Firemen and steroids

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Helping EMS lift the large patients sure as hell don't require... we can get a big'en up with 4 people total.If anything cardio and endurance is needed more than brute strength.

Trust me, there are patients out there that will require way more than 4 people to load in an ambulance and when you come across them you will be grateful for those bulked-up firefighters, whether they're juicing or not....;)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Trust me, there are patients out there that will require way more than 4 people to load in an ambulance and when you come across them you will be grateful for those bulked-up firefighters, whether they're juicing or not....;)

I am still considering quitting my job and marketing a patient-safe 1-person portable crane. If it takes off, screw working ever again, AND my former co-workers will worship me, lol

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I don't. You must not understand how much FFs don't do. There's not a fire every shift, and extrication of a person from a vehicle doesn't really require super strength. Helping EMS lift the large patients sure as hell don't require... we can get a big'en up with 4 people total. Steroids in fire are just like steroids in anything else, its for personal gain. The effects on the heart actually put them at a disadvantage because of exertion they may do in a fire... and drop dead afterwards. If anything cardio and endurance is needed more than brute strength.

I have taken care of many 600#+ patients. I don't know what the 4 people you are having help you look like, but 600# people are not build like weights. No handles, and their weight is not static. It's like transporting a hefty-bag full of soup.

Agree on endurance/stamina. Same for fighting.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    In a perfect world, whatever, who cares, let them do what they want.

If they're getting health benefits paid for by our tax dollars, then hell no.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't. You must not understand how much FFs don't do. There's not a fire every shift, and extrication of a person from a vehicle doesn't really require super strength. Helping EMS lift the large patients sure as hell don't require... we can get a big'en up with 4 people total. Steroids in fire are just like steroids in anything else, its for personal gain. The effects on the heart actually put them at a disadvantage because of exertion they may do in a fire... and drop dead afterwards. If anything cardio and endurance is needed more than brute strength.

I've had them go from talking to us to dead because we (4 firemen and two medics) could not get them out of the living room and damn sure not in the back of the EMS unit. By the time the other trucks got there we called for we were mashing and blowing. I must agree that most of the ones that do use AAS use them for personal gains, but also they do loads of cardio.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've had them go from talking to us to dead because we (4 firemen and two medics) could not get them out of the living room and damn sure not in the back of the EMS unit. By the time the other trucks got there we called for we were mashing and blowing. I must agree that most of the ones that do use AAS use them for personal gains, but also they do loads of cardio.

Well, did they go from living to dead because you were slow and weak, or because they were fat and sedentary and had a ton of co-morbidities? Lets place the blame where it belongs here. It's not the fire-person's job to counter-balance decades of poor lifestyle choices. You are not a human fork-lift. Sure, you try 100% and are happy when you can succeed as such, but it's not you to blame when you cannot.

I would never methodically and purposefully compromise my own health to help those who do not care about their own. Nowhere is that in my contract that I am aware.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well, did they go from living to dead because you were slow and weak, or because they were fat and sedentary and had a ton of co-morbidities? Lets place the blame where it belongs here. It's not the fire-person's job to counter-balance decades of poor lifestyle choices. You are not a human fork-lift. Sure, you try 100% and are happy when you can succeed as such, but it's not you to blame when you cannot.

I would never methodically and purposefully compromise my own health to help those who do not care about their own. Nowhere is that in my contract that I am aware.
    Oh I agree %100 I assure you we were not slow or week, that wasnt the point I was trying to make.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Oh I agree %100 I assure you we were not slow or week, that wasnt the point I was trying to make.

Exactly. There will ALWAYS be someone that you won't be able to drag out of a house in time no matter how 'roided up you are. Let the responsibility for their actions fall on their health, not your own. Do your job 100% to 100% of your ability and that is that. You wouldn't do PCP to get amped up so you could carry them, would you? So why do something that is going to impact cardiovascular health as well as your relationships. I had a roommate who juiced. Many cycles. He was a raging dick when he was juicing. Not everyone is, but enough people are.

This is about responsibility more than anything, imo. If you are going to eat your way to 600#+, it's noone's problem but your own when you cannot be transported, and you should NOT expect them to be juicing with your fat ass in mind.

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Well of course there are patients that require a full team (which isn't enough) to get them loaded. But the average patient in the upper weight limit is 3-400lbs for us, which isn't fun but we make do. Without hydraulics on our stretcher :P . before I got into ems they supposedly had one over 800lbs here in picayune. Every time that residence called they'd activate everyone (fire, ems, leo).

The whole point of my post is there are no justifications to use a fire career to take steroids. A healthy diet and strength training will suffice, and muscular endurance is more important. The only career I can understand taking them is someone in their 40s who is a body builder, which is their problem.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Well of course there are patients that require a full team (which isn't enough) to get them loaded. But the average patient in the upper weight limit is 3-400lbs for us, which isn't fun but we make do. Without hydraulics on our stretcher :P . before I got into ems they supposedly had one over 800lbs here in picayune. Every time that residence called they'd activate everyone (fire, ems, leo).

The whole point of my post is there are no justifications to use a fire career to take steroids. A healthy diet and strength training will suffice, and muscular endurance is more important. The only career I can understand taking them is someone in their 40s who is a body builder, which is their problem.

Body-builders can compete in all-natural divisions.

There is NO EXCUSE. It's a choice. If you choose to do so, I respect it, but I cannot respect YOU, if you use excuses to justify the choice. Just be a man and own your actions without excuse.

*You = collective

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA

I got spoiled to those hydraulic stretchers when I worked the streets...Wish we would have had those years ago...When I started, we were still using those old two-man "backbreaker" stretchers...Fun times!!!!

Now not only do they have hydraulic stretchers, but Stryker makes a lift assist device to help with loading and some units come equipped with built-in ramps and a winch located under the captains seat in the back to facilitate loading those "big uns"....

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I got spoiled to those hydraulic stretchers when I worked the streets...Wish we would have had those years ago...When I started, we were still using those old two-man "backbreaker" stretchers...Fun times!!!!

Now not only do they have hydraulic stretchers, but Stryker makes a lift assist device to help with loading and some units come equipped with built-in ramps and a winch located under the captains seat in the back to facilitate loading those "big uns"....
    I would like to give the one that invented the stair chair a big high five! I was going to say kiss but that would have been a little :ghey:

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    How lovely it would be to get pulled over by a LEO with a behind the badge ego on a traffic stop, and he all of a sudden have a fit of Roid Rage....Go to the gym......the risk of getting non counterfit roids by itself is a major risk....the health affects alone arent worth it ,and lastly, they are illegal...!!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    When I started in the field we had Ferno Model 29a stretchers. For you kids those are the one you lower to the ground at the head and foot. Then get on each side and pick the entire stretcher pt and all in the unit. Pt's have not gotten smaller since then. I didn't need steroids. I still don't. Yes I use FF's to help load the pt's. But 90% of the time 2 of us UNLOAD them at the hospital afterwards. My partner is in his 50's and I'm in my 40's. We have good technique.

Quit using the job as an excuse. Use them if you want. I really don't care. But quit making excuses and shaving your arms.

Dave

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    When I started in the field we had Ferno Model 29a stretchers. For you kids those are the one you lower to the ground at the head and foot. Then get on each side and pick the entire stretcher pt and all in the unit. Pt's have not gotten smaller since then. I didn't need steroids. I still don't. Yes I use FF's to help load the pt's. But 90% of the time 2 of us UNLOAD them at the hospital afterwards. My partner is in his 50's and I'm in my 40's. We have good technique.

Quit using the job as an excuse. Use them if you want. I really don't care. But quit making excuses and shaving your arms.

Dave

But that 10% of the time...lol

I am willing to bet you and your partner couldn't budge 10-20% of the patients on my floor at any given time. I live in Shreveport.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How lovely it would be to get pulled over by a LEO with a behind the badge ego on a traffic stop, and he all of a sudden have a fit of Roid Rage....Go to the gym......the risk of getting non counterfit roids by itself is a major risk....the health affects alone aren't worth it and, lastly, they are illegal...!!

That's what I was thinking...

Top Bottom