How does the earth's rotation affect the path of a bullet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Found this this morning and thought I'd share the link. Good data for you Mile+ guys!

How does the earth's rotation affect the path of a bullet?

For DoD'ers: "In Sacramento, the rotation of the earth causes your [bike] to drift about 16 feet to the right per mile." so when doing a wheelie you will have to lean to compensate. Shaft drive bikes aren't affected because, as everyone knows, shaft drive bikes can't wheelie.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That's a good article. This is precisely why I always set up my deer stands to favor an east/west shot, as opposed to north/souoth. I personally find it easier and more instinctual to correct for elevation rather than for windage.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That's a good article. This is precisely why I always set up my deer stands to favor an east/west shot, as opposed to north/souoth. I personally find it easier and more instinctual to correct for elevation rather than for windage.

For the record,

1) I was completely joking; and

2) There is probably real science there, but it won't mean squat to any of us; I didn't personally check the math, but I can believe it could mean several inches out at a mile or more.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    so would it be safe to say that if I jump very high in the air, I would not land in the same spot?

if you could jump high enough, yes.

The article does not go much into the coriolis(sp?) effect, but you can probably look it up online.

for things going vertical, just think of it like this. Everything on earth has a specific velocity, which equates to zero relative velocity at your elevation. At a higher elevation, you would need a higher specific velocity to equate to a zero relative velocity,

So, if you jumped at a certain elevation, (and for this example, we are assuming ZERO wind...that would be another concern altogether) and jumped high enough, as you got high enough and looked down, you would actually see the earth rotating beneath your feet, but as you came back to your starting elevation, you would not notice any rotation of the earth, because you are still traveling at taht same specific velocity.

this is just one of the effects of the earth's rotation, there are a few others, as the article mentioned, such as your target moving into or away from a stationary non-ralative horizontal plane depending on direction.

Top Bottom