Generator question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you cut a seal and pull the meter , the power company is not going to be happy . And they will require an inspection from the city before reconnecting you .
    Technically yes BUT over the years I’ve pulled many meters to backfeed houses during storms and was questioned on the tag being cut once, I flat out told them I pulled the meter during the storm so I could hook a generator to my house they understood and had no issue with it (not saying that’s the norm) the other times a tag just ended up back on months later with no questions asked.

My old house didn’t have an outside disconnect only a main breaker on the inside load center, so on that house I would pull the meter and turn off the inside main before backfeeding the dryer plug (the main is disconnected at 2 points).

My new house has a outside disconnect and a inside main so on this house I turn off the outside disconnect/lock it out AND turn off the inside main before backfeeding the dryer plug (the main is still disconnected at 2 points without having to pull the meter).

Is the above ideal? NO

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    There is no problem running a generator for your house if you are smart about it. That is why I have a 200amp transfer swtich wired to my mains power line. Once I throw that switch it disconnects the main line and it then feeds off a marine rated sealed plug on the side of the box which is where I plug in the 100amp rated cord for the generator and it then runs my whole house minus the central AC units from the normal outlets and breaker box. Perfectly safe.

Top Bottom