FFL Drama - Help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I know nothing about FFL business, but is there anything in the log that records how an item was recieved/shipped? If not, then there is no record of how the item was shipped.

I know you're asking just out of curiosity and not "it's not recorded so who cares" :D. But if I were the FFL dealer and A) it came directly from out of state, B) by private citizen and C) illegal shipment.... I'd refuse the deal. $30 ain't worth that potential hassle.

:kiss:

Edit to add: However it's on the FFL dealer for being such an ass about it. There should have been some politeness. He can explain he wouldn't do the deal, and suggest methods to correct the situation without being a jerk.

Last edited:

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    "This, except most do not care how it gets there. The FFL would not get in trouble because something was mailed to him. The blame would fall on the one who shipped them."

You sure about that Duckyou? I mean I hope you're right but how do you know?

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Ok, this gets better & better. Just got off the phone with another local FFL. I called him & explained the situation to see if he would be willing to accept the transfer if I could persuade On Target to ship the guns to him. He said he'd be glad to but that most likely won't happen. He said that bc of the illegal shipping, that he was "pretty sure" On Target has to ship them back to the state they came from, in this case Alabama. I asked for future references if he accepted from private individual & he said Hell Yes as long as the have a copy of the seller's driver's license. I still haven't spoken to On Target yet, that will be in the next hour most likely.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Ok, got off the phone with On Target. Even though I'm the real loser in this whole equation, I HAVE to chuckle here. He is STILL going berzerk about "some guy in Alabama" having his FFL and he has called his ATF rep to see what to do about this whole situation. Wow... We got cut off bc he had a customer come in but he's supposed to call me back.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Oh he's not really even complaining about the illegal shipping today. He's all bent out of shape that a private individual mailed him guns and has access to his ffl. I literally read him the law pertaining to individual transfers right off gunbrokers page and he said that was wrong!

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    I've seen listings on GunBroker that state in the description that "Be sure your FFL will accept firearms from private individuals."

I've sold several firearms, and bought several. Every incoming and outgoing firearm is through my FFL only, twice have sellers sent a firearm with their private drivers license only after my FFL contacted the seller to feel them out and agree to the DL copy.

It's a scary process when the sender isn't an FFL holder, especially with the ease of fraud and identity theft, but Your FFL should be able to contact the party in AL and get enough credentials to put his mind at ease and do a 4473 with you. If anything he should just hold the firearms till things are worked out or contact his BATFE rep to find out how to proceed correctly.

My FFL is always calling his BATFE rep with questions to keep everything "Jake", maybe this FFL needs to refresh himself about these matters to prevent this from happening.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    Right Chicago, I checked the seller's listings when all this started. They say nothing about him shipping as an individual. I've seen what you're talking about on several items on gunbroker, probably even bought a few. Never had anything like this happen. I was on the phone with the seller for about 30 minutes this morning. He seems like a stand up Guy and he's stated a few times already he'll make this right. Plus he has a A+ 185 rating on gunbroker. I'm willing to take him at his word for right now at least.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Please explain how he broke the law by picking up a package with out having a FFL?

An individual can ship to FFL's.

Not handguns though USPS. He could say he didnt know what it was but he did know it was a handgun.
    My only worry would be that I picked up a gun that was illegal to ship USPS. However once he got out the PO it was over. Now its time for him to move on.

When someone would ship me a firearm I always told the shipper to send me a copy of their FFL. And if they didnt that box would sit in the PO until I got the copy of the FFL.
    If the OPs FFL only wanted to receive from a FFL he should have gotten a copy before hand.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Oh he's not really even complaining about the illegal shipping today. He's all bent out of shape that a private individual mailed him guns and has access to his ffl. I literally read him the law pertaining to individual transfers right off gunbrokers page and he said that was wrong!

At this point just tell him hes right and he needs to mail the gun back to the seller though USPS:rofl:.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    A+ feedback rating is good but look closer to see what he's bought and sold recently. He could've built up a 185 rating 5 years ago but has recently come into hard times and needs to feed the babies at home. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Reagan said "Trust but verify."

I'm sure and I hope all goes well with this deal.

And thanks for keeping the economy going :)

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    your FFL absolutely CAN ship those pistols right back to the orig. owner. Without going through another FFL. After he has them entered in his books. Its not a big deal or shouldn't be anyway. Get the guys info and send them back. Simple

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    your FFL absolutely CAN ship those pistols right back to the orig. owner. Without going through another FFL. After he has them entered in his books. Its not a big deal or shouldn't be anyway. Get the guys info and send them back. Simple

USPS ??

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    FFL can ship to the owner of the firearm. Same with manufacturers.

Oh, and I am sure about the other.

So I the owner of my G-26 can have my buddy Bob ship my G-26 to a FFL. And that FFL can ship that gun back to ME the owner?

And the other what?

Last edited:

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    The FFL here sounds like an amateur who doesn't understand how to do even basic business oriented tasks like receiving firearms or using his license for others who want to ship firearms to him. Not to mention that his customer service skills seem to warrant a major overhaul as well. Pity, just what the industry needs is another participant that will make it easy for critics to find fault with. (If he can't do this simple task correctly then what else can't he do?)

Top Bottom