Here's one for NOLACOP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    If someone SAYS they are going to hit you, it is not the same as someone hitting you. If you or I hit a man because he says he was going to hit you, then you or i will go to jail for assault, why should the cops have more rights than a citizen? Not to mention an 84yr old guy??? Did the Bruce Leroy LEO feel he was about to be harmed?? really?? I wanna see that on the news.. i want to see the cop make a statement in public .. I can see it now..

"Yes, he touched me and i feared for my safety, HE MOVED LIKE THE WIND AND HIS KUNG FU WAS AS STRONG AS MASTER YODA'S! I had no choice but to use my many years of training in senior citizen takedown tactics.. I was unsure if he was armed with their weapon of choice.. the Shimangi Cane of the AARP... Geritol makes them almost invincible its like crack to a 19yr old banger, I was lucky my training saved me."

In some places, if a person threatens you with physical violence, and is able to carry that threat out, (like the 84 year old man) he has committed the offense of assault. You do not have to wait to get hit to protect yourself. I tend to take people at their word. If they say they are going to hit me or shoot me, I'll take action to assure that does not happen. There are several news reports where old WWII vets have taken action to prevent robberies and have used firearms to protect themselves or others. They are always praised and held up as willing and able. Why is this guy any different?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Part: 1
    I think being 84 has EVERYTHING to do with it. If your 84, and your still driving drunk, parking illegally, verbally assaulting LEO's, making physical contact with an LEO multiple times, then balling your fist in preparation to assault an LEO. Then your one dumb ass 84 year old.

I hope by 84 I know better than to Drive Drunk, Park illegally (KNOWINGLY), Curse at cops, then threaten to Assault a Cop.

If I don't I deserve to be the man in the video.

Part 2:
    Looked to me like every SOP in the book was justified to shoot him dead as soon as the Cop saw the gun. Why he didn't, we can only speculate. Very Sad indeed and should be a training video watched once a month along with many others. We'd be fools not to learn from others mistakes.

I've been knee deep in the **** overseas more than a few times, I've heard those screams too. But to be ALONE against what obviously looks to be like an OVER-powered match. Man that scares the crap out of me. i can't imagine the fear and panic he most have been going through.

What I can imagine is why LEO's take certain measures the way they do. This video has defintely changed my perception on LEO involved situations that some might think to be out of control. I guess you could call it a new found respect. I've seen lot's of videos too, this one however explains alot. Man why didn't that guy taze him at the first glance of non-compliance? Too many Why's here/

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    In some places, if a person threatens you with physical violence, and is able to carry that threat out, (like the 84 year old man) he has committed the offense of assault. You do not have to wait to get hit to protect yourself. I tend to take people at their word. If they say they are going to hit me or shoot me, I'll take action to assure that does not happen. There are several news reports where old WWII vets have taken action to prevent robberies and have used firearms to protect themselves or others. They are always praised and held up as willing and able. Why is this guy any different?

I forget the specifics, but either Dinkheller or someone in the agency had just been sued for a BS use of force complaint. Rank was coming down very hard on everyone. I agree, as do most, that there were a lot of signs. Trust me, this video has been used as a training standard for "when it is time to stop being nice, and start being real" all across the country.

However, it is unconscionable how after the man's behavior, that when he first saw the gun , he did not react more aggressively.

Part of it is I believe the fact in most all non-sociopathic human beings, the desire to not harm another person is strong. Especially when that person is seen as weaker--older, younger, women, child, mentally ill, etc. That is a barrier that is very hard for people to get over. Many will wait until it is too late hoping to either talk the person down, they are just bluffing, or they will change their mind.

Despite the anti-leo bs on here and elsewhere, LEO's are human and have no more, albeit less for personal reasons, to use force or violence against another, as they know their actions will be scrutinized more than most and they have more to directly lose in most cases.

A lot has been learned from this brave deputy's death.

Last edited:

RocknRolla

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Abita Springs, La
    I agree that Deputy Dinkheller had plenty of chances to shoot that SOB, and really should have. He had every right to.

I guess that really should stand as a testament to the fact that we really don't know how we'll react in situations like that until we've been in a situation like that. I'd like to think that if I were in Deputy Dinkheller's shoes that day I would have shot that guy after the first warning once he had the rifile out. I'd like to think that, but I really don't know for sure. You can't unless you were there.

Training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training, training.

I'm starting to think you guys set traps for this guy.

Me too. I don't agree with everything Nolacop says, but right is right.

And as far as that old guy goes, look for a fight and you'll find one.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well, I have a MAJOR issue with this incident. I don't know the psyche of the officer and I've not been verbally assaulted by an 84 year old but the issue lies in training - or the lack thereof.

I'm an orange belt in judo (who never tested for brown over the course of 2 yrs due to work constraints) and I can take the vast majority of you here down without any significant harm. Throwing someone over my hip with bad intentions will result in injury if you don't know how to break fall (either through instinct - not likely, or by training). This is especially true for an elderly person.

I believe LE should be Brown Belts in Judo so we don't have any reason (or many reasons) for people being "knuckled under" by LE. Of course, the same guys who cannot control themselves in the worst circumstances will then be providing joint injuries to some persons they arrest. Six on one hand a Half Dozen on the other I guess.

I always strictly practice "avoid contact"... Hard to get bodyslammed into the pavement or beatened, tazed and pepper sprayed when I have no contact with them while they are on duty. If I feel like being stupid I practice break falls, do cart wheels or workout with my kettle bell. Works like a charm. :mamoru:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I got stabbed by a 79 year old man with his Old Timer. The point of the blade STUCK in my Scapula. It was Painful. I had to take meds for 2 weeks that made me sick to my stomach. I will never give anybody the chance to do it again. I don't violate the Civil Rights of Others. I'm not a bully, but, I work the road and I understand if I let you tell me your gonna whip my ass enough times with out preempting you you are going to pysch yourself up for a shot at the title. I'm not gonna let it happen. Ask, Tell, Make. End of Story. Threaten me and you will likely find yourself with a Wood Shampoo and a nice Resisting Arrest Hat.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, you should consider anyone who does not strike, choke , or strip you naked and place you in a cell for six hours after fondling your boobies as nice.

Unless you are into that sort of thing or paid in advance, then I would most certainly sue for breach of verbal contract and/or make a citizens' arrest.

The witness has rights......

Really, went should a cop choke someone or put them in a cell naked for six hours?

dos gris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Did they ever catch the cop killer?

Yes, he was sentenced to death, but I am not sure if/when the sentence was carried out.

The officer was 22 years old I think, three or four years experience. He was very young faced with a difficult situation. Very sad.

While I generally despise the public release of such videos due to the impact on the family of the officer, we canhonor them by taking what we learned from the atrocity so it never happens again.

Law Enforcement Officers deserve our support- they are not the enemy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom