FL Non-resident

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CHOLMES

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Chalmette, La
    I saw the other thread on this subject was closed because it became a p-ing match. However, as a new member to this forum (and a Florida Non-resident permit holder) I think it's important for good info about this subject to continue. Here's what I know:

I knew nothing of this until today when a friend sent me a link to the LSR CC website.

I've spoken to the NRA/ILA and they are quite interested in the issue and are currently looking into it.

There's still been no official notification to permit holders about this change.

There has been no change to the Louisiana revised statutes which say this permit is valid.

I have requested official information from Sgt. Reavis outlining the change and a cite to the authority to make such change which appears to me to circumvent the existing State laws. I've not heard anything yet.

Please keep any responses on the subject and not personal so the thread won't be closed again. This is important and should be discussed accordingly.

Thanks.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I just thought that I would let you guys know that your calls to legislators has had an affect. A bill will be introduced by an A+ rated pro gun legislator to close the door on all non-resident permit recognition. It will pass.

There are serious issues with the compliance by non-residents with Florida's concealed carry laws. i.e. there are CCH mills that are certifying that people are qualified without doing any of the required training (such as it is). Pushing the issue is likely to get hearings parading a cast of clowns before a committee that calls into question the legitimacy of all CCH training.

We have a legislature that has provided us with a reasonable "shall issue" permit process. There is no constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon. Problems with the system could cause some legislators to decide it contains more detriments than benefits. Corrective action such as the above referenced bill takes away our ability to modify the concealed carry statute to reduce the number of places that are prohibited. How do you ask for on campus carry when the more wishy washy legislators are worried about the integrity of the system as a whole?

Don't get me wrong. I think that every law abiding citizen has a duty to carry for the protection of himself/herself and/or others. I think that the law abiding should be able to carry everywhere without restriction. Politics is a funny game though, and realists should learn what battles to fight and what should be left alone. This one should be left alone. Bite the bullet and get your LA permit.

I am sure this post will draw its share of ranting. Save yourself the trouble. I am aware what the state of the federal and state constitutional law is concerning firearms better than most.

Dan

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom