I hate corrosive ammo !

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A while back , I took my 98k Mauser to the range and let another member here pop off some rounds . The ammo I had was advertised as non corrosive . When I got home I ran a boresnake down the barrel and put it away . I don't know why , but yesterday I got this funny feeling about it . Maybe I read something somewhere , or who knows what . I was in the gun safe anyway , taking some rifles out for my trip tomorrow , and something told me to check the Mauser . Damn good thing I did ! I could see some some rust starting to form right at the crown . I've been scrubbing with Windex for the last 30 minutes . :eek3: What a mess .

I make it a point to not buy corrosive stuff because I am not a fanatic about cleaning my guns as soon as I get home . Yeah , yeah , I know all about how easy it is to give a quick spritz of Windex at the range and all of that crap . I don't shoot enough rounds in a year to make it worth buying the cheap MilSurp stuff . I'm going to stick with a name brand ammo from now on . I'm through bitching now .

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Obviously it's cheaper to manufacture . That would explain why it was so common in Eastern Europe when everybody else switched to non corrosive .

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    See, if you never clean your guns you have that protective layering of copper and lead lining the barrel keeping those salts from ever touching the steel!

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I'm trying to clean-up a MAS 49/56 now that is dark and crusty from corrosive ammo. It musta been a French thing about having some really corrosive ammo because I looked at another one that was really bad. Mine still shoots ok. Probably not for long though. The ammo I had I thought was new and non-corrosive but it may have been repackaged surplus, Prvi Partizan 7.5X54.

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    Just wondering which ammo you used? Getting my 98K back tomorrow after checking the headspace and bought some nice ($$$) Remington to try out in her.

Been thinking about the YUGO 8 MM,guess I might rethink it.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Just wondering which ammo you used? Getting my 98K back tomorrow after checking the headspace and bought some nice ($$$) Remington to try out in her.

Been thinking about the YUGO 8 MM,guess I might rethink it.
    I think I got it from AIM Surplus . It looks like Cyrillic lettering . I'll see if I can ID it .

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Probably the yugo stuff. I shoot the romanian 8mm (corrosive) and I have let it set 2+ weeks before cleaning without any major effects.

I run some windex thru the barrel and bolt face, dry patch. Run some ed's red thru, dry patch, then kroil it, dry patch. Never had a problem.

The barrel was rough when I got it and is still dark, but never have any rust come thru on patches or on the bolt face.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm going to repeat the process in a couple of days just to be sure . I'll give it a shot of KROIL . I have a can out in the garage . Good stuff .

skyblue

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    mandeville
    No problem. Mix ammonia about 15-20% to water, I store it in old hoppes bottle and clean with it, then dry patch and follow with a oil patch. Been doing this for years. All vets should know this already. Good shooting!

Top Bottom