Hello Minority Report/ATF Busted

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Haha! Gotcha!
    I knew Walmart has been using the facial recognition software for years now when they ID’d and caught two persons of interest (although they were cleared I think?) after some crime and it made the news. I guess pretty soon it’ll be like China and all the traffic cams will be locking on us. And drones! Can’t forget those.
    Hey wait… Walgreens sells liquor?

Yes. They're a little more pricey than grocery stores usually are from what I've seen, but they do carry booze...

SKIPP3R L.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2020
    Denham Springs, la
    No, these places do not use facial recognition software. All those PVM’s at the front of the store are just normal cameras inside them and go back to a normal NVR.

Also the cameras do not do the recognition anyhow. The NVR’s do, if at all.

These places do not buy the expensive stuff and certainly do not pay them he p ice for quality service down the line to keep them running well.

I should know. My company contracts with places like Walmart, Target, Harbor Freight, Aarons, Dollar General and such. These are normal systems that you can buy and once they are installed, the stores are lucky to get service approved from their DM’s.

We are also contracted to assist LEO on incident and copy and send for insurance purposes. And we have to blank, load and configure the software on occasions they fail.

I would say corporate chains have a 99% chance of a basic 2m-6m recording setup. Obviously some places do have high end equipment, but chain stores definitely do not.

The ‘wow they caught that guy’ part comes from the MGR’s and their ability to remember the perps and get lucky that they were within range of a camera.

I’ve done this for over 35 years in more than 10 states.

Now does this negate the sinister nature that it will happen one day? No. And as someone that works in this field, I hate this. I hate what my job is becoming. I’m just happy I don’t have too many years before retirement but hen drop completely off the grid.

tl;dr: chain stores do not have facial recognition cctv systems, but I’m sure they will one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    No, these places do not use facial recognition software. All those PVM’s at the front of the store are just normal cameras inside them and go back to a normal NVR.

Also the cameras do not do the recognition anyhow. The NVR’s do, if at all.

These places do not buy the expensive stuff and certainly do not pay them he p ice for quality service down the line to keep them running well.

I should know. My company contracts with places like Walmart, Target, Harbor Freight, Aarons, Dollar General and such. These are normal systems that you can buy and once they are installed, the stores are lucky to get service approved from their DM’s.

We are also contracted to assist LEO on incident and copy and send for insurance purposes. And we have to blank, load and configure the software on occasions they fail.

I would say corporate chains have a 99% chance of a basic 2m-6m recording setup. Obviously some places do have high end equipment, but chain stores definitely do not.

The ‘wow they caught that guy’ part comes from the MGR’s and their ability to remember the perps and get lucky that they were within range of a camera.

I’ve done this for over 35 years in more than 10 states.

Now does this negate the sinister nature that it will happen one day? No. And as someone that works in this field, I hate this. I hate what my job is becoming. I’m just happy I don’t have too many years before retirement but hen drop completely off the grid.

tl;dr: chain stores do not have facial recognition cctv systems, but I’m sure they will one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I’m sure there are folks that think this is ok or not a reason to get my feathers ruffled. I hope they won’t comment in this thread. That damn pot is getting pretty hot.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/10/atf-fbi-monitor-over-1000-law-abiding-gun-owners/#axzz7AAq9sAi6

I don't know why you bother?!? Anyone that still believes the people in power in this country respect the laws and want to protect the rights of the citizenry are just dumb at this point.

Edward Snowden should have been all you needed to know about; but since then, there's been many instances of violations of Rights at the hands and the behest of government.

I fear, in time (don't know when for sure), true freedom loving Americans will be forced to die in this country defending what they know is real liberty!

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Not sure how true this is but I’ve heard buying multiple firearms in a week or duplicates of the same firearms can get you out on a list. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if it’s true but have only heard this from word of mouth.

Pretty sure its common knowledge at this point that every FFL in the country has to report handgun sales of two or more hand guns, in a single transaction or two or more within five business days, to the ATF and the local chief LEO in the area. (Form 3310.4).

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Pretty sure its common knowledge at this point that every FFL in the country has to report handgun sales of two or more hand guns, in a single transaction or two or more within five business days, to the ATF and the local chief LEO in the area. (Form 3310.4).
    So are you saying that buying multiples will get you put on a watch list? I only found out about the specific requirements when I just so happened to buy two pistols days apart from each other. Before that I didn’t know it was a thing. I also wasn’t aware it would get me put on a watch list only that it had to be reported to local LE.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    So are you saying that buying multiples will get you put on a watch list? I only found out about the specific requirements when I just so happened to buy two pistols days apart from each other. Before that I didn’t know it was a thing. I also wasn’t aware it would get me put on a watch list only that it had to be reported to local LE.

No, you said that.
    I said exactly what I said. I described an ATF Form 3310.4 to you.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...acial-recognition-technology-macys-2021-7?amp

https://www.zdnet.com/article/backl...kicked-out-of-skating-rink-after-false-match/

Facial recognition worth-a-reads..
    It’s not the cameras. It’s the software. It’s so easy my phone can do it. But that’s a tangent for another thread.

I know Walmart denies using the technology, but I also find it hard to believe ons of the largest retailers of our time would pass on that and they seem to have their hands in a little more than retail these days.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I guess he only wants to be quoted as saying who it’s reported to and you have to fill in the blanks. I’m sure they just dump the info once it’s reported…………………………………………….but yeah. He didn’t say that you won’t be put on a watch list.
    Better question is when did that start?

And do the words ‘common knowledge’ take anything away from anything? It doesn’t negate anything at all for me, but it sure seems to be the way they’re used today………

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't know why you bother?!? Anyone that still believes the people in power in this country respect the laws and want to protect the rights of the citizenry are just dumb at this point.

Edward Snowden should have been all you needed to know about; but since then, there's been many instances of violations of Rights at the hands and the behest of government.

I fear, in time (don't know when for sure), true freedom loving Americans will be forced to die in this country defending what they know is real liberty!
    Oh come on man! Part of being prepared to deal with something is to know about it. There’s always something you can do about something. Imagine what it was like in France when Hitler invaded and occupied their cities and their homes. There are indeed herds of sheep who can’t think for themselves at this point. You know many, as do I. Doesn’t mean there’s nothing we can do. And I know you didn’t call me dumb.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    No, you said that.
    I said exactly what I said. I described an ATF Form 3310.4 to you.
    A watch list to me would mean they store your information and actively watch you and monitor your daily activities. Is that’s what’s done or is it a simple document that gets sent over to local LE and likely thrown by the waste side depending on department?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I guess he only wants to be quoted as saying who it’s reported to and you have to fill in the blanks. I’m sure they just dump the info once it’s reported…………………………………………….but yeah. He didn’t say that you won’t be put on a watch list.
    Better question is when did that start?

And do the words ‘common knowledge’ take anything away from anything? It doesn’t negate anything at all for me, but it sure seems to be the way they’re used today………

yea I agree. I wouldn’t exactly consider that common knowledge amongst gun owners. I’d be willing to bet most didn’t or don’t even know it’s a thing. The only reason I do is because one of the guys who used to work at Academy told me he had to fill one out for me.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    A watch list to me would mean they store your information and actively watch you and monitor your daily activities. Is that’s what’s done or is it a simple document that gets sent over to local LE and likely thrown by the waste side depending on department?

I have no idea. Call your local CLEO and ask them what they do with the form.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    yea I agree. I wouldn’t exactly consider that common knowledge amongst gun owners. I’d be willing to bet most didn’t or don’t even know it’s a thing. The only reason I do is because one of the guys who used to work at Academy told me he had to fill one out for me.

Jeez. Ok.

Common knowledge to me means there is no signed NDA by an FFL, and anyone with ten firing neurons could google "ATF multiple handgun" and its literally the first two hits.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Jeez. Ok.

Common knowledge to me means there is no signed NDA by an FFL, and anyone with ten firing neurons could google "ATF multiple handgun" and its literally the first two hits.
    Ask your average customer if they know it’s a thing. I think you’d be surprised. With that logic anything that pops up on the first page of a google search you should know because it’s common knowledge.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ask your average customer if they know it’s a thing. I think you’d be surprised. With that logic anything that pops up on the first page of a google search you should know because it’s common knowledge.

I find it hard to believe the guys on here who post about this stuff all the time have not done simple research on stuff that’s easily discovered with a google search. If that’s the case then it’s safe to assume a lot of you are just regurgitating what someone has told you.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I’d think this would be the first google search in looking at how ATF works in regards to buying firearms. Bunch of rookies

e91cb9f6b4691a36aaf71d8e2e2ad0ed.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’d think this would be the first google search in looking at how ATF works in regards to buying firearms. Bunch of rookies

e91cb9f6b4691a36aaf71d8e2e2ad0ed.jpg

I hear ya Motor. Only problem with that statement is, most people do not equate the word MULTIPLE with two. Matter of fact, more than one being considered multiple really seems like a stretch.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I find it hard to believe the guys on here who post about this stuff all the time have not done simple research on stuff that’s easily discovered with a google search. If that’s the case then it’s safe to assume a lot of you are just regurgitating what someone has told you.

When have you seen me make a thread like this? I’ll wait. I don’t bother because of the backlash from people saying your just being paranoid or a conspiracy theorists. It seems you just try to find any little thing I say to argue about. How would a Google search help with the atf Illegally storing information of gun owners? Do you you really think the atf is going to make it common knowledge they are breaking the law? Cmon dude seriously. Did you even bother reading OPs original post or did you just hop in a thread to try and show everyone how smart you think you are.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom