ENTRAPMENT? Two recent experiences on BayouShooter!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe I'm just paranoid but TWICE in the past week I've received private messages from brand new members who wanted to purchase a pistol, but then suggested they'd be willing to pay me a higher price if I'd let them make a purchase with an out of state license. The first one was listed as a Premium member but his phone had a Massachusetts area code, so how in the world would he not know better than to ask that? Has anybody else experienced this (because it sure felt like entrapment to me...)??

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’ve noticed an influx of brand new members from NOLA wanting to buy firearms. They just scream shady reading the multiple post they make about wanting to buy a pistol for $300. The guy the other day wanted you and a few others to meet him near the super dome because he didn’t have a car. Yea, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all said no one with a brain lol. Then just yesterday afternoon the guy that just made an account and then posted 13 different WTB adds wanting to buy a pistol for $300 or less. It does seem odd that stuff like this wasn’t an issue before but now it seems like we see it one or twice a week now.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I’ve noticed an influx of brand new members from NOLA wanting to buy firearms. They just scream shady reading the multiple post they make about wanting to buy a pistol for $300. The guy the other day wanted you and a few others to meet him near the super dome because he didn’t have a car. Yea, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all said no one with a brain lol. Then just yesterday afternoon the guy that just made an account and then posted 13 different WTB adds wanting to buy a pistol for $300 or less. It does seem odd that stuff like this wasn’t an issue before but now it seems like we see it one or twice a week now.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who smells rats running around the ship -- maybe looking to entrap someone? -- but let's hope the forum Moderators start paying attention. Hope everything is cool in your world, it's been a while, Jstudz!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe I'm just paranoid but TWICE in the past week I've received private messages from brand new members who wanted to purchase a pistol, but then suggested they'd be willing to pay me a higher price if I'd let them make a purchase with an out of state license. The first one was listed as a Premium member but his phone had a Massachusetts area code, so how in the world would he not know better than to ask that? Has anybody else experienced this (because it sure felt like entrapment to me...)??

When I see posts like this, I go and check out the claims. I cannot see private messages unless they are reported. I can see all of the posts in the marketplace. I went to the handgun section and filtered the list to only show WTB ads. I did not find anyone with a low post count with several ads looking to buy pistols for $300.

So if you see something that is questionable, even PM's, feel free to click report under to the post. A thread will be created in a mod only section and all of the mods will be able to look into it.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I had a guy with 420 in his screem name contact me about a sale back in August. Also a premium member with very little info or feedback. Didn't smell right at all. Then there's the new people looking to buy or sell FRTs every few months since that whole ordeal started up. Those always earn a laugh react, just like the 700 dollar Remington 742s that have been popping up this year.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    When I see posts like this, I go and check out the claims. I cannot see private messages unless they are reported. I can see all of the posts in the marketplace. I went to the handgun section and filtered the list to only show WTB ads. I did not find anyone with a low post count with several ads looking to buy pistols for $300.

So if you see something that is questionable, even PM's, feel free to click report under to the post. A thread will be created in a mod only section and all of the mods will be able to look into it.
    The posts they were referring to actually mostly ended up in Handguns, not the classified section. I think one actually landed in classifieds. They were definitely there yesterday, but I don't see them now. Maybe one of the other mods beat ya to it

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    The posts they were referring to actually mostly ended up in Handguns, not the classified section. I think one actually landed in classifieds. They were definitely there yesterday, but I don't see them now. Maybe one of the other mods beat ya to it

Saw them too, but honestly don't remember what forum they were posted in.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Got it. I saw them. They were deleted before I logged in so their ads never showed up on my "new posts" list. But I can see the posts if when I go to that section.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Your response: “Sure bud. If you take that extra money and just pay shipping and the required fee to the FFL you need me to ship it to.”

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Feds and CID are both frequent fliers on here, listed a IOTV several years ago that I had gotten off of fleabay.. CID posing as a buyer made the purchase from me.. Ya know the type.. fit , high and tight hair cut and gave me 20 more than I asked for, Im sure so he wouldnt have to check the cash back in. lol I didnt care, I was innocent and knew what was up.. and I got what I was asking for.. But between the grab and run that was shared recently and the out of state or non local buyers. Its not even worth selling to someone who has not been around long..

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I recently received a couple of messages from a supposed Premium Member with zero feedback on his profile stating he would like to purchase things I have at asking price. Messages are typed out like a child did it and he even said he doesn't check this app much and left a phone number to contact him. Seemed sketchy so I've just ignored. No info found from a quick online search of the number they gave me. Weird stuff.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    The out of state area code on the phone number in these days of mobile cellphones do not really raise "Red Flags" for me due to the way people might move around with the cell phone plans available these days........But there are so many more "Red Flags" that people really need to watch out for...... Not just those that might be up to no good but also someone from one of those 3 letter agency names out to make a name for themselves........ Open you eyes and be very careful........

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    Yep it's the Feds trying to entrap you. Many decades ago when I had my FFL and before the internet I had my business setup as appointment only. I would get urgent calls about needing a firearm right now and they were willing to pay a premium for "extra quick service". I talked to a bud of mine in the sheriff's office he said the Feds do a regular canvas of areas trying to entrap small FFL holders. So watch out.

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I have also been asked at least twice by the same fellow to sell a firearm although he could not produce a LADL. He claimed that he had met residency requirements in LA.
    I explained the residency requirement that is required by law and politely explained that any personal buying or selling I do always requires a LADL for my own piece of mind.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    Below is a screenshot of a conversation that I had in August about a pistol that I had listed. After I told the person that I needed to see a valid ID to purchase, he called me and stated that he was from out of state, ex-military, etc. and said that he didn't need to have an in state id. I made sure I was up to date on the law and told him it was a no go. Didn't think much of it at the time, but in retrospect it does feel fishy. Be careful out there.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
      Screenshot.png
      696.7 KB · Views: 60

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Guys, please report anything that is suspicious and don't do anything illegal.

It's very unlikely that any LEO is trying to "entrap" you on here. What's more likely is that someone is up to no good and is trying to find an easy victim...

Each and every reported post or PM is sent to all moderators and site staff and we are able to track and monitor them all.

Also, as Perez mentioned - we cannot see PMs, you need to report them for us to see them.

Top Bottom