going to a gun fight with empty gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I don't like your tone: I can't tell if you are a troll or being humorous? You get an average of two seconds to IFF in a gun fight, there is no reason why you cannot carry an AR chambered with the safety on. We did it that way in the military, in vehicles no less. It's just as daft as carrying a pistol or revolver with no cartridges in the chamber/cyl while on duty. No reason to not chamber a round whatsoever on duty. A good deal of gun fights exist on video and fumbling to chamber a round has probably killed many a soul. And speaking form experience, everything is harder when you believe your life is in peril. You truly fall back on your training.

Respectfully, your perception of my comment is as flawed as your logic pertaining to LEOs and patrol rifles. Read Perez's comment above, and Motor51's last input above. LA26 has also provided some really solid input on this topic in the thread, he is a LE Instructor.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I have one for my 870. Vang had some ready to go barrels already back-bored with his choke system, with rifle sights for $165. I bought one along with extended mag with breaching stand-off device for SRT. It keeps all the 00 pellets in the 2 point zone even at 25 yards. Vang is the master when it comes to perfecting the shotgun. Top quality items for the combat shotgun.
    I have a question for you about storing an AR cruiser ready IE bolt forward, no round chambered, full magazine inserted.

Have you ever come across an instance where the oil/lubricant from the gun negatively affects the ammo? I used to only use ballistol on all of my guns but about maybe a year ago I switched the lube on my AR’s to m pro 7 for a couple and ewl slip 2000 for the rest. I notice whenever I take the gun out to wipe it down or move it I’ll have some oil in the mag well and bottom of the bolt. Have you ever come across an instance where leaving it to long caused the ammo not to work or something similar?

Awhile back I did some testing with ballistol. I basically soaked some 9mm hst and fmj, .45 hst and fmj, and various different 223/5.56. I put ballistol all over the ammo and put them in a ziplock. For good measure I poured some more ballistol into the bag and stored it for 6 months. 6 months later every round fired and although I didn’t have a chronograph to measure velocity they didn’t seem to lose any power. The only thing I noticed was the brass cases and copper jackets turned colors as well as the paint from the handful of m855 I used came off. Other than that everything looked fine. I went overboard to attempt to simulate a worst case scenario where maybe I accidentally use to much lube or spilled some in the gun and didn’t notice it before storing.

Last edited:

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    No. I use SLIP 2000 which seems to stay where I apply it, and not migrate. After cleaning the rifle, I apply the SLIP to the lube points, then work the CH a couple times to help distribute the lube. I then remove the bolt carrier and wipe it down to remove any excess lube, but leave the four rails on the BC lightly lubricated. I make sure no lube is on the underside of the bolt carrier that would come in contact with the top round of the magazine. A little TW25b on the nose/face of the hammer that contacts the bolt carrier is about all that I do in that area of the BC.
    Routine inspection by simply removing the mag and visually checking the top round in the mag will show if any oil has made it to that point. If all doesn't look well, I remove that round and replace it with a fresh new one. Also, on a side note, I never chamber a rifle round twice when I deploy the rifle for serious stuff. If I chamber a round to deploy the rifle, when I return to the vehicle to make safe, I remove the chambered round and put it on the side for sighting or training purposes. I have a box of fresh rounds that I use to top off the mag with a new round. As you know when you chamber a round with the AR, you get a dimple in the primer from the free floating firing pin. I don't wish to keep chambering the same round every time. Might lead to something ugly happening, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It’s because what your are trying to rationalize isn’t reality. All of your scenarios are unrealistic when it comes to the patrol rifle. Those patrol rifles are locked in gunlocks. There is no way that I’m fumbling with a gunlock button etc when I’m taking rounds. The patrol rifle comes out when you get on scene and need it or it’s made ready to go before you get to the scene if the call dictates the probability of needing a patrol rifle. Riding around with a round in the chamber doesn’t matter because if you are trying to get it unlocked when you are getting shot at then you are already dead.

PS- Gone are the days of riding around with it unsecured on the passenger seat etc, police units are broken into all the time nowadays just for the weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So this guy just said poo poo to making the gun ready when he grabbed it. Brain fart, I’m just gonna run to the fight, I’m late, adrenaline, etc. I get it.

Top Bottom