Generator question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I figured some of you guys have researched and have experience on this topic so which portable generator for storm related power outages. Needs to run 2 window ACs and a icebox.
    ALso inverter or open frame? WHat do you own?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I figured some of you guys have researched and have experience on this topic so which portable generator for storm related power outages. Needs to run 2 window ACs and a icebox.
    ALso inverter or open frame? WHat do you own?
    Window units vary in size . You really need to see the nameplate for more info .

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I ran one of these during last hurricane for a fridge, couple lamps, fan, and window unit with no problem. Still have it and starts on first pull.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.png
      IMG_1338.png
      804 KB · Views: 88

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    What kind depends on your setup. I have a larger piece of property and a sub panel out near my pool. Pool wasnt there yet was wired in preperation for it. Was able to backfeed my house from there and the regular old open frame couldnt be heard. I ran 12k btu ac, 2 sbs rrfridgerators, cieling fan, lights as needed and tv with no issue and decent fuel economy with a 6500. I did shut down the bigger items a couple of times and turned on 50gallon water heater to warm for showers. Had to take modest showers but it worked out well. If you have to place it closer to the house id say look more into a inverter but price per watt goes up significantly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230802_232242_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230802_232242_Gallery.jpg
      696 KB · Views: 71

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I use a standard 8500/6500 with the Briggs OHV engine that has seen 4 outages over 14 years lasting 4 to 14 days each. I use the heavy extension/splitter cables that came with it. That gets the feed into the kitchen window. From there I use heavy contractor cords. One 75 ft to the rear of the house for a 8000 btu window unit, a fan and up to 3 lamps. One 25 ft to the front for the fridge, a 6000 btu, couple of lamps and our hurricane TV and hurricane microwave. I also use the heavy gauge multi outlet splitters. No issues to date.
    Use the heaviest shortest cords you can to prevent pulling big amps to the bigger loads. Scale down appliances when possible. LED lights over incandescent. If using something browns out the power or puts a big strain on the generator (which you’ll hear), turn something else (big appliance) off.
    The first time we used ours we found the limits. The microwave we had was too big and we had to unplug the fridge or a window unit to cook with it, so we bought a smaller one, 700 watts I think. Also a 28” flat screen that barely pulls any power. Most storm generators will run more than you need if you’re smart about it.
    Stabil in the fuel and crank and run your unit for 20 minutes every couple of weeks if you want it to last as long as mine has. I also change the oil at least once during any extended run. I changed it twice after Ida during the 2 weeks we were down and it was running about 20 hours a day. I also run a box fan directly on the generator to help with cooling.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I have a 5500 wat running generator that I hooked up thru my dryer 220 plug and backfeed my house. I ran everything from microwave, 2 big refrigerator's , ceiling fans in every room and 2 window units. I looked up the running watts on each item and was surprised that I could run everything pretty easily if I was careful. Just use your head and a little math and you should be ok.

Just last weekend I had my electrician buddy wire up a external plug to tie in my generator the the main box so no more disconnecting the dryer. Put it on the back corner of the house to keep generator as far away as possible.

Attachments

• watts.jpg
      watts.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 60

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    All sound advice..
    I also would suggest looking at the way the fuel take is arranged..
    I know of at least two occasions, where the metal tank sat on top of the motor , and during running , the rubber grommet inside of the tank was rotten enough to allow the fuel line to fall out, and fuel dumped onto the hot motor and caused them to lose the entire home and all contents..
    As a maintenance item, look at the petcock and fuel line, filter..

The oil filter and pressurized oil systems are important.. I know bow fisherman who run the harbor freight generators that are also inverter types with success. I also know one of who runs a brigs inverter with thousands of hours on it,.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Whatever you do please do not backfeed.
    Please get a real transfer switch.
    Even the cheap ones that you run a cord to, all they do is safely hook the power up outside. They switch the main off and power from the gen on safety. No open windows doors etc.
    I for years (1992) had a generator that just covered all my needs, but upgraded.
    Now instead of pushing it i have 3 time's my needs. It is more quiet and runs at 22% to 30%.
    And even when run on gas uses less fuels (half) to do same job.

Woody38spl.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2022
    Luling
    If u going as big as 8000 u might as well go 1200 not much more money. Not when I got mine. And u can find them used. I got a pull start from tracker supply years ago that was cheap and it did go. Champion. I have smaller one to use with camper but one on wheels with elect start is 12000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Sulphur
    Thats only a danger if you run it indoors right?
    WRONG....I have a standby generator 6 foot away from my house, a tree dropped on my house by the generator knocking out the window and putting hole's in the roof, there was enough CO gas in my house to set off the CO detector"s, it got in thur the window, holes in roof and vent"s in the soffet which was every two feet. If i had a chance to install generator from the start i would put it 20 yards out in the yard. Had it not been for the CO detector"s i may have killed my family.

WeldonHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Weldon, LA
    Whatever you decide, don't forget to buy a carbon monoxide detector. We read stories every hurricane season about deaths that could've been prevented for less than $20.00
    Thats only a danger if you run it indoors right?
    If they're too close to the house the carbon monoxide can start building up indoors.
    Exactly. At my mother's place we have a cutout panel next to the main breaker box off of the laundry room outside where we hook her generator up. The first time we hooked the generator up and ran it, it set off the Carbon Monoxide detector in the laundry room with all the doors and windows shut and the exhaust pointing away from the house. We figured out the old drier vent that wasn't being used is where it was coming in with the help of a breeze blowing it back to the house. Carbon Monoxide can make it's way in the house even with all the doors and windows shut.

Top Bottom