Frozen EVs in Chicago.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I always wondered about that. I am not sure how they do it. I'd guess some apartments have them.

I stayed at a hotel a few years ago and they had one in the front parking lot which is strange. I asked the Mgr. why it was there. He said there is a customer who stays weekly with them for years and he asked for it to be installed or he would have to go elsewhere, so they installed it. Apparently Tesla pays for businesses to install them, and gives them a free destination charger.

I'd say 4.5 million people would disagree with you

4.5 million is a drop of water in a bucket when you compare that to the number of ICE vehicles. Do you really think that electric cars are ready to replace ICE vehicles?

I’d say Billions of people would disagree with you.

Like you said in a previous post you know what’s best for you so I’m sure for what you require the electric car is just fine. It’s just not practical for most people and can’t come close to competing with the convenience of a ICE vehicle.

Until they can make a vehicle that can charge in less than 5 minutes and travel upwards of 500 miles without a recharge I’ll stick to what works best for me.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This is probably all true but it doesn’t change the fact that electric cars simply just aren’t as convenient and as efficient as vehicles with internal combustion engines. I like the technology in them personally but it seems like too much of a hassle for every day life. I’m good with standing at the pump once a week for a minute or so and until they come out with electric cars that can rival gas and diesel I’ll stick to vehicles with internal combustion engines.

I look at electric cars like a convertible. Nice to have if you can afford it and drive around on weekends and whatnot but not practical for every day life.
    Do you know anyone that has an EV, personally? I've probably got ~10 different people that I know, personally, with EVs who would disagree with you on day-to-day convenience.

EVs are not the option for folks who are driving multiple hundreds of miles per day or who are taking frequent long-distance roadtrips. But most people don't do that.

If your average commute is less than 50 miles each way, that's 100 miles of driving per day. With that distance, every morning you'll wake up with a fully charged EV where you never need to use a supercharger to top off. You just go home, plug in, and wake up with your vehicle with a "full tank"

That's the solution for the individuals with a garage and charging station. What about the people who live in apartments? People who don’t have charging stations at home?

Electric cars are cool but not practical for every day life. Like I said in a previous post I look at electric cars like convertibles. Fun to have but not practical for every day life.
    Many apartments have EV charging stations at them. For smaller apartments where you can park close to your front door, you can simply run an extension cord to the car. My old apartment, before I bought a house, had 12 EV fast-chargers.

If you don't have the ability to charge at home, EVs probably don't make sense. But there are plenty of products that make sense for homeowners and not for folks in an apartment.

4.5 million is a drop of water in a bucket when you compare that to the number of ICE vehicles. Do you really think that electric cars are ready to replace ICE vehicles?

I’d say Billions of people would disagree with you.

Like you said in a previous post you know what’s best for you so I’m sure for what you require the electric car is just fine. It’s just not practical for most people and can’t come close to competing with the convenience of a ICE vehicle.

Until they can make a vehicle that can charge in less than 5 minutes and travel upwards of 500 miles without a recharge I’ll stick to what works best for me.
    I don't think anyone is or would argue that with current technology and infrastructure that EVs are ready to replace ICE vehicles. But eventually they will be.

The need to get 500 miles in 5 minutes really isn't something that most people need unless they're driving super long distances frequently.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Can you reference this ? This is no where in any manual, and three people I asked said its not correct.
    Here since you have reached Master level of all car manuals and repairs, Congrats.

Attachments

• youtube-certified-master-automobile-technician.jpg
      youtube-certified-master-automobile-technician.jpg
      344.4 KB · Views: 25

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Do you know anyone that has an EV, personally? I've probably got ~10 different people that I know, personally, with EVs who would disagree with you on day-to-day convenience.

EVs are not the option for folks who are driving multiple hundreds of miles per day or who are taking frequent long-distance roadtrips. But most people don't do that.

If your average commute is less than 50 miles each way, that's 100 miles of driving per day. With that distance, every morning you'll wake up with a fully charged EV where you never need to use a supercharger to top off. You just go home, plug in, and wake up with your vehicle with a "full tank"

Many apartments have EV charging stations at them. For smaller apartments where you can park close to your front door, you can simply run an extension cord to the car. My old apartment, before I bought a house, had 12 EV fast-chargers.

If you don't have the ability to charge at home, EVs probably don't make sense. But there are plenty of products that make sense for homeowners and not for folks in an apartment.

I don't think anyone is or would argue that with current technology and infrastructure that EVs are ready to replace ICE vehicles. But eventually they will be.

The need to get 500 miles in 5 minutes really isn't something that most people need unless they're driving super long distances frequently.
    You typed a bunch of stuff to essentially say nothing but yes I can think of at least 10 people who own one including family. I’ve driven and ridden in one a handful of times.

Great cars just not practical for most people. I’m sure eventually they’ll make one that can suit my needs or wants but they don’t currently.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You typed a bunch of stuff to essentially say nothing but yes I can think of at least 10 people who own one including family. I’ve driven and ridden in one a handful of times.

Great cars just not practical for most people. I’m sure eventually they’ll make one that can suit my needs or wants but they don’t currently.
    Maybe read it again...? My whole point is that they probably are practical for the average person with an average commute. If anything, they're probably more practical than an ICE vehicle, given you never/rarely have to go to a station to charge/fill-up.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thought Tesla had a built in safety feature called a TSL on its battery's.
    Temperature Safety Low boys, Needs to be charged inside a heated garage.
    TSL is set at 32 degrees, To cold the machine will not allow itself to take a charge as to not damage the batteries.
    It's the fine print that matters the most.
    Can you reference this ? This is no where in any manual, and three people I asked said its not correct.
    Do your own research as I don't give 2 hoots what other people say.
    Dead Teslas are a dime a dozen In Chikago, What do you think is happening?
    Here since you have reached Master level of all car manuals and repairs, Congrats.

I googled "Temperature Safety Low" tesla to find out more information on this feature. Of the 130,000,000,000 web pages indexed by google, 2 meet that search filter.

In other words, I did my own research it proves that you made it up. Which may explain the picture of the patch from your uniform shirt.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 133346.png

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    And the actual Tesla vehicle manual shows no listing of those words or anything remotely related to how he described it could happen.

THIS is how internet rumors start. Someone says some random junk, that he made up, on a web board and several people take it as fact and repeat it.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I googled "Temperature Safety Low" tesla to find out more information on this feature. Of the 130,000,000,000 web pages indexed by google, 2 meet that search filter.

In other words, I did my own research it proves that you made it up. Which may explain the picture of the patch from your uniform shirt.

View attachment 155988
    Shocker there. Very similar to how Magderp claimed that banks are tracking serial #s of bills, with no evidence besides a product on Amazon.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

View attachment 155988
    Well there you go next Ill make up Temperature Safety High or
    I like pressure safety high/lows too.
    Then I may get into flow safety high/low
    Liberal heads are about to explode here baahaahaa

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Well sure they are . :D You can't trust banks . My late mother firmly believed that banks would search safe deposit boxes to see what you were hiding .
    If only she knew the pain it was to deal with safe boxes.

If someone died and we had to break into a box, it literally required two employees and someone from the safe company to all be in the vault at the same time. All three people had to observe everything done by everyone and follow a really specific procedure. Then all three had to sign off on the inventory of the box and what not. There were even some situations where a notary had to be involved, too.

Many (maybe even most at this point) have gotten away from selling new safe boxes due to how difficult they are to work with.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If only she knew the pain it was to deal with safe boxes.

If someone died and we had to break into a box, it literally required two employees and someone from the safe company to all be in the vault at the same time. All three people had to observe everything done by everyone and follow a really specific procedure. Then all three had to sign off on the inventory of the box and what not. There were even some situations where a notary had to be involved, too.
    So I've heard . You couldn't convince her differently though .

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Here’s how I Know that EVs aren’t ready for prime time, the people who say it is ready & you will own one by 2035. That’s...
    Joe Roomba biden
    John Private Jet Kerry
    Pete Booty Judge
    Gavin Brown Out Newsom
    Al Mr Internet Gore
    Greta Swedish Meatball.
    All liars & hypocrites.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Grandma keep her cash jug in the freezer, Gallon jug of morgans buried under her house somewhere?
    Dude we had people who would withdraw money from their account, take the cash, and immediately stash it in their safe box.

It was a horrible idea for many reasons:
    1) Safe boxes have no FDIC insurance. If the building burns down, the cash is not insured or protected.
    2) Access can be heavily delayed to safe boxes. Banks have very strict regulations on how long they can restrict access to cash in an account....but much more lax restrictions on restricting access to a safe box.
    3) Louisiana floods. A branch could be shut down for weeks or months where no one can access the vault, including the safe box.

We also had folks who would keep 100+ pounds of precious metals in their safe box to the point where they needed assistance getting the metal box out of the safe and where the box was warping when lifted up.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Dude we had people who would withdraw money from their account, take the cash, and immediately stash it in their safe box.

It was a horrible idea for many reasons:
    1) Safe boxes have no FDIC insurance. If the building burns down, the cash is not insured or protected.
    2) Access can be heavily delayed to safe boxes. Banks have very strict regulations on how long they can restrict access to cash in an account....but much more lax restrictions on restricting access to a safe box.
    3) Louisiana floods. A branch could be shut down for weeks or months where no one can access the vault, including the safe box.

We also had folks who would keep 100+ pounds of precious metals in their safe box to the point where they needed assistance getting the metal box out of the safe and where the box was warping when lifted up.
    Lots of old folks are/were like that.
    Found a bank bag at one of the estate sales couple of months ago.
    Belonged to the old man and everyone didn't know about it.
    Inside 5 dollar silver certificate
    Several 2 dollar bills held together with a paper clip and it had rusted
    Several more 1 dollar silver certificates.
    That paper clip had ruined anything it touched.
    We turned it over to the daughter

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    The space shuttle has been known to do 17000 miles per hour, but I don't think any vehicle on earth can do 6000 miles per hour, over long distances, frequently! Top speed of the Concorde is just over 1350 MPH!

Top Bottom