I hate corrosive ammo !

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I was wondering what you all use for corrosive ammo cleaning? I was at a CMP Garand Clinic this weekend and thye recomended using Murphy's Oil Soap mixed with water. I was told Windex does not have enough water in it to disovle the salt build up.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    corrosive

its not cheaper its because they did not have a good non corrosive mixture and corrosive ammo lasts a lot longer in storage.I have a 1000 rds of french 8 mm non corosive and they are mostly duds.ours was corrosive till 1954.and the military scrubbed right after they came of the firing line.and also the next 3 days.thats after target practice.what was cheaper was berdan primers.
    :rolleyes:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I'm trying to clean-up a MAS 49/56 now that is dark and crusty from corrosive ammo. It musta been a French thing about having some really corrosive ammo because I looked at another one that was really bad. Mine still shoots ok. Probably not for long though. The ammo I had I thought was new and non-corrosive but it may have been repackaged surplus, Prvi Partizan 7.5X54.

The french reparked a LOT of the 49/56's with out the bore plugged, if the weapon was re-arsenaled this was most likely the case. I believe they stamped the stock or rec. with the rearsenal year in a box, 2 digits only, sideways on the rec. they look very messed up, but will supposedly shoot themselves clean.

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    Most old European ammo used potassium chlorate in the berdan primer.
    The berdan primers have two tiny flash holes for better ignition than one large flash hole.
    The potassium chlorate must last a long time, as I shoot surplus ammo from the 1920's & 1930's that still shoot like new ammo.
    The potassium chlorate becomes potassium chloride after firing. You can find potassium chloride in your grocery as a substitute for sodium chloride.
    No Salt is the brand that is substituted for common table salt.
    Crystals of potassium chloride or sodium chloride attract water molecules & will begin the corrosion process straight away if not removed.
    I will refer to the potassium chloride as "salts".
    You can clean the bore like always with Hoppes #9, but the petrolium based cleaner does not dilute the salts. It is best to run some hot soapy water through the bore at sometime in the cleaning process to flush the salts.
    The bore must then be dried & coated with oil for storage afterwards.
    There is much debate & confusion over the topic of corrosive ammo.
    Don't be afraid to shoot corrosive ammo IF you can clean the bore properly within a day after shooting. In the Louisiana climate of near 100% humididy nearly 100% of the time, your barrel bore will begin rusting quickly.
    Don't use Windex! Windex is for windows.
    I use hot dishwashing solution or Castrol Super Clean diluted in hot water.
    I put the solution in a bucket, immerse the muzzle in the water, then run my cleaning rod from the breech end out through the muzzle & back to the breech again. I flush this out with clean water, as the dishwashing soap or the super clean are alkaline & will cause corrosion on thier own, but they are great cleaners.
    After flushing with water, I blow them dry with compressed air, & continue to clean with Hoppes #9, & oil on the last clean patch.
    Do not trust a single pass of the boresnake as a thorough cleaning.
    Those old bores need more help than that!

Doug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Lake Charles, LA
    Water is what dissolves and flushes out the salts. I pour boiling hot water through the bore when I get home, let it dry, which it does quickly because of the heat, and clean normally. Never had a rust problem in any of my milsurps in which I fire corrosive ammo.

Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    You need to use the Windex with ammonia... which is getting harder and harder to find. Ammonia is what cuts the chlorate (salts) deposits of the mercuric primers.

Using Windex without ammonia is pissing in the wind...;)

At the M1 Garand Clinic they explained it was the water that disolved the salts and washed them away and Windex wasn't the best to use. Just going by what they told us. My M2 ammo is non-corrosive but my 7.62x54R is corrosive.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I use windex at the range down the bore of my 5.45 upper, and HOT soapy water when I get home, followed by a good oiling. Works for me just fine, and isn't that big of a deal, considering the price difference of 5.56 and 5.45.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Using corrosive ammo sure sounds like a pain in the butt.

oh it aint that bad. I just blast wd-40 down the barrel with the squirt nozzle thing, scrub it, and repeat a few times and that does just fine for me.

I just do it cause im lazy and its easier than boiling water to pour down the barrel and all that other junk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom