Hepatitis-B Vaccine in Newborns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    My wife and I just had our first baby. A little girl. While my wife was in labor, a nurse came in with a Hepatitis-B vaccine consent form for us to sign so they could vaccinate her right after birth. I told the nurse absolutely not, and signed the line refusing it.

The day after our baby was born, another nurse came into my wifes room with another consent form for the vaccination. Again, I told her not a chance in H*LL (those were my exact words). Again, I signed the refusal line on the document.

Later that same day, our pediatrician came in for the first time to see us and the baby. He started explaining the benefits of the Hep-B vaccination to us. I was polite and let him finish before explaining to him how 12 times more children under the age of 14 die from adverse reactions to the vaccination than die of Hepatitis B, and the vast majority of people who contract it are drug users who share infected needles and men who practice anal sex. I also explained to him that I didn't plan on letting my 1 day old baby participate in either of those things. I could tell he wasn't thrilled with me.

What kind of country to we live in where a drug company (Merck) can spend 10's of millions lobbying congress to pass laws requiring our children to have a proven dangerous vaccine before they can go to day care or school??? Turns my stomach.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I understand your concern and shouldnt be a problem if she will be home schooled, otherwise she will not be able to attend even a day care if she doesnt have all the shots record.

Im going through that with my 4 year old, we lived in Lafayette when he was born and had a great Doctor, I divorced my ex wife when he was 2 and they moved back to Franklin where Doctors suck, all of a sudden they realized he is 4 1/2 starting Pre K and he never got his 3 or 4 year old shots and the school actually said until he gets them he cant come back to class, and he is actually missing like 4 shots and they cant be combined so now because of an incompetent Doctor he had to go every other day to get poked just so he can go back to school.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Been there

School said my kid had to have certain shots, don't remember them, I say when hell freezez over....then they say he can't go to class till I agree to put him on Ritalin....naw...awhellnaw

Short story, he graduated w/o any of the school nurse nazi innoculations or ritalin...

Grad date was 08 IIRC

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    While I have a very different opinion on vaccines in general (100% pro-vac), if you're going to stand your ground on any one of them, let it be hepB.

Please get the others.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    When my son was born I too refused the Hep-B shot for a while. My main concern was it's link (unproven) with autism.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    The problem is that statements like "20x more deaths in infants from hepB vaccines than deaths of infants from hepB itself".... while true, its incredibly cherry picked.

Infants don't die from hepB. They just don't catch it, since they aren't having sex or sharing needles. The reality is, adults die from hepatitis B every day, and a vaccine could have saved them.

Its quite clear that the benefits of vaccinations outweigh the risks, in spades. The problem is that the internet gives an equal voice to the loonies as to the rigorous, peer reviewed, statistically analyzed, and universally supported stance.

But hey. Your kid.

We each take a similar cost/benefit ratio when we being guns into our house for self defence. While you may never get attacked, you increase your risk of accidental death from firearms several thousandfold. Yet, that doesn't seem to bother anybody. Perhaps the antivax crowd just doesn't understand the devastation of these diseases.

I'm completely willing to take the 1/100,000 chance of serious complication to prevent the horrors of tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis, hepB (hepatocellular carcinoma ), measles, mumps, rubella, meningitis, polio, cervical cancer, etc.

But hey... your kid. Best of luck (sincerely, for the kids sake)

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    "Infants don't die from hepB. They just don't catch it, since they aren't having sex or sharing needles. The reality is, adults die from hepatitis B every day, and a vaccine could have saved them."

You do realize that when a newborn is given the Hep-B vaccination right after birth, by the age of 7 most children haven't retained enough of the anti-bodies to even be immune anymore. It is a fact.

Yea, adults die of Hep-B all the time. But the VAST majority of them are in the high risk group I mentioned in my original post. Unless one of the parents have Hep-B when a baby is born, there is absolutely no reason to take that chance. COULD my baby contract Hep-B through some freak 1 in a million accident. I guess. But I will always error on the side of caution, and if she is many many times more likely to be put at risk by taking the shot, in my simple mind it is a no brainier. The numbers don't lie. You want to protect your child, refuse the shot.

I guess I am saying I just don't understand your logic. If your child has a 1/100,000 chance of having a serious reaction to a vaccination, and a 1/1,000,000 chance of contracting what you are immunizing it for, isn't that a pretty simple decision?

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    Vaccines have done more for us than they have hurt us. Both of mine are fully innoculated and smart healthy athletic kids.

I am specifically talking about the Hep-B vaccine in new born babies. If it has helped more infants than it has hurt, then please post your references for that fact. It sounds a little too much like a politician when somebody throws out a statement that is not directly related to what I originally said, and without any information backing it up.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    "Infants don't die from hepB. They just don't catch it, since they aren't having sex or sharing needles. The reality is, adults die from hepatitis B every day, and a vaccine could have saved them."

You do realize that when a newborn is given the Hep-B vaccination right after birth, by the age of 7 most children haven't retained enough of the anti-bodies to even be immune anymore. It is a fact.

Yea, adults die of Hep-B all the time. But the VAST majority of them are in the high risk group I mentioned in my original post. Unless one of the parents have Hep-B when a baby is born, there is absolutely no reason to take that chance. COULD my baby contract Hep-B through some freak 1 in a million accident. I guess. But I will always error on the side of caution, and if she is many many times more likely to be put at risk by taking the shot, in my simple mind it is a no brainier. The numbers don't lie. You want to protect your child, refuse the shot.

I guess I am saying I just don't understand your logic. If your child has a 1/100,000 chance of having a serious reaction to a vaccination, and a 1/1,000,000 chance of contracting what you are immunizing it for, isn't that a pretty simple decision?

Cite your sources, please.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    You guys are all nuts. Just where in the HELL do you get your misinformation?

I have never heard so much nonsense in one place since I was a democrat as a child.

The risks of any of these vaccines are miniscule compared to the dangers of getting all those illnesses. It has been proved beyond a shadow of doubt that vaccines have nothing to do with "autism".

Now, as to drugging kids to make them behave, I am 100% against that.

I have been a physician for over 40 years and have never seen a single case of a vaccine harming a child.

leVieux

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    You guys are all nuts. Just where in the HELL do you get your misinformation?

I have never heard so much nonsense in one place since I was a democrat as a child.

The risks of any of these vaccines are miniscule compared to the dangers of getting all those illnesses. It has been proved beyond a shadow of doubt that vaccines have nothing to do with "autism".

Now, as to drugging kids to make them behave, I am 100% against that.

I have been a physician for over 40 years and have never seen a single case of a vaccine harming a child.

leVieux

This is EXACTLY what I was trying to say, but I wanted to see if the OP could prove his point before I opened my mouth. I agree with what most of LeVieux says. I have experience and training in the public health field and have never seen or heard of actual proof of vaccine harming a human. Period.

At the risk of offending, LeVieux, though, I don't agree with the statement about giving drugs to make the child behave. I have actually seen Concerta help ADHD children. Sorry, LeVieux. Hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife and I just had our first baby. A little girl. While my wife was in labor, a nurse came in with a Hepatitis-B vaccine consent form for us to sign so they could vaccinate her right after birth. I told the nurse absolutely not, and signed the line refusing it.

The day after our baby was born, another nurse came into my wifes room with another consent form for the vaccination. Again, I told her not a chance in H*LL (those were my exact words). Again, I signed the refusal line on the document.

Later that same day, our pediatrician came in for the first time to see us and the baby. He started explaining the benefits of the Hep-B vaccination to us. I was polite and let him finish before explaining to him how 12 times more children under the age of 14 die from adverse reactions to the vaccination than die of Hepatitis B, and the vast majority of people who contract it are drug users who share infected needles and men who practice anal sex. I also explained to him that I didn't plan on letting my 1 day old baby participate in either of those things. I could tell he wasn't thrilled with me.

What kind of country to we live in where a drug company (Merck) can spend 10's of millions lobbying congress to pass laws requiring our children to have a proven dangerous vaccine before they can go to day care or school??? Turns my stomach.

I'm proud of you for standing up for your daughter's health and well-being.

Too many sanguinoid Americans buy into anything "Authority" claims without researching for self. It's the very reason we are in the **** condition we find ourselves - with no easy way to extricate ourselves.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am not a proponent of ANY vaccines. YOU, the doctor and the Nazi Drug Companies can prove jack about how it helps. Pick up a Physician's Desk Reference and read through it a bit. Those of us who have worked in Research know that politics and statistics aren't to be trusted. He who pays the bills determines the results. There are many such cases today; in fact, I no longer follow them. "Let the dead bury the dead" is what I say. If the mother is healthy and breast feeds the child there is no need for vaccines. That's biological fact.

steverM9

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Clinton, LA
    Right. Why would you want to purposely inject yourself with poisons??? Also, please explain why people get the flu after they just got a flu shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom