Ham Radio info??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Well ice and cold kept UPS away today... No FTM-400xdr for me.

I was going to order the FT3d to upgrade my HT, but I think I will get a IC-718 instead. I have a RTLplay sdr on the way and want to pair it with that for computer control with a waterfall.

What you guys think?

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    Soon radios will be like ammo.

And along that logic, I'm wondering if they'll eventually be cause for that "special knock on the door". I might have once owned a Wouxun KG-UV3D and built my own version of a Kenwood mobile 2 meter "Hammo-Can". A well known local ham op programmed the HT so I can listen, have yet (going on half a decade now) to get my tech ticket bc I have this notion that the one reliable method of comms could magically become the property of another at the stroke of a pen. No tinfoil here -just a casual observer watching things getting weirder and weirder. What say ye?

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    And along that logic, I'm wondering if they'll eventually be cause for that "special knock on the door". I might have once owned a Wouxun KG-UV3D and built my own version of a Kenwood mobile 2 meter "Hammo-Can". A well known local ham op programmed the HT so I can listen, have yet (going on half a decade now) to get my tech ticket bc I have this notion that the one reliable method of comms could magically become the property of another at the stroke of a pen. No tinfoil here -just a casual observer watching things getting weirder and weirder. What say ye?

I say you need a couple more layers of tin foil

marinetaco01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    Well ice and cold kept UPS away today... No FTM-400xdr for me.

I was going to order the FT3d to upgrade my HT, but I think I will get a IC-718 instead. I have a RTLplay sdr on the way and want to pair it with that for computer control with a waterfall.

What you guys think?

Got my ticket at the end of January and ordered a FT3D last week. I wanted a HT that I could take in the woods/use mobile/ use at home. Plus I wanted to play with APRS and wiresx so that lead me to my purchase. It was supposed to be delivered on Mardi Gras but its lost in UPS land.

For a hobby that was supposed to be cheap, this sure is turning into another money pit pretty quick. I've got the want for a VX 8DR next.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Buy once, cry once. I keep telling myself that anyway.

I did finally receive my ftm400xdr, still waiting on some key components to come in. Along with a ic-718. Says its all scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Should look like a shipping company trade show.

Been trying to learn the sdrplay sdr and sdr uno. Looks very promising.

Trying to figure out what to use for a antenna mast that I can get local. A fence rail has been suggested but I dont have a way to get something like that to the shack. I can get about 10 ft off the ground using a satellite mast mount thing. Its a 4ft comet gp1.

Last edited:

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I say you need a couple more layers of tin foil

I got my hf stuff in, got it hooked up last night. Been monitoring that repeater you use but no traffic. I can hit it though. HF wise I havent made a contact on the small sliver a tech ticket can use. listening on 28.4 . Picking up alot of other things, pretty cool. I might need a better antenna though.

Snow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Download an app called “HAM test prep”. This apps will give you the test questions to study and you can take practice test.

There is a local ham radio club that gives test once every two months. They are having a testing on this Saturday. The link to the website is below.

http://www.k5sar.com/index.html

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Yes sir, I used hamradioprep.com to study for the tech, havent hit the books for the general license yet. I took my test out in springfield.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I got my hf stuff in, got it hooked up last night. Been monitoring that repeater you use but no traffic. I can hit it though. HF wise I havent made a contact on the small sliver a tech ticket can use. listening on 28.4 . Picking up alot of other things, pretty cool. I might need a better antenna though.

Get on the repeater below at 8pm tonight Wed. That is the MissLou club repeater we have the net at 8pm all ham are welcome to check in. You do not have to be a club member to check in or just to talk on it. I'll be on the road I'll check in mobile.

Downlink: 146.83500
    Uplink: 146.23500
    Offset: -0.6 MHz
    Uplink Tone: 114.8

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Congrats on passing the General Class and also congrats on attempting the Extra Class ticket. Which gave you a taste of what to expect. ..Now since you have been in the study mode do not stop but keep after the studying and get after that Extra Ticket. And yes I know that I need to get off my backside and start studying again for the Extra ticket Because of the study guides and sample testing available today makes it a lot easier than when I got my 1st ticket . ................................ de..KL7JIU..aka.. drill sgt.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    swampfoxx Congratulations on your upgrade. I was kind of in your area today and yesterday. Had to go to Slidell both days from the BR area. Had to talk to ole drill Sgt on the radio

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I use this:

https://hamexam.org/

I usually start by going through the Question Pool and checking Highlight Answers to get them burned into my head. Then I use the Flash Cards for several hours, then take the practice test. You can take the test as many times as you want and it is different every time. I also use this:

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

If you sign in, it will keep track of what you miss and recommend areas of study.

My question is, where do I go next? Base? Mobile? Single band radio? Dual band? Tri band? Recommendations are appreciated.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Sweet! If you know anyone else wants a nib 718 let me know! Also interested to know what antenna you go with. Im running a 135ft end fed.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    I just snagged an IC-718. I’m trying to come up with a low profile HOA proof antenna. This should be fun.
    ^^^^^^ Research your HOA deed restrictions carefully for actual loopholes.. Ours had No restrictions on external anteannas . Example:: In July 2006 bought into a HOA after much research and 2 weeks after actually moving in a multi-band HF ground vertical was installed in back yard but without coax feedline connected. Also had a homemade multi-band HF OCF wire (inverted v- lazy Z lay out configuration) (135 ft length) configured inside the attic. Used this for almost 1 1/2yrs before the HOA came knocking at my front door and I proceeded to explain that they needed to check the dates that we purchased and the HOA DEED Restrictions on the date of purchase and if they wanted to carry this any farther they would need to get a Federal Court Attorney because I would take it straight to Federal Court since I was a legally licesened Ham Operator and would fight their actions. At this point they immediately left my property to never be heard from again. Now the HOA Restrictions have been modified to show that prior approval for external anteannas must be granted by the Board but now they are allowed. I used their own written rules/regs to my benefit. ....... And you would be suprised the results that can be obtained from a homemade antenna made out of wire. Towers with rotateable beams are not mandatory but sometime you use what you have to work with .................................................................. drill sgt.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    ^^^^^^ Research your HOA deed restrictions carefully for actual loopholes.. Ours had No restrictions on external anteannas . Example:: In July 2006 bought into a HOA after much research and 2 weeks after actually moving in a multi-band HF ground vertical was installed in back yard but without coax feedline connected. Also had a homemade multi-band HF OCF wire (inverted v- lazy Z lay out configuration) (135 ft length) configured inside the attic. Used this for almost 1 1/2yrs before the HOA came knocking at my front door and I proceeded to explain that they needed to check the dates that we purchased and the HOA DEED Restrictions on the date of purchase and if they wanted to carry this any farther they would need to get a Federal Court Attorney because I would take it straight to Federal Court since I was a legally licesened Ham Operator and would fight their actions. At this point they immediately left my property to never be heard from again. Now the HOA Restrictions have been modified to show that prior approval for external anteannas must be granted by the Board but now they are allowed. I used their own written rules/regs to my benefit. ....... And you would be suprised the results that can be obtained from a homemade antenna made out of wire. Towers with rotateable beams are not mandatory but sometime you use what you have to work with .................................................................. drill sgt.

The only external antennas allowed are for satellite tv. They’re rather specific.

Our home is less than 4 years old and has a radiant barrier insulation inside the attic.

I’m exploring other stealth options too.

Top Bottom