Federal judge rules that concealed carry is probable cause of criminal activity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Federal judge rules concealed carry is probable cause of criminal activity

A Clinton nominee, no surprise.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...cause-of-criminal-activity?cid=examiner-email

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2009/12/15/judge-issues-order-in-marta-case/

December 15, 1:20 PM-Atlanta Gun Rights Examiner-Ed Stone

Federal judge holds that carrying a firearm concealed justifies detention and disarmament, as does carrying a firearm on MARTA.
    Attorney for gun carrier opines that opinion may reach into Georgia's restaurants and state parks as well.

Northern District of Georgia federal judge Thomas W. Thrash Jr. ruled today that carrying a firearm on MARTA justifies forcible detention by the police, in a federal civil rights lawsuit filed over the half hour long detention and disarmament of GeorgiaCarry.Org member Christopher Raissi.

Christopher Raissi holds a Georgia firearms license and frequently carries a handgun concealed. On October 14, 2008, he was carrying concealed on MARTA. He did not know that a MARTA police officer observing the parking lot had seen him holstering and concealing his firearm while still at his car. Therefore, he was surprised when he was surrounded by police officers who yelled "Police!" and ordered him to stop. The officers then seized his firearm from his holster and began questioning him, asking, according to the court's written opinion,

[W]hat are you doing with a gun?

After seeing Raissi's firearms license and driver's license, the officers ran background checks on Raissi and held him, according to Raissi, for half an hour. The officers transported Raissi to a locked area out of the public eye before finally releasing him and returning his firearm and other property.

In the ruling today, Judge Thrash held that merely carrying a concealed firearm justifies such detention and disarmament. He wrote in his opinion that "possession of a firearms license is an affirmative defense to, not an element of, the crimes of boarding [MARTA] with a concealed weapon and carrying a concealed weapon."

After Raissi concealed his handgun and started walking to toward the MARTA station, he had committed all of the acts required for the crime of boarding with a concealed weapon and the crime of carrying a concealed weapon.

As a result, Judge Thrash concluded that the officers had reasonable suspicion that Raissi was committing two crimes. As a result, the officers were justified in using force to detain him, and the "officers were entitled to take Raissi's handgun because they knew Raissi had concealed it on his person and would have easy access to it while they questioned him." The officers were also entitled to ask him for his social security number and transport him to a locked area out of the public view.

Judge Thrash was reluctant to rule on the issue of carrying firearms openly, rather than concealed, on MARTA, because Raissi was carrying his handgun concealed. Instead, he held that such relief is inappropriate until a GeorgiaCarry.Org member sues for constitutional violations while carrying openly at some future date. Judge Thrash recognized that Georgia opinions in cases involving "the separate and distinct crime of carrying a pistol without a license" observe that "the statutory language requires absence of the firearms license as an element of the crime." This makes carrying a handgun openly different from carrying concealed, as the officers seeing an open handgun bear the burden of having a reasonable suspicion that the person carrying openly does not have a firearms license. Carrying openly on MARTA under this court's ruling, however, would still subject one to detention and disarmament, since boarding the MARTA system requires a license as an "affirmative defense," and not as an "element of the crime."

Judge Thrash held for trial Raissi's Privacy Act claim, based on the demand for Raissi's social security number. He refused to rule on the request that MARTA be enjoined from requesting social security numbers because MARTA stated that it no longer demands social security numbers of those who provide firearms licenses. "It seems very unlikely that members of GeorgiaCarry.Org would carry a Georgia firearms license but then refuse to provide it to MARTA police officers."

John Monroe, Christopher Raissi's attorney, expressed disappointment with the opinion and declared that if the opinion stands its effects will be felt far beyond MARTA:

The decision means everyone see carrying a firearm in any place that is prohibited without a license is subject to stop, arrest, and prosecution, even if they have a license. Anyone carrying a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol or a state park is fair game. The same goes for police officers. A police officer carrying a firearm in a restaurant, bar, or school is subject to arrest, including a citizen’s arrest, because being a law enforcement officer is an affirmative defense and not an element of the crime.

Mr. Monroe has not yet decided whether to appeal, but observed that such a decision would probably not be made until the entire case is over, including the trial on the Privacy Act claim.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Maybe I'm confused, but how is this wrong? It is a crime to conceal a weapon without a permit. And last I checked, there is no way to tell if someone has a permit, unless you detain them. Half an hour seems a little bit long, though, but what's the issue?

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    How can they say it a crime, when it is a protected right to bear arms? It is one issue I have never understood. Why would you have to have a permit. 2nd, 4th, and 5th nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law amendments cover this.

I guess it will be something I will never grasp, how you can be denied something they can not deny or infring on.

Ok, had my 2 cents..

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Just more harassment of honest citizens.
    We must voice our objections by not going to Georgia and refusing to do business with any Georgia establishment AND telling Georgia contacts why we are not going there.
    I personally have quit going to California, New York, and New Jersey.
    This may be a US Federal court, but the citizens affected must try to bring pressure to change it.
    leVieux

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    This was not a bash to LEO's. I totally understand if a LEO spots a guy arming himself prior to getting on the transet system to question his motives. They did not have to go NAZI on the guy. A smooth aproach would have been better but these were transit cops. The real issue I posted this for was what the judge said about "probable cause of criminal activity". But the guy did get his gun back and on his way, it just could have been handled in a more discreet manor.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    I was born and raised in North Georgia. I can tell you that the United States of Atlanta is different that the rest of the state. I can understand if the police officer saw a person place a pistol under there jacket for concealement and approached and questioned the individual. I've had this similarly done. The officer just asked for my permit, I showed it to him and that was it, 2-3 minutes. Not a problem. But to be physically detained in a holding area and questioned after producing a permit and having a background check completed is absurd. The LEOs on this forum can attest that a background check does not take 30 minutes.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Sir, please show me your credentials, or I will have to arrest you. :mamoru:
    The decision means everyone see carrying a firearm in any place that is prohibited without a license is subject to stop, arrest, and prosecution, even if they have a license. Anyone carrying a firearm in a restaurant that serves alcohol or a state park is fair game. The same goes for police officers. A police officer carrying a firearm in a restaurant, bar, or school is subject to arrest, including a citizen’s arrest, because being a law enforcement officer is an affirmative defense and not an element of the crime.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I need to think about this a bit more, but something doesn't feel right about treating a permit as an affirmative defense to criminal activity. In my knee jerk mind, having a permit would take you out of the realm of criminal activity. I do agree that there was probable cause for a stop and temporary disarming, but when he produced his permit, he should have been sent on his way. 1/2 hour detainment after production of the permit without more facts warranting it is excessive.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Maybe I'm confused, but how is this wrong? It is a crime to conceal a weapon without a permit. And last I checked, there is no way to tell if someone has a permit, unless you detain them. Half an hour seems a little bit long, though, but what's the issue?

I agree, but like others have said, it shouldn't be a permit in the first place as the system stands now.

However, things being what they are today, by today's rules, seems like the LEO was suspicious or looking for something else, or was just unsure of the laws.

That long and detailed a detention for a regular Joe whose only "crime" was CCH, is a little much.

Should have been able to show permit and be gone, unless reasonable suspicion of other criminal activity exists.

Gotta side with the haters on this one. LOL:D

Last edited:

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Just more harassment of honest citizens.
    We must voice our objections by not going to Georgia and refusing to do business with any Georgia establishment AND telling Georgia contacts why we are not going there.
    I personally have quit going to California, New York, and New Jersey.
    This may be a US Federal court, but the citizens affected must try to bring pressure to change it.
    leVieux
    and yet you live in the Chocolate City.... I have been boycotting that place for quite sometime, just to let you know.:rolleyes:

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Sounds like Georgia has it right. The issue is how the cops handled it.

MARTA Prepares for Implementation of Georgia's New Gun Law on July 1st
    On July 1st, Georgia's new gun law allowing licensed individuals to carry a firearm on public transportation will go into effect. In preparation for this change, MARTA wants to ensure that customers are aware of the new provisions and how the law will be enforced.

Georgia law prohibits the carrying of a pistol, revolver or other firearm on public transit unless a person has a valid firearms license to carry a gun. This license must be carried at any time that an individual is carrying a firearm on MARTA. MARTA police will strictly enforce all provisions of this law. Any individual found to be carrying a firearm without a permit will have it confiscated and will be issued a citation pursuant to Georgia law.

MARTA's work rules strictly prohibit all MARTA employees, whether licensed or not, from the possession of any type of firearm while on MARTA property. This prohibition applies to employees' vehicles while vehicles are parked on any Authority property designated as a secured employee parking area.

When taking MARTA to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, customers need to be aware that firearms laws governing the Airport are different from those governing MARTA. Please see the Airport's website to review their firearms regulations.

MARTA will continue to be diligent in its efforts to provide a safe and secure system. If customers witness suspicious activity, they are advised first and foremost not to put themselves in harms way. Please use discretion and report any suspicious activity to a MARTA police officer or talk to a MARTA staff member who will immediately contact the police. In addition, emergency call buttons are located in all rail cars which go directly to the train operator and bus operators are able to contact MARTA police in case immediate assistance is needed. Customers can also reach MARTA Police by dialing (404) 848-4911 or by pressing #MPD on any AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint/Nextel cellular phone. Blackberry users press #673.

Last edited:

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    I know a little about the GA permit laws. Interesting that you need one to OC or CC. But anyway, as far as a positive defense goes, he did meet the elements of the crime but he's not guilty because he has a permit. I understand reasonable suspicions and all that but 30 minutes is a little long. I'm actually going there in a couple weeks. I'm driving though, no MARTA for me.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    OK, I do agree with the whole, shall not be infringed. But here is the thing.

Until it gets changed, it is still a law. So therefore you must abide by it till it gets changed, or go to jail/receive a citation. So that being as it is, I still see no problem with detaining someone to verify the CCP.

I do not think 30mins was necessary, unless there is something more to the story we haven't read, which is entirely possible. The officers involved appear to just be enforcing the laws of their state, which so far have not been ruled unconstitutional.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    tuna, the e30 minutes are the problem, not the initial stop. As far as things we do not know go, look at the detainee - GeorgiaCarry.Org member Christopher Raissi. Was he seeking a confrontation to make a legal point? More than one protester has set up an arrest to get an issue before the courts.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Another reason why "concealed" should mean "concealed". I see nothing wrong with the decision, and do not see it address the issue of the length of the detainment.

A couple of more points:

1) When you read something in the news, it is almost always wrong in some way, or at least has left out pertinent information.

2) I suspect that the length of detainment is inversely related to the attitude of the detainee. ie., if one is pulled over for speeding, and says 'just hurry up and write the ticket', I suspect that in most cases the LEO would take his sweet time about it.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    One of the main privacy issues raised here was that he was forced to give up his SSN for ID purposes which is against federal law. That is one of the privacy rights violations he will probably sue for.

Last edited:

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    tuna, the e30 minutes are the problem, not the initial stop. As far as things we do not know go, look at the detainee - GeorgiaCarry.Org member Christopher Raissi. Was he seeking a confrontation to make a legal point? More than one protester has set up an arrest to get an issue before the courts.

I don't think the OP had that issue though. Otherwise it would have been titled Federal Judge rules 30min detention of CCP Holder is reasonable, or something to that effect. I think anywhere from 10-15 minutes would have been reasonable at most, but I don't agree with 30mins. That is unless there was something else going on that we don't know about.

One of the main privacy issues raised here was that he was forced to give up his SSN for ID purposes which is against federal law. That is one of the privacy rights violations he will probably sue for.

If you think that is something that is kept secret, think again. If I run your driver's license for any reason, I can see your social security number. If that is something you shouldn't be required to give, then why do I fill that in whenever I arrest someone? I may have overlooked it, but I also don't recall seeing anything saying he had to give his SSN.

I don't want people to think I'm making statements for or against this either. I disagree with it taking 30+mins for the entire process. I also think that even IF the law is unconstitutional, it will be repealed. But as of right now, it is still a law that was being upheld. I see no issue with it being ruled probable cause for a stop and detention of someone for questioning.

Carrying a concealed weapon, in Louisiana, is a violation of state law. There are exemptions to this, which means there are ways you can have an affirmable defense. Disagreeing with that would be like saying killing someone isn't reason to stop and detain someone just because it was self-defense.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Judge Thrash held for trial Raissi's Privacy Act claim, based on the demand for Raissi's social security number.

TUK, The SSN number thing was told to me by a District Attorney I was sharing information with about an incident. Privacy Act was what he said.

Thanks for your input.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom