Good gunsmith for precision rifles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clayduster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2023
    Houma
    Looking for a good smith (in/near Terrebonne Parish) that can do a good job chambering and threading on a new barrel. Ideally this person builds benchrest rifles etc.

Thanks!

M.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Of course in Houma, Ed Delorge can do what you are asking for very easily. He does everything but his main claim to fame is engraving. He has built some awesome shooting rifles for people I know with bench rest actions and set triggers. He has done a wide range of work for me over the years always with great results. He does work on his own time table, but he can literally do anything-solve unique problems or even machine parts for guns that are no longer in production with parts unavailable. He can do what you need easily, but he does not focus his business on it.

You may also want to reach out to Arrowbee Precision in Thibodaux. I believe he is a member here. I have no personal experience with him but his business is more aligned with what you are looking for.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Shawn Broussard
    Titan Precision out of Iota
    IMG_2435.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Ed Delorge built me a .300 Wby Magnum. He also designed his own muzzle brake that made the rifle shoot like a .243.

edited to add: Not a removable brake, but was machined into the end of the barrel.

Last edited:

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I’d like to see a couple of pics of that brake
    Unfortunately, the rifle has since left my possession. I sold it a while back, and purchased a Weatherby FiberMark in .340 Wby. Since my primary hunting concern is elk, I upped the horsepower a little moving from the .300 Wby to the .340 Wby. The brake was radial design, not actually a removable brake, but was machined into the last two inches of the barrel. First time I had seen anything like it, but it reminded me of the Mag-Na-Port system, but I had that done to a .270 and didn't find it very effective. Ed's system was very effective and seems like most radial brakes are now similar in design, except they are removable. This one was not.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Unfortunately, the rifle has since left my possession. I sold it a while back, and purchased a Weatherby FiberMark in .340 Wby. Since my primary hunting concern is elk, I upped the horsepower a little moving from the .300 Wby to the .340 Wby. The brake was radial design, not actually a removable brake, but was machined into the last two inches of the barrel. First time I had seen anything like it, but it reminded me of the Mag-Na-Port system, but I had that done to a .270 and didn't find it very effective. Ed's system was very effective and seems like most radial brakes are now similar in design, except they are removable. This one was not.
    The most effective brakes I have seen are the cowl induction like the Alamo 4 star. Looks like TRYBE defense has gotten into the game along with MPA in introducing cowl induction brakes since Alamo was bought out. Only brakes I have bought lately is the thunderbeast CB brakes that thread into a can. Once you get spoiled to a suppressor, it’s hard to shoot without one.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Ed Delorge built me a .300 Wby Magnum. He also designed his own muzzle brake that made the rifle shoot like a .243.

edited to add: Not a removable brake, but was machined into the end of the barrel.
    Forgot about this but he did one for me too for a .257 Wby Magnum. Loud but soft shooting.

Top Bottom