Gun limit??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjh

hello???
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 25, 2007
    Covington, La
    Is there a Limit of firearms I can buy in 1 day as 1 person. Im looking to get a revolver for my wife and a semi auto and shotgun for myself would this be a problem?

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Is there a Limit of firearms I can buy in 1 day as 1 person. Im looking to get a revolver for my wife and a semi auto and shotgun for myself would this be a problem?
    There will be no problem in Louisiana. There is also no waiting period.

But there are some states that do have restrictions that say you can only buy one firearm every 30 days; which is ********.

:)

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    No restrictions:confused: Try to buy 5 handguns at once and tell me if you come home with all of them that day;)
    The answer would be, "Yes."

Unless you have actual experience with being denied when buying multiple handguns in Louisiana.

:)

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    IIRC, well at least two years ago, a certain number of handguns flags you on the NCIS background check. I know because I tried to buy three and the dude at the gun store pitched a fit! So instead, I purchased two at the counter, then came back the next day and purchased another one.:D

ETA: Oddly, I had no problems with multiple AR-15 receivers from the same place..

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    No restrictions:confused: Try to buy 5 handguns at once and tell me if you come home with all of them that day;)

I have bought 4 hand guns and 1 rifle and 1 shotgun all at the same time and was cleared to take them with me right then and there.

Now.....I have bought two lower AR receivers one day and then went back to buy other firearms the next day and was delayed but they called me later that evening and said they got the call back and I was okay to come and get them. It was only a few hour delay.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    FWIW,I spoke with a friend who has had his FFL for about 20 years, and he told me that "technically", even when doing FTF sells between two individuals, the 3in 30 applies. If you sell or buy more than 3 guns in a 30 day period, it is "supposed" to go through an FFL.

Now how the ATF would ever know is beyond me, but he and I were talking about him carrying my business as an alternate location on his FFL, so he was running through some of the obscure rules that gets people in trouble. if this deal works out, I will be doing very cheap transfers in the NOLA area. He is kinda mentoring me in the FFL world before I drive straight in.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    FWIW,I spoke with a friend who has had his FFL for about 20 years, and he told me that "technically", even when doing FTF sells between two individuals, the 3in 30 applies. If you sell or buy more than 3 guns in a 30 day period, it is "supposed" to go through an FFL.

Now how the ATF would ever know is beyond me, but he and I were talking about him carrying my business as an alternate location on his FFL, so he was running through some of the obscure rules that gets people in trouble. if this deal works out, I will be doing very cheap transfers in the NOLA area. He is kinda mentoring me in the FFL world before I drive straight in.

Two or more at once only requires an additional form, stock up. I need to replace the ones I lost in the boating accident.
    NOLA, I disagree with your FFL friend.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Two or more at once only requires an additional form, stock up. I need to replace the ones I lost in the boating accident.
    NOLA, I disagree with your FFL friend.

I am not sure myself. i have the packet but have not read it yet. He said three or more is considered a commercial transaction by the ATF and requires a 4473.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Multiple handgun purchases merely requires an additional form. If your dealer wouldn't do it for you, it was because he was lazy.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You guys are talking about the NICS check.

What you may not know is, a dealer is REQUIRED BY REGULATION to report you, on a separate form, if you buy more than one handgun in a five-working-day period. This information goes straight to the ATF; IOW, it isn't held by the dealer like the 4473 info is.

Anyone out there think this info isn't put in a special place????

That is the additional form I was referring to. Quite a few on me in my 40+ years of buying firearms. They may have an asterisk* by my Name/Number.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I think 3 in a week(handguns) will trip the flag.

Its two handguns within 3 days is the rule now I believe. Its just an extra form the FFL fills out and you don't have to do anything different and you don't have to wait unless you are flagged for something.

I got flagged today for picking one up after I picked one up on Tuesday. They didn't even ask me to wait while they were filling out the multiple handgun form.

Its happen to me at least 3-4 times in the past 6 months and never a big deal.

The most I have done at any one time is 6 firearm purchase and 2 were handguns. The 4473 only had 5 spots so they filled the serial number in on a 2nd 4473 and stapled it to the back.

Not sure if that is correct or not but at least what my FFL does.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I wouldn't buy any. Theyb are dangerous to have around the home as guns kill people. I don't know how an inanimate object can do that but I hear on tv all the time that guns kill people.

Top Bottom