? For the bigger guys

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    What do you cc, where and in what?
    I am 6'2" and 285. 38-40" waist and am always in either jeans or shorts and 95% of the time a t shirt. I have wider shoulders and am somewhat tall so unless I shop in the big and tall section (think homeboy t shirts), my shirt doesn't go real far past my waistline. Add the gut and love handles to the equation and my options are limited unless I wear mc hammer pants. The 4-5 o clock position with and iwb holster is about my only comfortable option.
    So what are the larger fellows out there toting?
    And no, I don't need carry advice from someone weighing a buck fifty that carries a desert eagle owb at 3 o clock telling me that nobody ever even knows they are carrying or anyone telling me to go on a diet and Mexican carry a tec9!

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Mostly khaki's and a tucked in polo for me. Best I can usually do is a keltec in a pocket holster. Higher risk areas I put a 1911 behind my right hip, butt to the outside (left hand holster) and I don't care if it prints (it doesn't).
    On occasion in jeans I'll put a 9mm smith behind the right hip ( say 5 o'clock carry). Its not as concealable as the kt nor as comfortable (especially if I sit down) but the extra rounds (12 rd double stack) are nice.
    I really need to find a small flat 9mm with a decent length barrel. That smith is a chunky piece with lots of sharp corners!

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm pretty similar in size. I carry a full size M&P9 with TLR1 in a Raven Concealment Phantom at about 2o'lock, or if carrying outside the shirt with a jacket, about 4oclock. I use the hip bone to hide the gun's outline.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Carriere, MS
    I'm 6'3" and 270. I am also long waisted so I have to chose my shirts carefully as many t-shirts are too short to adequately cover an IWB rig. I carry the XDs45 in a Foxx IWB holster in the 4/5 oclock position with comfort and concealability under a t-shirt. If I wear a polo shirt I can carry just about anything I want in such a fashion. I know some people prefer the appendix carry but I have never felt comfortable with that style.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I'm 6'0" and 246lbs.
    Waist is a 38" when using IWB.
    I use a RM low rider.
    I wear a thin undershirt and a tshirt. It is pretty comfortable to me. You could alter the way you dress as well, wearing button up shirts, looser polos etc. I carry about 3:00 maybe 4:00 depending on what I'm wearing.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Oh, i chopped the grip to take compact mags. Makes a difference with printing.

Also, I much preferred the Comp Tac Minotaur/MTAC I used to use, but it wouldn't accommodate the light. I'm really underwhelmed by the Phantom.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I was 265 6'3" in Jan, now am 235 and plan to lose another 15 ASAP. As you already have stated, being heavy in the middle has a few more challenges. T-shirts, pull overs(golf shirts) et al can be short. I've worn fishing shirts for 10+ yrs, usually are a lot lower than what's mentioned above and I have found to cover well.
    Holster wise, what has worked for me, is a kydex IWB at 3:30-4. There are many options for these out there, my experience is with the low-rider made by RM over in Baton Rouge.
    I know you didn't want to hear the "lose wt"...but I can attest to how much easier it is to carry when inches are lost at the waist and belly..
    Hope this helps.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I'm 6'3" just over 300 I wear jeans or cargo shorts with a button up shirt untucked. I have a Galco Super Tuck and a Sig 229 worn 3:30-4:00.
    Loosing quite a few lbs for me is a must.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I'm 6', 260lbs, 40" waist. I normally wear shorts and a t-shirt, polo, or fishing shirt. I carry OWB with an Off The Grid Concepts Nocturnal Sidewinder at about 8:00. My shirts are usually just long enough to cover the bottom of my holster.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    6'5", 290. G19 in RM Low Rider (southpaw) works well for me with a good belt. Spare Mag.

Same holster setup goes for my G30, and G36.

If LCP is used, DeSantis Nemesis. Spare mag.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Get an IWB holster. I can carry my XDM any where and no one sees it. (Cross Breed for Example)
    I am fat to be blunt. I can either tuck in my shirt or wear it outside. I wear shorts, or jeans or dress clothes and concealment is no problem.
    I can carry my pocket pistol also no matter what I am wearing and have had no problem.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I am 6'1" 285 and I carry a 5" NHC 1911 with an X300 on it in a Savoy custom leather IWB at about 5 o'clock. When I carry a Glock 19 it is in a RM holster from BR. I usually wear cargo shorts or something of that nature with an untucked polo or t-shirt. For the most part I have no issues with printing. I always wear an under armour compression type shirt under my top layer. I have been thinking about switching to Spanks for men though!! J/K

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I got a tagua IWB holster for my g19. If I dont like the holster but like IWB, I can always get a nicer setup, hard to beat the tagua for the price though.
    I never tuck a shirt in, always jeans or cargo shorts for me. I will just have to pay more attention to t shirts that are shorter when carrying i guess.
    Considering getting a g26 or maybe a ruger lc9 though.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Look at "Duluth Trading Company". They make extra length T-shirts. They also have some different kinds of shirts with longer tails and other clothing items designed to, to quote their ads, "cover plumber's butt" and they show a cartoon guy with his crack exposed. Tacky but effective.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I don't qualify in this weight class but I have gained weight recently (temporary side effect of quitting smoking) and have topped the 2 bill scale. Anyway, I have always carried a 642 J frame OWB in a pancake style beltslide holster at 3:00 position with a T shirt, polo or button up shirt covering the gun. I don't ever tuck my shirt and I don't ever wear any kind of fitted shirt so I don't worry much about printing. Pancake style holsters are great for me because it naturally compresses itself against your body without maximizing your profile.

DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    I'm 6'2, ~250-260 lbs. I wear jeans or cargo pants (not super baggy though) and button up short sleves or polos. I can conceal full sized pistols (1911/ XD/ 4" .357/ HP etc) in an IWB holster on the rear of my right hip. For quick errands I take a AMT Backup .45 in a pocket holster, to be honest, this actually prints quite a bit in comparison but its only for quick runs.

When I got the IWB I was blown away. Far better than anything I'd used previously and now I'm a complete convert. I can carry a full size 1911 and 3 magazines without any printing and with full range of movement. The key is an IWB and a good gun belt. If you have a bad belt, you're going to be really limited.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom