I just dont get the 40 cal.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I carry a 40 because the gun I like to carry currently is not chambered for 45. During the winter months when I wear a jacket then I'll carry my 45 with all them bullets but the reality is I'm 60 years old and never had the opportunity to shoot anyone or even come close to it and I'm probably too old to believe in Zombies. Not to say it will never happen but I suspect my 40 will do just fine if it's called upon.

10-4 Enough said...U tell em pops:}

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I get my ammo free? ;)

Seriously as stated before in this thread - "Knockdown power" is a myth. People who trust in size with a handgun round don't understand basic laws of nature. Shot placement is what counts, not bullet size with handgun ammunition.

I prefer 9mms, but since I carry a 40 caliber daily, I have all .40 cal glocks with drop in conversion barrels. To date, I have not had any more malfs/ftf than I would with a standard 40 cal and I shoot the crap out of my handguns. Ammo is +p rated.

JEG

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Listen up, this dumb ass I know shot himself in the big toe while sitting in the passenger seat of a toyota tundra. Gun- kimber 1911. Ammo-45 cal hydra shock.
    Results- very tiny inlet and outlet hole in toe. Toe still intact though it was smoking. Round did not penetrate floor board. WTF! It should have at least taken his toe off.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Listen up, this dumb ass I know shot himself in the big toe while sitting in the passenger seat of a toyota tundra. Gun- kimber 1911. Ammo-45 cal hydra shock.
    Results- very tiny inlet and outlet hole in toe. Toe still intact though it was smoking. Round did not penetrate floor board. WTF! It should have at least taken his toe off.
    Listen up, what is your point?

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder

You know how hollow points work?

Sent from Samsung S3 on the toilet.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I carry .40 cuz that's what's in my gun, and when I have big bullets that almost equal the capacity of 9mm, it makes me feel better, and when I feel better, I have an extras skip to my step, and when I have an extra skip to my step, I order from the left side of the menu.......and man, does it taste good!!

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I carry .40 cuz that's what's in my gun, and when I have big bullets that almost equal the capacity of 9mm, it makes me feel better, and when I feel better, I have an extras skip to my step, and when I have an extra skip to my step, I order from the left side of the menu.......and man, does it taste good!!

What he said.....:}

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

A .45 caliber bullet is a half inch whether or not it expanded. Your friend must have prodigious toes.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I have seen bullet Vs. toe a surprising number of times. Toe has never won.

Its cool, he has spares

feet.jpg

Seriously though, it must've just split the gap

nt5.jpg

JEG

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    Were you there for the negligent discharge and subsequent examination of the damage?

Or are you just repeating what you were told?

It was my wife's cousin's gun and my Brother in law in the truck. And yes I was at the hospital to looking at his toe / shoe and laughing my ass off!
    This was three years ago and i remind him of it regularly. I also made him show my kids and his son, so as why no to play with guns etc..

JEG

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    A .45 caliber bullet is a half inch whether or not it expanded. Your friend must have prodigious toes.

I didn't measure it, the hole was at least the size of the bullet of course. But as we thought and what he was thinking when they were cutting off the shoe, thought it would have been completely off or hanging by a thread.
    Think about it though, sitting in the passenger seat , foot cocked side ways a bit and angled down. Caught nothing but meat. Bullet never expanded at point blank , but I thought that's what the hrdra shocks were for.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I didn't measure it, the hole was at least the size of the bullet of course. But as we thought and what he was thinking when they were cutting off the shoe, thought it would have been completely off or hanging by a thread.
    Think about it though, sitting in the passenger seat , foot cocked side ways a bit and angled down. Caught nothing but meat. Bullet never expanded at point blank , but I thought that's what the hrdra shocks were for.

Pistol rounds fired into meat do not expand as soon as they make contact and the round probably left an exit hole before it would normally start to expand.

Last edited:

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey y'all...

To me, the G23/180 gr. HST combination is a very good mix of performance/firepower/portability.

Have had one since they came out and the new generation ammo makes them even better.

I just got a G36 as an EDC because it carries a little better IWB due to the fact that it's a little thinner/lighter.

Load 230 gr. HST +P's in it.

If Glock would make a .40 version of the G36 w/ an Eight round mag?

I'd buy one in a heart-beat.

Really nice round, especially out of a lightweight, compact pistol, if you are able to shoot it properly.

GR

Last edited:

EvilSVT

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Lafayette
    I really don't get the guys who call it a "short and weak" Looking at ballistic charts for federal Hydra shock ammo, The .40 has about the same (just a bit more) muzzle velocity but 25ft/lb more energy than the same flavor .45. Yes I know, bigger bullets, bigger damage, I get it. I cant tell the difference between my .40 and my .45 either as far as recoil goes. I hear a bang and then I miss the target. When I leave the house, I grab my 9mm. Lighter, more accurate and holds way more bullets than either. Like I tell my friends when I grab my .22 marlin. If you think its a bitch round, let me put one in your chest.

I have been shot at, not shot. At that particular time, I could have given a **** what he was shooting. I heard bang and ran like a bitch. Hell, It could have been firecrackers for all I know, really was not staying around to ask.

That's my .02

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I really don't get the guys who call it a "short and weak" Looking at ballistic charts for federal Hydra shock ammo, The .40 has about the same (just a bit more) muzzle velocity but 25ft/lb more energy than the same flavor .45.

In case you're serious, it stems from the development of the round after the 10mm was deemed too powerful for the FBI. The .40S&W and 10mm use the same diameter projectile, and the 40 is in fact, Shorter and Weaker than the 10mm. The dig isn't about comparisons to 9mm and 45ACP.

40wuss.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom