Checkpoints = good. I don't give a damn if the guy behind me is pissed off or not. What I would LOVE to see are more car seat checkpoints.

Generally when JPSO would run DWI checkpoints, we had a couple of officers strictly for seatbelt and car seats that would write tickets for those offenses. They were being paid by a federal grant.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That's probably the main reason I think they are next-to-worthless.

I have personally overheard conversations where people going out to drink, or already drunk people are warning each other about the locations of DWI checkpoints.

How are they "worthless" if they arrest drunks during them?

In your mind, so they have to arrest every single drunk every single time to be effective? is it all or nothing with you? Surely you see the ridiculous scenario you set up right?

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA

See, that's freaking retarded...so instead of grabbing they guys we know are drunk.. we stop everyone... sigh...i would be the king of dui's if I was an officer, lol

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA

So are we pulling only people over with car seats, or everyone? oh no... she's driving a mini-van... now we have profiling in the mix!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    See, that's freaking retarded...so instead of grabbing they guys we know are drunk.. we stop everyone... sigh...i would be the king of dui's if I was an officer, lol

Until you were sued. I agree. Look at the way our culture is though. You drive to a bar knowing you are going to a place to drink.

It is a numbers game. The same one every other criminal plays. It is the odds of getting caught.

There is no way to catch everyone everytime, so as long as it is not you, it is a win.

As long as there are bars there will be a DUI problem. As long as there is alcohol, there will be a DUI problem. As long as court treat the first few like tickets..there will be a DUI problem.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So are we pulling only people over with car seats, or everyone? oh no... she's driving a mini-van... now we have profiling in the mix!

I bet you think profiling is wrong too right? :rolleyes:

you people absolutely amaze me. AARD, just out of curiosity, what is your current occupational field?

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    BTW. If it were all about revenue...we would ake a killing on MVI stickers. Seems like every single person in the line has an expired MVI, plate, or busted light. Oddly enough, we let those go. Money out the window!

Tell you what, the state police aren't letting those go... I see them out at one of the Slidell exits every other day on the way to work grabbing people as the turn onto the interstate exit! You guys are missing out!

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I can't believe the **** people argue. If you want to argue violation of rights, go tell that to the family of the guy in his mid 20s who was killed by a woman in her 40s last week and under the influence. Go do some ride alongs with your local EMS, or if LSP/SO allows, them as well. When you work a few accidents involving alcohol, you'll find that 5 second "license and registration please.... have a good day" is worth it for saving someone's family member. If you want to argue violation of rights go argue restrictions on gun ownership or income tax, don't make waves about something that actually does society good.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    I bet you think profiling is wrong too right? :rolleyes:

you people absolutely amaze me. AARD, just out of curiosity, what is your current occupational field?

oh no, I think profiling can be very effective...doesn't mean I think we should start harassing people for no reason... but I profile people everyday... if you see someone questionable looking walking towards me, hands in pockets, or fists clenched... that's profiling... everyone does it... I just read that post and could hear the screams of all the "mandevillionaire" mothers getting pulled over because they are driving a mini-van or tahoe... lol the car seat thing cracked me up.

and to answer your question, I'm and electrical engineer... what's yours (other than reserves?)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    oh no, I think profiling can be very effective...doesn't mean I think we should start harassing people for no reason... but I profile people everyday... if you see someone questionable looking walking towards me, hands in pockets, or fists clenched... that's profiling... everyone does it... I just read that post and could hear the screams of all the "mandevillionaire" mothers getting pulled over because they are driving a mini-van or tahoe... lol the car seat thing cracked me up.

and to answer your question, I'm and electrical engineer... what's yours (other than reserves?)

At least you understand that. GO to my website. I will not bore everyone with my history again.

BTW, reserves is not an occupational field, law enforcement is, but then again, I am sure you knew that. Nice one though.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom