Highpower Keeps Growing

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We held a practice at Palo Alto today and 4 new shooters showed up (2 adults and 2 juniors). Because we had so many new shooters, we decided to do an impropto clinic for them. Each shooter received his own coach and they were put through all three positions from 200 yards. I am pleased to say that everyone showed potential. I really want these two juniors for the state team because they showed alot of promise. One of the adults was none other than BS's own Ritten. I think he had fun and will return. I hope he sees this and gives his own report. Practice ended up being called due to weather so they didn't get to shoot at 600.

There is another practice on Sunday December 28th at Gonzales if anyone is interested.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Typically 14 - 20. There have been some big 13 yr olds who have shot with us, but kids that young usually get frustrated because they cannot hold the rifle in offhand and they usually get tired before the end of the match. These two today were 17 and clearly had shot before.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    That is AWESOME news!!! I was out in the area today should have packed the rifle and left a bit early...

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I really had a lot of fun out there! Thanks again Dan for the invite and the patience to go over everything with me. Guys, most of the shooters out there seem to be willing to take most of their "practice day" to help out the new guys and show you the aspects of the sport. I've always heard from some of the greatest rifle shooters that they give the biggest amount of credit for teaching them HOW to shoot to the sport of highpower shooting. Anyone can look through a scope and shoot at 100yds, but it's amazingly rewarding to be forced to apply the basics (breathing, acquiring NPA, sight picture, trigger control, etc.) and shoot the x ring. They are skills that you can/will carry over to every aspect of shooting. As Jay said...."200yds is like shooting fish in a barrel" to these guys. "600yds is where it gets fun out here!" I had a good time and just wish the rain had held off a little longer, but I'll certainly be back.

I'm ordering some of the 80gr. SMK's this week!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Well, so far there have been 7 or 8 BSers who have shot highpower with us. I am fairly certain everyone had fun and learned something. I have been contacted by a number of people lately who have inquired about shooting highpower. Right now I would estimate that we have a dozen or so guys who have shot with us once or twice and a few more who haven't made it out yet. I am thinking that a clinic would be in order. It appears that the 4th Saturday of January is open. This would have the advantage of having the 200 yd Gonzales match the next day. It has a further advantage of being after deer season. RDO, Pangris, Sound, Swamper, SKYWLKR, Ritten, Pain Man, LCPL4, Tactical723 are you guys interested in getting in a bit deeper with some coaching and work on your positions and technique? Anyone interested that I missed?

Let me know and I will try to put it together. Don't forget we have matches on the 3rd Saturday and the 4th Sunday of each month. I want to increase the size of the monthly matches by getting a few more of ya'll hooked.

Your friendly neighbohood shooting pusher - Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I'll be there. Any advice on what I should bring? What ammo would be best to bring and how much?

At least 58 rounds. Some type of match bullets would be best. These rifles have 1:8 twist so heavier bullets shoot well, I haven't tried 52s. I think Pain Man shot 55 FMJBTs last time. They will work, but they don't give te best accuracy for those times when the rings on the targets get close together (simulated 600).

You will need to bring a glove for your non-firing hand, eye and ear protection, a sweat shirt and drinks and snacks.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    I'm always interested. Would have come out but the wife was working so I was in charge of the boys. I never really know when I can make it out till the day or two before.

I'd also like to request a day where a few of us can come over and go through the reloading process. I've read a couple of manuals but I'd also like to see it done in person.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    That sounds good. I would also be interested in the clinic, although when I go out there I'm going to be starting from the basics. Thanks for the info.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We do basics.

I need to tell you a story: I was talking with Emil Praslick who is an AMU shooter and Coach. His teams win the Nationals with great regularity . In fact, last year his teams swept every team event that they entered. During our conversation, I asked him if the AMU would put on an advanced clinic, something for experts and Masters. He said that they would. When I asked him about the ciriculum, he told me it was the same as the basic clinic. In other words, all they did was re-emphasize the basics. I took this advice to heart and truly worked on the basic lessons that I had learned - primarily my positions, natural point of aim, focus and trigger control. I picked up significant points. If you concentrate on a perfect NPA for each shot, you won't get many off call shots. If your focus is proper, you will be able to call your shots and your shots will likely be inside of your call (better than you think). We practice the lessons that we teach to every new shooter. From the first day, you just learn to build on the basics until you perfect them (I am still working on that).

The only thing that I think is "advanced" i.e. we don't cover it from day 1, is how to read the wind. That is best done by shooting in pairs with the experienced shooter describing what he is seeing through his spotting scope. Once you get a feel for it, you will improve to the point that you can put your first shot at 600 yds in the 10 ring with reasonable regularity.

Books and videos help. Dry firing helps tremendously. You can get alot of good work done in your living room. In fact, you can even practice anytime you get some alone time by mentally shooting a match. Visualization is a powerful tool.

Highpower is a mental game or as someone once said: "It takes mental focus, not equipment hocus pocus." If you can shoot one ten on purpose, you can shoot 80 - provided you can keep your head in the game. Unfortunately, when I am shooting really well my brain begins to add up the score and talk to me. That costs points at the absolutely wrong time.

If you have any questions or ccomments, just drop me a line or post something.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    One last comment - most of us started highpower by jumping into the deep end of the pool. We just went to a match and started. There are always experienced shooters willing to help (although a championship or regional might not be the place).

Zeek

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Denham Springs
    RDO, Pangris, Sound, Swamper, SKYWLKR, Ritten, Pain Man, LCPL4, Tactical723 are you guys interested in getting in a bit deeper with some coaching and work on your positions and technique? Anyone interested that I missed?

Yes...

Can you recommend somewhere to purchase ammo?

And is it .223 or 5.56?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have been buying Black Hills 75 gr Match directly from Black Hills. It is available elsewhere, but pricey. I may be able to put together a buy for the highpower shooters if any are interested.

I guess it is .223.

Look on the web to see if anyone else has the Black Hills. Some folks have been using Privi Partisan 75 gr Match. It isn't the best but it is usable. LCPL4 may want to comment.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    Can I use a bipod? or do i have to hold it up? I have a ar-15 but it is heavy!
    Would this work?
    IMG_0022.jpg

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Well, so far there have been 7 or 8 BSers who have shot highpower with us. I am fairly certain everyone had fun and learned something. I have been contacted by a number of people lately who have inquired about shooting highpower. Right now I would estimate that we have a dozen or so guys who have shot with us once or twice and a few more who haven't made it out yet. I am thinking that a clinic would be in order. It appears that the 4th Saturday of January is open. This would have the advantage of having the 200 yd Gonzales match the next day. It has a further advantage of being after deer season. RDO, Pangris, Sound, Swamper, SKYWLKR, Ritten, Pain Man, LCPL4, Tactical723 are you guys interested in getting in a bit deeper with some coaching and work on your positions and technique? Anyone interested that I missed?

I'm certainly interested, it'll just be whether or not I'm home or not during matches/practices. My offshore schedule is about to change again in the coming months, so I can't plan for anything further out than a couple of weeks. Still, I'll be starting to get my own gear and shooting whenever I can.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    DZ whats the caliber restrictions... i wanna play too.

There is actually a caliber restriction of up to .308 diameter. However, I need to ask what game are you interested in? Across the course shooting will have certain requirements i.e. iron sights and capable of holding 5 rounds and be reloaded by magazine or stripper clip. This is the game that we play with NM AR-15s although some guys shoot M1s, M1As or match rifles. ANother type of Highpower shooting is prone and F Class. Prone uses any rifle with iron sights from a prone slung position. F Class is any rifle from a prone supported position (bi-pod or rest). Both of these are shot from 600 to 1000 yds (we only have a 600 yd range at Palo Alto). Let me know what you are interested in and I will steer you in the right direction.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Can I use a bipod? or do i have to hold it up? I have a ar-15 but it is heavy!
    Would this work?
    IMG_0022.jpg

Looks like you are set up for F Class tactical rifle. They will shoot that match on the first Saturday of every month. The next match is January 3rd at Palo Alto. Get a good 100 yd zero then come up 16 MOA and you should be on target at 600 yds for your fiirst shot.

What twist is your barrel. That may limit your bullet selection. 1:8" or faster is better because you can shoot Sierra 80 gr bullets (or some of the custom stuff).

If you want to shoot across the course, I can get you a loaner rifle.

If you have questions, let me know.

PS I would be surprised if it is as heavy as some of our service rifles. We put lead in them to balance them and they weigh 14 - 16 lbs. But they are balanced so they hold very steady offhand (if you do).

Dan

Last edited:
    Top Bottom