DWI checkpoints

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Well. You must not be a parent or worked any accidents where unrestrained front seat kids are thrown through the window. Seeing that kind of thing drives me batty.

My fault for derailing the subject though. The car seat checks are announced as a public service. They are a bit different than surprise insurance/DUI checkpoints. It's about proper installation etc. I'd still like to see more of them.

Last edited:

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    It is very easy to define what is a right. you might want to stop posting and start reading...this is getting comical. That is the problem with this society, people like you think you have RIGHT and are ENTITLED to **** you are not entitled to.

You do not have many rights. You have ahandful of broad rights. Driving on paved interstate and intrastate roadways is not one of them. Having a hot meal is not one of them. Healthcare is not one of them.

I don't have a right for someone to GIVE me health care, or GIVE me a hot meal... but I certainly have the RIGHT to purchase those items. That's the difference. My taxes go to fund those roads... so if I could opt-out of that, I think you privilege folks might have an argument, but since I'll go to jail if I don't, then YES, I think it's my right to drive on that road...since I helped fund it.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    How are they "worthless" if they arrest drunks during them?

In your mind, so they have to arrest every single drunk every single time to be effective? is it all or nothing with you? Surely you see the ridiculous scenario you set up right?

Well that's prolly why I said "next to worthless" because they do catch a couple few of the extra dumb ones. :)

As said others have said I'd rather have them stake-out the bars. I've seen BRPD do this up around LSU before (maybe they were just there for crowd control I donnow).

In "my mind," in order to stop you they should have at least a reasonable suspicion that something is up. I don't care if it's a busted taillight, or illegal tint.

But most of all, the methods shouldn't just be effective, but efficient. Or at least as efficient as reasonably possible.

The fact is they waste thousands of hours police manpower and citizens time in order to catch a handful of people. I'd rather the gubmint pick a day and enter everyone's homes and nail every drug dealer there is. It's "effective" but by no means "efficient."

If the FDA had a food taster take a bite of every macdonald hamburger served to make sure there's nobody gets botulism or a stomach virus, it would definitely be effective, but not very efficient. We could require that an officer visit every driver to make sure he has up-to-date license and registration before being able to start the engine. Lots of new orleanian drivers would be off the roads :D

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    At least you understand that. GO to my website. I will not bore everyone with my history again.

BTW, reserves is not an occupational field, law enforcement is, but then again, I am sure you knew that. Nice one though.

It wasn't a slight. I already knew from previous posts you were reserves, I was asking how you put bread on the table...I figured it was only fair since you seemed to want to know mine.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't have a right for someone to GIVE me health care, or GIVE me a hot meal... but I certainly have the RIGHT to purchase those items. That's the difference. My taxes go to fund those roads... so if I could opt-out of that, I think you privilege folks might have an argument, but since I'll go to jail if I don't, then YES, I think it's my right to drive on that road...since I helped fund it.

Well, when what you THINK becomes a reality, then we will all be happy. Until that, you are wrong.

**** in one hand, wish in the other.....:confused:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    It wasn't a slight. I already knew from previous posts you were reserves, I was asking how you put bread on the table...I figured it was only fair since you seemed to want to know mine.

Easy answer is security contracting. Not quite at the level of needing my face blurred in photos, but for security reasons, my PJ's have footies on them. ;)

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Not bashing, I believe that checkpoints are a good thing, Except that the ones that I've seen check the main roads. There is a backroad from the bars that the drunks use on a regular basis( I mean this road is heavily traveled around 2:00am) and nothing. I don't even see the police on that road EVER, And I also think that at these checkpoints should ticket ALL the violations. Just speaking my mind.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, when what you THINK becomes a reality, then we will all be happy. Until that, you are wrong.

**** in one hand, wish in the other.....:confused:

lol... just because I think the system doesn't work correctly doesn't mean I wrong... maybe I'm correct and the system is screwed up. :)

I'm sure there are a lot of things you don't like about our current laws... doesn't mean your opinion is incorrect though.

But yes... fundamentally speaking my opinion doesn't mean jack...doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for change and to try to correct the things we see as wrong.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Not bashing, I believe that checkpoints are a good thing, Except that the ones that I've seen check the main roads. There is a backroad from the bars that the drunks use on a regular basis( I mean this road is heavily traveled around 2:00am) and nothing. I don't even see the police on that road EVER, And I also think that at these checkpoints should ticket ALL the violations. Just speaking my mind.

I agree. I also think that advertising them is retarded. It is a "compromise" between people who think checkpoints are a good thing and those who think they are a violation. I think it is retarded.

What if all newly manufactured automobiles had a breathalyser in them. How would you feel about that? they would be no different than any other federally mandated safety requirement like a seatbelt, airbag, etc.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I wish the NOPD could pick the drunks off when they drive out of the Quarter.

Of course, that would kill the sorry excuse for "culture" in New Orleans. Well, one of them that is.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    lol... just because I think the system doesn't work correctly doesn't mean I wrong... maybe I'm correct and the system is screwed up. :)

I'm sure there are a lot of things you don't like about our current laws... doesn't mean your opinion is incorrect though.

But yes... fundamentally speaking my opinion doesn't mean jack...doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for change and to try to correct the things we see as wrong.

WOW. Like most here, you are confusing your opinion with fact. You are not correct.

FACT is that currently driving is a privilege. Challenge that in court if you need proof or would like to request change.

There are a lot of things I do not like about current laws, but my opinion is never wrong because when it comes to laws, I base my statements on facts, not opinions. You saying it is a right is an incorrect statement of a fact that you believe to be true but it is not. If you say it SHOULD be a right, then that is an opinon and as such, really can be neither right nor wrong.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    NOLA, In agree completely, I NEVER drive under the influence, ( Not even the old one--- I only had 2 beers)!!! So A breathalizer in all new cars--- I'm all for that. Who do we call for that??? :)

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    WOW. Like most here, you are confusing your opinion with fact. You are not correct.

FACT is that currently driving is a privilege. Challenge that in court if you need proof or would like to request change.

There are a lot of things I do not like about current laws, but my opinion is never wrong because when it comes to laws, I base my statements on facts, not opinions. You saying it is a right is an incorrect statement of a fact that you believe to be true but it is not. If you say it SHOULD be a right, then that is an opinon and as such, really can be neither right nor wrong.

Ok, I went through my posts and here are my quotes... I think I've been pretty clear that "I think" or "IMHO (In my humble opinion" or "should". I don't think I've been stating any FACTS... I clearly know what the law is...I've just been stating what I think it should be.

"I think it's my right to drive on that road."
    "if my taxes are paying for it, it should be a right."
    "IMHO driving is a right (or should be)"

Aaron

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok, I went through my posts and here are my quotes... I think I've been pretty clear that "I think" or "IMHO (In my humble opinion" or "should". I don't think I've been stating any FACTS... I clearly know what the law is...I've just been stating what I think it should be.

"I think it's my right to drive on that road."
    "if my taxes are paying for it, it should be a right."
    "IMHO driving is a right (or should be)"

Aaron

Fair enough. i interpreted what you wrote another way. my bad.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    My taxes go to fund those roads... so if I could opt-out of that, I think you privilege folks might have an argument, but since I'll go to jail if I don't, then YES, I think it's my right to drive on that road...since I helped fund it.

Your taxes also fund the space program....and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom