First F-class match...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    And I came in first place!!! Well, in my division anyway. I shot in F-T/R and scored a 554-8x. Although what really took some steam out of my win is that I only bested second place by one point..........which was a chick...........shooting a .223! *sigh*

No biggie. I'm pretty proud of myself for being my first time shooting past 300yds. There are some guys out there who just plain freakin SHOOT!:eek3: The wind picked up from a slight 5mph breeze in the morning to a gusty 12-15mph wind by this afternoon and they were still scoring in the high 580's. The turn out was impressive and it looked like everyone was enjoying the challenge that the winds at Palo Alto offer. Good to see dzelenka, RDO, S.I.T. and all the other BS members out there!

My younger brother came out and took his first shots EVER with a centerfire rifle today. I spent a few hours last night going over the basics with him (B.R.A.S.S.-F.) and the workings of the DPMS LR-308 which he shot with today. He made a hundred or so dry firings before ever pulling the trigger on a live round and it showed today in his results. He still managed a 507-2x. We had a blast and will certainly be at the next match that I'm home for. He also brought out a camera and got some video that I'll post up when I get a copy.

LongRange, you REALLY need to put your Weatherby where your mouth is and make it out there for March. Shooting next to that little girl and her .223 is a humbling experience!! :D

Last edited:

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself and say hello but I was on firing point 13 I was First Master with a 578-20x shooting a 308 with the sling.

I am glad my daugher took it easy on you and by the way she is only 16.

Buck

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Where was the match held ??

It was out at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville.

Buck, you must be a mighty proud Papa!! It's good to see women getting involved with the sport and teaching the kids to appreciate it is what will increase our chances of keeping our freedoms in the future. Great shooting today and your score is one of those that I just shook my head when I saw it. I've got a good bit of practice and trigger time before I can start calling wind like that!! Tell your daughter "congrats" from me. She shot damn well too.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Where were you today Owen502 and SKYWLKR? I brought some 77 gr SMKs for you.

Ritten barely escaped the embarassment of being whipped by a 16 yr old shooting a .223. But she did beat 4 other F TR shooters. As she proved you don't need 100 or even 50 grains of powder and a big heavy bullet to shoot a good score.

We also had another young lady (13 years old) shooting an AR-15 service rifle from a sling. She shoots F-class with a .223 too.

It was a beautiful, but challenging day. The wind picked up to the point that I needed a bit over 5 minutes of windage on my AR at one point. My day didn't work out too well. It seemed that I neglected to read my number board and cross-fired not once, but twice! That was a quick 20 points down the drain.

Shooting 600 yds is a hoot. If you have a reasonably accurate rifle, you should come out and try it. You really owe it to yourself.

We shoot the 600 yard match on the first Saturday of every month. Be there for 7:45 and we will help you through the rest.

Dan

s.i.t.

lead slinger
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    new orleans la
    hey buck, your daughter does shoot well, i watched while in the pits, cause dons shoot a machine gun. once she found the 9 ring she never left it. but you know i had to mess with her about last months match. lol, the way the score was happening i was ahead of her by 2 point after our second string and thats when it started to rain. everyone out there is fun to shoot with and thats why i continue to go out the to have fun.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself and say hello but I was on firing point 13 I was First Master with a 578-20x shooting a 308 with the sling.

I am glad my daugher took it easy on you and by the way she is only 16.

Buck

Buck,

What exactly is your daughter shooting?

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    sorry, i have to get into college.

i believe bucks daughter is shooting a barnard action, and mastin f-class stock, a broughton barrel? chamber to 1:7. Buck said she is shooting Berger VLD's

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I plan on making the April shoot.

Can someone explain the scoring?

What do you want to know? The target is a standard bullseye with concentric rings of varying point values increasing as you near the center. Or do you want to know about working the target in the pits and marking it so the shooter and his scorer know both where the bullet hit and its point value? A 3" disk on a spindle goes in the shot hole (white on black and black on white), and a 6" disk goes in a location around the outside of the target to show the shot value (X is bottom left corner, 10 is bottom middle, 9 is bottom right corner, etc.) That way a person on the line 600 yards away can quickly see the location and value of each shot. When the next shot comes in, you move the disks and cover the previous hole with a paster. It is pretty easy - all of our juniors do it.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    sorry, i have to get into college.

i believe bucks daughter is shooting a barnard action, and mastin f-class stock, a broughton barrel? chamber to 1:7. Buck said she is shooting Berger VLD's

I thought you were going to shoot your way in.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    So a score of something-8x means they hit the bottom left 8 times?

Ive worked the pits on the KD ranges in the military sounds about the same; but I would suspect ya'll have better equipment and berms

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    So a score of something-8x means they hit the bottom left 8 times?

Ive worked the pits on the KD ranges in the military sounds about the same; but I would suspect ya'll have better equipment and berms

It is exactly the same as a military KD range, except our target carriers are much easier to work. 8X means yo have hit the X ring (very center of target) 8 times.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Buck,

What exactly is your daughter shooting?

Dan,

That's the rifle Melvin bought a couple of years ago. The midget is partially correct.

Rifle is a Jim Cloward build using a Barnard action, mastin prone stock with True Flite 1-8 twist @ 30".
    Nikon Monarch 6-24
    Bipod and rear bag
    Load used is naturally a 80gn Berger VLD with 24.2gn's of Varget a very mild load.

Buck

Last edited:
    Top Bottom