Glock - Tried it, Didn't Like it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I am in Richmond this week on a project and got bored, so I went to the local range. :)

http://www.dominionshootingrange.com/

They had well over 100 guns to try:

25exzgqjdgr5wwnyfqu1.jpg

I normally carry a full size Colt 1911, but have been seeing a lot of posts here and on other boards asking what is the most popular CCW weapon, and the G19 comes up a lot, so I rented one of these. I have always wanted to try a Hi-Power, so I rented one of these as well. The HP fit my hand really well, the trigger was very similar to the 1911, and I put 50 rounds on paper at 10 yards. Almost all were within the 8 - 10 ring, and it was a lot of fun :D

Then I put another 50 downrange with the G19. The gun did not feel comfortable in my hand, and the trigger was uncomfortable as well. I just couldn't develop a feel for when it was going to fire. The rounds were all over the paper with less than 10 in the 8 - 10 rings. Not fun :(

Maybe this was a bad weapon, or just the wrong model for me, but if it is typical of Glocks, I just couldn't see owning one for self defense. I will be looking into obtaining a HP.

Just my .02

I'm willing to bet it was you and not the Glock. They are awkward going from a 1911... it's like anything else though.... you got to spend some time with them to learn to shoot them.

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I love my 1911's and carry a Springer EMP in 9mm 99.9% of the time. I would say I'm some what in the same boat as a lot of people, I have a love/hate for the Glocks.
    I hate the way a Glock feels in my hand (specially the large frame Glocks) but I am able to shot them very well. I don't know how or why but I just do.

I don't have to much problem switching between Glock and a 1911. I guess with shooting both at Nicks (Sunday Matches) and at Shooters Club (fun and GSSF Matches), I have guess I have become a custom to switching between the to (Muscle Memory)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm not a glock fan either. I've shot several and they're ok, but not anything to get excited about. They go bang every time but I don't like the feel.

I have a shield also. I like it, for what it is. I don't mind striker fired. I don't like the glock trigger.

My 1911 is my first choice.

Have you tried a Glock with an enhanced trigger?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I bought a gen 4 model 19. Shot about 200 rounds and sold it. Didn't like the trigger. After shooting the Glock, I would switch to my 1911 and shoot it worse. Wasn't going to shoot it enough to get used to the trigger.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have worked on more than 200 Glocks and I would not call any of the Glock owners silly. YMMV

Cool story bro, but I'm a Glock (only) owner, and telling someone to buy a new gun and put a new trigger in it is silly.

Even as a Glock fanboy, I agree that the "Glock Perfection" statement is also silly as it's not perfect for everyone. However, telling someone to buy a firearm and change out one of the key components is a joke. If you're going to suggest that, tell them to buy a LE Trade In for a couple hundred bucks and then tinker with it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Cool story bro, but I'm a Glock (only) owner, and telling someone to buy a new gun and put a new trigger in it is silly.

Even as a Glock fanboy, I agree that the "Glock Perfection" statement is also silly as it's not perfect for everyone. However, telling someone to buy a firearm and change out one of the key components is a joke. If you're going to suggest that, tell them to buy a LE Trade In for a couple hundred bucks and then tinker with it.

I never made the suggestion You Dreamed Up! I provide a service for Competition/Range Pistols when requested and most of it has been "Pro Bono". Again, YMMV

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That's a good idea. What would a barrel and trigger cost?

A new barrel would be anywhere between $50-300 depending on what you want, and if you went Used/New & OEM/Aftermarket. S3F, ZEV, Lonewolf, KKM, and Storm Lake all make good barrels. The trigger is up to you, some people like keeping the stock trigger and messing with springs. Other folks like complete drop-in triggers, such as: Deus Ex Machina, Suarez, Agency, ZEV, etc.

Edit - Just looked them up, since I hadn't in a while, but Lone Wolf has conversion barrels for $100. If you're lucky enough to find a 9mm LE Trade In then you wouldn't even need the new barrel.

I never made the suggestion You Dreamed Up! I provide a service for Competition/Range Pistols when requested and most of it has been "Pro Bono". Again, YMMV

You get so upset sometimes :rofl:

Last edited:

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I am basically a Glock person but I will ask you to try a HK VP9.

I agree with JBP.
    The Glock doesn't fit my hand in what I consider a natural position, they just don't naturally point right for me when I pick them up. It is just an ergonomic thing for me. It's not that I cannot shoot them well.
    I too find that 1911's and the HK polymer pistols have a better fit for my hand and point more naturally for me.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I seem to be in the opposite situation than most here.
    By the time I turned 21, I had shot a wide variety of different hand guns, but I didn't really love any of them.
    The day before my 21st birthday I went to Jim's and put every handgun they had in my hand, the mid sized Glock (G19) felt best in my hand. Next day I went to Academy and bought a G19. Shot the pistol as much as I could afford for the first few years.
    Now a decade later, I still love the mid sized Glock, but I've found there are other handguns out there that I like to shoot A LOT more than the Glocks.
    My problem is I've trained myself on the Glock grip angle, and now I would have to retrain on a different platform to get the same level of confidence to carry it and be able to get off a quick and accurate shot from out the holster, if I ever had to.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    As long as the guns runs (all the time) and you handle it well, the rest is really just window dressing. I'd rather be in a fight with a partner using a j frame .38 and runs it like a pro, than a guy with any polymer 20 rounder sporting a red dot who only puts a box of ammo per year through it.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I get the "feel" thing. I love the idea of a Glock, , the design, the durability, love the prices, I'm even eligible for the Blue Label, but every time I shoot a Glock I have problems with my finger position with relation to the trigger. When I grip and pull back, my finger appears to pull downward rather than straight back. The inside (bottom) edge of my trigger finger drags on the trigger guard, and it hurts slightly. Just can't get over it. Have no problems with a 1911 (have 2), a Sig p226, a Beretta 92F, S&W revolvers, etc., just the Glock. To me the Sig feels the best and seems to produce the best groups.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    I get the "feel" thing. I love the idea of a Glock, , the design, the durability, love the prices, I'm even eligible for the Blue Label, but every time I shoot a Glock I have problems with my finger position with relation to the trigger. When I grip and pull back, my finger appears to pull downward rather than straight back. The inside (bottom) edge of my trigger finger drags on the trigger guard, and it hurts slightly. Just can't get over it. Have no problems with a 1911 (have 2), a Sig p226, a Beretta 92F, S&W revolvers, etc., just the Glock. To me the Sig feels the best and seems to produce the best groups.

Yep, same way they fit in my hand too.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA

The 92F was already rented. I have to come back in a few weeks, so I plan to try the 92F, the P226, the HK, and maybe a G34. Its a lot cheaper to try before you buy then buying something that you hate and have to sell it later. I priced HPs and just wow! Considering one of the surplus FN Belgian models and reworking the finish. They are going for about $439 right now.

Top Bottom