Generator question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Still looking but leaning towards a Wen generator. I currently have a Predator 2000 but its very limited a second one run in paralel may also be the ticket

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If you want to run Dual fuel generators you can get one from Costco for about $800 it's a 7500 running amp unit but be aware that when you run on anything other than gas the wattage goes down a little bit.

I run my gennie on our front porch where the exhaust points out away from the house. It sits at a corner where there is always a cross breeze that takes the exhaust away from the house but I also have CO detectors in the house.

The way my house is setup is that I have a manual transfer switch wired up it is a 200amp capable switch. It has a covered 60A plug wired into the side. When the power goes out I have the bare minimum necessary breakers marked in my panel. So I turn off all breakers that are not necessary and then I put the gennie on the porch and get it running. I go to the transfer switch and flip it to run off the outlet. I plug the cord into the outlet and then take that cord to the gennie and plug it in. this allows me to run the gennie into the house using the existing wiring so that I don't have to run cords in windows. All in all it takes about 10 - 20 minutes to switch over.

I also have a fuel transfer pump that fits in a 5 gallon can so that I now don't even have to lift the can up onto the generator to fill it up. Also works great for the lawnmower and the cars also to get rid of the gas after hurricane season is over.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    How many gallons of gas do you store ?
    I don’t even try to store gas. I have amassed 14 five gallon gas cans that I run and fill a day ahead of potential storms. I line them up in the bed of my truck and get after it. If the power stays on, I use it up that month in our vehicles. 70 gallons can get used pretty quick in our cars.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I have about 10 cans that I use during hurricane season. I also use the cans to run my zero turn so as I fill up the zero turn I take the empties and refill this way gas really never gets stale but I stay at 10 cans full at any given time. When season is over if I am still cutting yard then it gets used and not filled if not mowing then it goes in vehicles until its gone.

10 is usually enough for the gas stations around me to start getting gas back in and being able to fill up on the regular. I normally only run it off and on during the day and at night. We have a propane stove so we can still cook or we bbq.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I have about 10 cans that I use during hurricane season. I also use the cans to run my zero turn so as I fill up the zero turn I take the empties and refill this way gas really never gets stale but I stay at 10 cans full at any given time. When season is over if I am still cutting yard then it gets used and not filled if not mowing then it goes in vehicles until its gone.

10 is usually enough for the gas stations around me to start getting gas back in and being able to fill up on the regular. I normally only run it off and on during the day and at night. We have a propane stove so we can still cook or we bbq.
    Guess i need to buy more gas cans. Are those jerry cans from Habor frieght any good?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Guess i need to buy more gas cans. Are those jerry cans from Habor frieght any good?
    Summit Racing " Race Gas Cans " Also Amazon and eBay.
    Edit) Wow looks like they went up, on Amazon.100 bucks for 3 cans. Summit is 30 bucks for Race Fuel Jugs. I guess everything went up I bought VP brand last time. Ida we ran low on gas and ran a small barrel of VP110 with lead in the gen. but saved tons of food in the fridge , and meat in freezer.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    For fuel cans i tried the vp cans and they were to awkward to hold. Got rid of them. Bought several midwest cans which were $14 at the time and ordered several spouts. I have 5 cans now without the government nozzles. I also have a commercial mower that holds 11 gallons of fuel so i fill those tanks, utv holds 10 or 12 that i fill and fill the generator then refill the cans. I have a $20 battery fuel transfer pump to suck the mower and utv out if i need to get to those 20plus gallons.

Amazon product ASIN B0BP1SSQT6

Amazon product ASIN B0936H75HD

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822_220122_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230822_220122_Gallery.jpg
      203.8 KB · Views: 45

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I buy my cans at Costco they seem to have the cheapest prices around. Also get a fuel transfer pump that fits in the cans you can find them on sale at Harbor Freight or Amazon. They are the best thing since sliced bread. I put the can on the ground put in the transfer pump and then wait for it to be done. You can get the last little bit out by pouring but it is usually not a lot. I also take the batteries out of mine when I am not using it so they don't corrode in the holder.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Tractor Supply has the best price on "multi use fluid containers" at like $25 with the hose, similar to VP and others but half the price. Harbor Freight transfer pumps are $12, don't expect it to last forever but for $12 who cares.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I keep a 55 Gal drum with about 30-40 gal during Hurricane season.
    I fill it 15-20 gal at a time with 5 gal jugs with NON-Ethanol and add Blue Stabil. We have lots of other small engines (dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, mowers, etc) that we use this fuel for.
    Pump it out with a 55 Gal drum hand pump.
    It is WAY more convenient than having lots of 5 gal jugs around.
    Once every couple years I'll swap out the drum for a new one to reduce issues with rust/moisture.
    We get drums at work, if anyone wants one PM me.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    I was hoping this thread would expire soon. I really didn't want to respond, but since it hasn't, I needed to say that if you can store your gas safely like a farmer would for his tractors, than I am fine with all of this.

However, if you have a bunch of full gas cans sitting around in your garage, you make me and my fireman son very afraid for you. I went through all of that because I could not afford a stationary generator, until I could. My son kept after me about the cans of fuel. We got to the point of a choice between a cruise to Alaska with our friends, or the installation of a whole house generator. The generator won out, though I will never hear the end of it as long as I live.

It helped me that it ran without a hitch for almost five days during hurricane Ida, with a house full of people. Other than the sound of the generator, we didn't skip a beat. It ran everything. The microwave, hot water heater, AC, oven, TV etc. and anything else without a miss. I am less in the dog house because of that.

There are older threads here regarding stationary generators for information. In my mind, the only justification for not having a stationary generator would be the cost. Any other rigged up idea is dangerous and not worth it.

I do think the suggestions found on this thread are very helpful for someone who cannot afford a stationary generator, so I am not criticizing the thread's intent.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I was hoping this thread would expire soon. I really didn't want to respond, but since it hasn't, I needed to say that if you can store your gas safely like a farmer would for his tractors, than I am fine with all of this.

However, if you have a bunch of full gas cans sitting around in your garage, you make me and my fireman son very afraid for you. I went through all of that because I could not afford a stationary generator, until I could. My son kept after me about the cans of fuel. We got to the point of a choice between a cruise to Alaska with our friends, or the installation of a whole house generator. The generator won out, though I will never hear the end of it as long as I live.

It helped me that it ran without a hitch for almost five days during hurricane Ida, with a house full of people. Other than the sound of the generator, we didn't skip a beat. It ran everything. The microwave, hot water heater, AC, oven, TV etc. and anything else without a miss. I am less in the dog house because of that.

There are older threads here regarding stationary generators for information. In my mind, the only justification for not having a stationary generator would be the cost. Any other rigged up idea is dangerous and not worth it.

I do think the suggestions found on this thread are very helpful for someone who cannot afford a stationary generator, so I am not criticizing the thread's intent.
    I Plan on keeping 10 gallons on hand because the thought of 100gallons in temporary containers is a bit unnerving. There is a boat landing nearby thet will allow locals to fill up during power outages.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Tractor Supply has the best price on "multi use fluid containers" at like $25 with the hose, similar to VP and others but half the price. Harbor Freight transfer pumps are $12, don't expect it to last forever but for $12 who cares.
    The Tractor Supply Utility Cans are actually made by VP and are a great deal.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA

Why exactly is storing gas in designated fuel cans such a concern? Truely interested in the response. I dont normally keep more than 15-20 gallons on hand but i burn it up pretty quick as well with all the grass i cut and utv use hunting season and preppingfor hunting season. For a handul of days all my cans are filled when there is a hurricane close.

For reference though. All the farmers i know that store fuel are storing diesel. None of that equipment runs on gas. Also affordable large gasoline storage tanks arent readily available. There are very few people who even make truck bed tanks for gasoline.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Regarding whole house generators, I know of a couple people who had issues with lack of natural gas pressure to run their system. It has been enough of a problem that a few other I know that were considering them have gone another direction with fuel.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Regarding whole house generators, I know of a couple people who had issues with lack of natural gas pressure to run their system. It has been enough of a problem that a few other I know that were considering them have gone another direction with fuel.
    My brother has a whole generator runs on propane. Natural gas would be cutoff in times of hurricanes right?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    My brother has a whole generator runs on propane. Natural gas would be cutoff in times of hurricanes right?
    No ng doesnt get cutoff during a storm unless something managed to damage the line. My parents have ng appliances and they work fine but arent high demand appliances. however everyone i know that lives in walker , denham and hammond that has a standby had loping issues during ida due to pressure issues with the ng line. Have 2 friends in seperate neighborhoods who said quite a few peoples caught fire. One of said friends housing vents melted so no telling how close he was to his burning up when found. There are liquid cooled units that improve the heat issue but they cost even more. They are expensive and can be finnicky when ran much. Especially if not shutdown properly. Ill stick with a portable.

The only non portable i would consider would be a larger diesel unit and id probably mount it to a trailer and keep it portable. Diesel has a better shltorage life, i have a diesel truck and tractor so i wojld have no issues rotating through the fuel etc. That is my goal but diesel units are higher than the standbys

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My natural gas stayed on when power was hot water heater made water right for hot showers, stobe top and oven for backing. Power from the small.gen even turned the washer, dryer. Gas heated element, 2 fridges one freezer, all.the light's and TV Microwave. It was a while house. Someone stole ot. Had to.run.my old Briggs and Stratton 8hp cast iron i bought new in.1992.
    I ran it hard but changed oil. Started to get a rod knock and bam a rod hanging out the side of the block. Thinking of buying a new motor and keep.the little on as backup or loan it out to someone in.need.
    [ we replaced the stolen one with one like it but did not hook it to NG yet but will. For t9me being have tranfur switch hooked up. A dedicated Building for it. With vents with fans that pull air in. And other side has vents and fans to pull air out. Has low oil shut down as well.as CO detector built in. So were are dispersing the exhaust and cooling it as well. Going to have a buddy in the biz run NG so we can run duel fuel.
    I change oil, filter once per year. Have extra oil - filter- spark plugs berrymans B-12 and air filters. I run it evey 2 weeks for maintenance and leave the battery on a tender.
    When i buy Hurracane gas i pour Stabil in my metal VP Racing drums and fill drum. Stabil mixes when filled. But still roll around some to.make sure. Gas last in a sealed metal drum teated. And i have a transfer pump. So easy to fill stuff. One storm had to use my cars fuel, VP110 with lead in the gen. I bet its 12 bucks a gallon now. So natural Gas would have been great. Start it up on gas and switch over to Natural Gas.
    My buddy is licensed to do gas and would file it so no funny biz later

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I feel the whole house generators are nice but I just run 2 smaller generators (2 is 1 and 1 is none)….. If I ever did the whole house generator I would still have a portable generator and gas on hand.

In the day I run a Honda 2200 runs refrigerator, every ceiling fan in the house, every light in my house is LED so we can flip lights on and off as needed and then we can run microwave OR coffee pot one at a time.
    At night we run a Echo 3500 and run everything above plus a window unit.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom