Ham Radio info??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    At the test yesterday, one of the VEs asked "Any preppers here?" No one raised their hand, lol. I said "I'm a gray man, I can't say". That got a laugh.

When you pass one test, they ask if you want to "challenge" the next one. If you say yes, they let you take it for no additional cost. I totally guessed at the General and got 25 right, needed 26 to pass. A little studying and I should be able to get General and Expert next month.

Yep, the FIRST rule of prepping, DONT ADMIT TO PREPPING! Lol, there was a HF base station, 1 kenwood 2 meter HT, 2 (i think 2m only) mobiles, icom if i remember. And a mobile scanner.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Y’all noticed that the price of baofengs have skyrocketed on Amazon?

Yep the two I got jumped 20 bucks in price. Had to wait a couple weeks to get those. There was a baofeng uv9 on there for 31 bucks earlier today. Im tempted to buy a bulk pack and hand them out to my neighbors.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Yep the two I got jumped 20 bucks in price. Had to wait a couple weeks to get those. There was a baofeng uv9 on there for 31 bucks earlier today. Im tempted to buy a bulk pack and hand them out to my neighbors.

Congratulations on your ticket. If you want to check in on our 2 meter net at 8pm Wed. 146.835 with a 114.8 tone. Every ham is welcome

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I will Probably go with a mobile unit setup as a base station. The HF stuff is pricy, I wonder if I could trade some 22lr for one. HAHAHAHA!

Do you know Mark Walock KF5DKG he lives close to you?

Program this in your handheld and you can talk to 3 people that have posted in this thread easy. They tower is on 63 just below I-12

Downlink: 444.35000
    Uplink: 449.35000
    Offset: +5.0 MHz
    Uplink Tone: 156.7
    Downlink Tone: 156.7

Last edited:

Gatorbug

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Gonzales
    Another option would be a digital mode like DMR. DMR allows you to talk all over the world from a handheld or mobile using your technician license.

Im using an Anytone 878uv plus radio, its about 240 bucks. It will do vhf/uhf but also DMR. I bought mine from Bridgecomsystems.com. Its alot of radio for the money and well built too. Has built in GPS and Bluetooth.

You can go to youtube and search DMR for info or the bridgecom site. Its different than analog Ham radio but it is interesting that you can sit on your couch with a handheld radio and talk all over the world.

If you get a hotspot you can take it anywhere you have internet access and it acts like a personal repeater. you can use you phone as a hotspot and go anywhere and be able to talk all over.

You can also use local DMR repeaters. i dont see any in the walker area but i can hit the ones in Baton Rouge and Convent from Gonzales.

So just another option for a new ham, I been a ham since 2003 and just now getting into the world of DMR.

KD5UYZ
    Todd

Last edited:

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Do you know Mark Walock KF5DKG he lives close to you?

Program this in your handheld and you can talk to 3 people that have posted in this thread easy. They tower is on 63 just below I-12

Downlink: 444.35000
    Uplink: 449.35000
    Offset: +5.0 MHz
    Uplink Tone: 156.7
    Downlink Tone: 156.7

I dont know him, I think theres a couple people on my road with ham licenses.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Is TYT brand any good? TYT-TH-9800-Cross-Band-Transceiver looks like it has alot of bang for the buck. NEVERMIND, china special.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom