ENTRAPMENT? Two recent experiences on BayouShooter!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The out of state area code on the phone number in these days of mobile cellphones do not really raise "Red Flags" for me due to the way people might move around with the cell phone plans available these days........But there are so many more "Red Flags" that people really need to watch out for...... Not just those that might be up to no good but also someone from one of those 3 letter agency names out to make a name for themselves........ Open you eyes and be very careful........
    Mobile phones certainly change the dynamics a bit, but I guess my spider instincts told me this wasn't a Premium member so stupid that they'd offer me extra $$$ to break the law. Did I mention that he claimed the pistol was actually for his girlfriend who's an alien with a Louisiana driver's license but too busy to meet me herself? Guys, I wish I were imaginative enough to make this crap up!

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yep it's the Feds trying to entrap you. Many decades ago when I had my FFL and before the internet I had my business setup as appointment only. I would get urgent calls about needing a firearm right now and they were willing to pay a premium for "extra quick service". I talked to a bud of mine in the sheriff's office he said the Feds do a regular canvas of areas trying to entrap small FFL holders. So watch out.
    Come to think of it, I encountered one of those attempts over a year ago from somebody needing a firearm right away. Further evidence that it makes sense to always do the right thing so you don't have to worry about being "entrapped..."

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Guys, please report anything that is suspicious and don't do anything illegal.

It's very unlikely that any LEO is trying to "entrap" you on here. What's more likely is that someone is up to no good and is trying to find an easy victim...

Each and every reported post or PM is sent to all moderators and site staff and we are able to track and monitor them all.

Also, as Perez mentioned - we cannot see PMs, you need to report them for us to see them.

Hmmm, just what a Fed would say

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan

It's very unlikely that any LEO is trying to "entrap" you on here. What's more likely is that someone is up to no good and is trying to find an easy victim...

Each and every reported post or PM is sent to all moderators and site staff and we are able to track and monitor them all.

Also, as Perez mentioned - we cannot see PMs, you need to report them for us to see them.
    You have too much faith in the government.. They entrap folks ALL the time. its only entrapment in terms of semantics, its them doing their job if you fall for it.. ask randy weaver and the plenty of other folks who were just trying to be nice guys..

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

I don’t think any LEO would attempt to entrap someone like that either. Totally possible with an AGENT though. Act accordingly…

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don’t think any LEO would attempt to entrap someone like that either. Totally possible with an AGENT though. Act accordingly…
    Entrapment is "the action of tricking someone into committing a crime in order to secure their prosecution."

We know without a shadow of a doubt that we have folks on here actively buying and selling (or stealing) firearms that legally are not allowed to do so. The ATF knows this as well. Trying to bait a criminal into meeting a federal agent is not entrapment. Let's be realistic here.

Don't do illegal things and you won't have a problem.

YaBuddy

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2022
    New Orleans
    I had a guy with 420 in his screem name contact me about a sale back in August. Also a premium member with very little info or feedback. Didn't smell right at all. Then there's the new people looking to buy or sell FRTs every few months since that whole ordeal started up. Those always earn a laugh react, just like the 700 dollar Remington 742s that have been popping up this year.
    @SwampyDog Just bc I do not buy and sell a ton of firearms on platforms like this doesnt make me fishy. How can a new member feel welcome if no one is welling to give him or her a chance. I guess everyone has to protect themself. My first transaction went smoothly with @hkump before I even made an account. He suggested this was the place to safely buy and sell. But more and more I feel unwelcome here. Not to mention over priced used gun in which I can get cheaper new. I will keep my support for @hkump, @AdvancedLaser who did engravings for my SBRs , and @meplatgroup my favorite SOT dealer. As for some of the members you are making this community into some private club. Just saying new legit members has to start from somewhere.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Just bc I do not buy and sell a ton of firearms on platforms like this doesnt make me fishy. How can a new member feel welcome if no one is welling to give him or her a chance. I guess everyone has to protect themself. My first transaction went smoothly with @hkump before I even made an account. He suggested this was the place to safely buy and sell. But more and more I feel unwelcome here. Not to mention over priced used gun in which I can get cheaper new. I will keep my support for @hkump, @AdvancedLaser who did engravings for my SBRs , and @meplatgroup my favorite SOT dealer. As for some of the members you are making this community into some private club. Just saying new legit members has to start from somewhere.
    You might want to ask those other folks to post + feedback for you. It's not just for firearm transfers. I think some folks on here are especially gun shy (no pun intended) when new members from Nola come aboard...

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    @SwampyDog Just bc I do not buy and sell a ton of firearms on platforms like this doesnt make me fishy. How can a new member feel welcome if no one is welling to give him or her a chance. I guess everyone has to protect themself. My first transaction went smoothly with @hkump before I even made an account. He suggested this was the place to safely buy and sell. But more and more I feel unwelcome here. Not to mention over priced used gun in which I can get cheaper new. I will keep my support for @hkump, @AdvancedLaser who did engravings for my SBRs , and @meplatgroup my favorite SOT dealer. As for some of the members you are making this community into some private club. Just saying new legit members has to start from somewhere.
    There are great people in here. Keep your head up. 99.9% are good people. The gun community are some of the best people that you'll ever meet. You're a good guy.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just bc I do not buy and sell a ton of firearms on platforms like this doesnt make me fishy.

But it does make you an unknown.

How can a new member feel welcome if no one is welling to give him or her a chance.

Participate in discussions. The marketplace might be the most popular section of the board but it is not the only section. At any given time, there are plenty of discussions going on. There's bound to be one on a subject you are interested in. If not, you have the option of starting a new discussion.

I guess everyone has to protect themself. My first transaction went smoothly with @hkump before I even made an account. He suggested this was the place to safely buy and sell. But more and more I feel unwelcome here. Not to mention over priced used gun in which I can get cheaper new. I will keep my support for @hkump, @AdvancedLaser who did engravings for my SBRs , and @meplatgroup my favorite SOT dealer. As for some of the members you are making this community into some private club. Just saying new legit members has to start from somewhere.

Yes, everyone has to start somewhere. But it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be accepting and trusting of a complete stranger.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Adding to what Perez said, I'd also like to advocate for not taking things too seriously. It is better to be overly cautious, even if it means losing a sale, than getting burned by something going awry.

Normally, folks aren't willing to buy a premium membership and then try to do illegal things, but there is always an exception. A guy was banned this week who bought a premium membership and then was up to no good.

As for the overpriced used guns thing, that is just gun owners in general. People don't understand that the general public isn't willing to pay dollar-for-dollar costs for attachments. I've also seen people try to justify charging the cost of a used gun by saying "you don't have to pay sales tax," which is equally silly.

Top Bottom