I hate corrosive ammo !

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    All ammo should be considered to be corrosive. I mean why not? It's not like it's hard to clean.

My experience of thousands of vehement internet testimonials about corrosive cleanup tells me that almost anything will work, but my immediate experience is that the cheapest method works best. Take the barreled action out of the wood and douse it inside and out with hot soapy water. It's the oldest way to clean up corrosive ammo, it's the cheapest way, and I think it's the best way. After all there's no limit to the amount of water you can use.

I have two cases of the old GI Bore cleaner - for corrosive ammo - but I still use the hot soapy water. I do not use Windex at the range. I figure that I'll be cleaning within a couple hours, so why deal with the Windex. So far - no corrosion.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    corrosive ammo

the primers were not cheaper to make corrosive type primers store much longer.its potassium clorate in the primers.I have a 1000 8 mm lebel on MG strips and most are duds they are noncorosive.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I've found that corrosive surplus ammo is a good bit cheaper than non-corrosive. That and the extra shelf life are worth the extra minutes of cleanup IMO.

Last edited:

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    Most old European ammo used potassium chlorate in the berdan primer.
    The berdan primers have two tiny flash holes for better ignition than one large flash hole.
    The potassium chlorate must last a long time, as I shoot surplus ammo from the 1920's & 1930's that still shoot like new ammo.
    The potassium chlorate becomes potassium chloride after firing. You can find potassium chloride in your grocery as a substitute for sodium chloride.
    No Salt is the brand that is substituted for common table salt.
    Crystals of potassium chloride or sodium chloride attract water molecules & will begin the corrosion process straight away if not removed.
    I will refer to the potassium chloride as "salts".
    You can clean the bore like always with Hoppes #9, but the petrolium based cleaner does not dilute the salts. It is best to run some hot soapy water through the bore at sometime in the cleaning process to flush the salts.
    The bore must then be dried & coated with oil for storage afterwards.
    There is much debate & confusion over the topic of corrosive ammo.
    Don't be afraid to shoot corrosive ammo IF you can clean the bore properly within a day after shooting. In the Louisiana climate of near 100% humididy nearly 100% of the time, your barrel bore will begin rusting quickly.
    Don't use Windex! Windex is for windows.
    I use hot dishwashing solution or Castrol Super Clean diluted in hot water.
    I put the solution in a bucket, immerse the muzzle in the water, then run my cleaning rod from the breech end out through the muzzle & back to the breech again. I flush this out with clean water, as the dishwashing soap or the super clean are alkaline & will cause corrosion on thier own, but they are great cleaners.
    After flushing with water, I blow them dry with compressed air, & continue to clean with Hoppes #9, & oil on the last clean patch.
    Do not trust a single pass of the boresnake as a thorough cleaning.
    Those old bores need more help than that!

+1 That's the best advice in a nutshell

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    See, if you never clean your guns you have that protective layering of copper and lead lining the barrel keeping those salts from ever touching the steel!

Ever heard of GALVANIC CORROSION?
    That is when two dissimilar metals remain in constant contact with an electrolyte present(Dirt & water) in a humid environment.
    Not good Larry. Not good at all.
    +1 That's the best advice in a nutshell

Why Thank You, BayouTrigger!:)
    Like member my-rifle says;
    Water is the solution for washing the salts away.
    Soap is just a release agent.

What is used to rinse the dried salt from your hair after swimmiing in the surf off of Grand Isle?
    What CLEAR liquid do you reach for to get that salty taste out of your mouth?

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Ammonia is a salt. It causes corrosion, not prevents it. If you shoot corrosive ammo then pour pure ammonia down the barrel, let dry, oil, and leave it for a month you will regret it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom