How Much Ammo ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    I actually saw that the other day. However, I ordered a 3 pack of Anderson non logo lowers a week or so before I saw that deal for $180 shipped. Just waiting for my FFL to call so I can go pick them up. Should be any day now.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    Once upon a time in OIF 2004 with 1st Cav I went thru 210 rounds (7 mags) in under 5 mins during a small skirmish. I then started carrying 600 round (20 extra mags) in the Humvee for my crew in a ammo can. So i would say minimum 1000 rounds per gun per caliber.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It really depends on your shooting habits. 100 rounds in my deer hunting caliber might last me a decade of normal use. Probably more actually. For USPSA? Well, 20k per year for however many years I feel I need to have on hand.

Lastly.... I really hate all the "lost my guns in a boating accident" stuff. I get it, but if I have to hide my guns what good are they? Instead of hiding I have joined FPC, set up monthly donations, and am contacting at least one of my US Senators or Rep once weekly. That's the plan for the next two years. We all need to get on this IMHO.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Lastly.... I really hate all the "lost my guns in a boating accident" stuff. I get it, but if I have to hide my guns what good are they? Instead of hiding I have joined FPC, set up monthly donations, and am contacting at least one of my US Senators or Rep once weekly. That's the plan for the next two years. We all need to get on this IMHO.

100%

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    How much ammo is enough to keep on hand?

1K for an AR?

1K for an AK?

Pistol?

Bolt gun?

No mans tombstone ever read, He died because he had to much ammo.

What do you think?
    I think the answer is different for everyone. I shoot for the moon, deal with storage issues best I can and generally don’t divulge such info to people as a general rule.
    If you want a good guideline, consider your guns one by one and pretend there will come a day when you won’t be able to procure any more ammo for each one. Then figure out how many rounds you’ll want to have for that gun to last you the rest of your life and add a good day’s shooting to that and you’ll have your number.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I think the answer is different for everyone. I shoot for the moon, deal with storage issues best I can and generally don’t divulge such info to people as a general rule.
    If you want a good guideline, consider your guns one by one and pretend there will come a day when you won’t be able to procure any more ammo for each one. Then figure out how many rounds you’ll want to have for that gun to last you the rest of your life and add a good day’s shooting to that and you’ll have your number.

I think that is an excellent assessment

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Wise man who had seen much combat told me if you shoot 1,000 rounds in anger without getting killed, you're probably Chuck Norris, or he may play you in a movie.

With that said, if you're shooting competition, training, et al - 1,000 rounds may only last a day or two and I'd say you need to fire at LEAST 1,000 rounds through a given gun to achieve base minimum level acceptable competence.

So assuming one handgun and one rifle minimum - depending on application, somewhere between 4,000 and 400,000 rounds.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This has been a sticky on another forum for a long time.

The 10 Golden Rules of Ammo:​

1) You can never have too much ammunition on hand. 1k rounds per battle rifle is a good minimum to start with.
    2) Supplies of good surplus run out before you know it, and usually when you're running low on ammunition, so buy plenty while its available.
    3) When in doubt about how much ammunition you should buy, refer to rule #1.
    4) Ammunition is meant to be shot, so shoot often.
    5) Because of rule #4, ammunition must be replenished often as well.
    6) When replenishing supply of ammunition, refer to rules #1 through #3.
    7) You must buy at least twice as much ammunition as you shoot.
    8: Always store ammunition in a cool dry place. Or the only time you have too much ammunition is when your house is on fire.
    9) If you don't have room in your house to store ammunition per rule #8, build a bunker or a cellar in your back yard for storing ammunition.
    10) Friends don't let friends buy Indian surplus ammunition. Or Never buy surplus ammunition from a country where you wouldn't drink the water .

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    What is your age and life expectancy. That and the amount of ammo you shoot yearly can be used to compute the amount you need. As you age the amount needed will decrease. At age 70 you don't need as much as at age 40. Simple.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I went to the range Tuesday . One of my friends also came . He and I worked together and are both retired . We had the place to ourselves and spent more time talking than shooting . I went through one and a half boxes of 9mm and about 150 rds of .22 all total . We had a great day . It's not all about burning through hundreds of rounds of ammo . Enjoy yourself and don't let the bastards wear you down .

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I went to the range Tuesday . One of my friends also came . He and I worked together and are both retired . We had the place to ourselves and spent more time talking than shooting . I went through one and a half boxes of 9mm and about 150 rds of .22 all total . We had a great day . It's not all about burning through hundreds of rounds of ammo . Enjoy yourself and don't let the bastards wear you down .

There you go!!! I stopped at a gun range in Savoy the other day,Just me and the dog,The silence was deafening to say the least..........

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I live in a rural area and shoot A LOT on my property. Normally it's a Pavlov's Dog response when I go out for a session. Someone nearby thinks "that's a good idea" and soon you'll hear shots from hear and there. Especially if it's a pretty weekend afternoon.

Lately..... Birds chirping.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    All boating accidents must be reported to LDWF within five days . Just saying ....;)

All gun owners are now required by executive order issued by our Dear Leader today,You must take a Boaters Safety Course !!!

If you fail to take the mandated ordered or failed to pass then report to the nearest Fema training camp for future indoctrination !

Last edited:

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Well, that time last year when I sunk the airboat....there were a lot of guns that were lost to the brackish water marsh. I did report this to the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Dept....just for the record. Here’s me trying to float it back to the surface.
    54371ce172927c2d4ff1bf19bea1a2d2.jpg

After getting it up off bottom; the guns were gone. It was a sad day.
    5c24fa4285c4692c0cf50ff9da5e9c51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom