I just wanted to say...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I had an experience 20 years ago that completely randomly came to mind, and it compelled me to make this statement.

If I, a white Australian Hulk Hogan with sometimes offensive chest tattoos who has no affiliations because people generally suck, were to take a deposit on an item, I would, in no circumstance insist on keeping any of their $, especially after holding that deposit for a very short period of time, even if they possibly jumped the gun on a public verbal lynching.
    I don't think anyone appreciates someone who would publicly smear them before they had a chance to reconcile, but I also don't think anyone appreciates someone who takes advantage of a situation that involves someone else's $.

In the end, it's my actions that really matter, not theirs.
    02a52b704e5d7e10b6f68c7d09f9265d.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I have learned much in life, and still have yet more to learn, however, one of the most life changing lessons I have learned is to do my best to do right by others, even if they have not done right by me (some exemptions may apply to extreme cases).
    Generally, I am happy to lose a couple bucks or be slightly inconvenienced to learn who a person really is, so I can avoid them in the future. However, my positive actions will be noticed by others, which tends to bring positivity in my direction, but most of all, I can have a clear conscience, knowing that I did my part to do the right thing and treat others how I'd like to be treated.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    You're a good man, Charlie Brown! I mostly agree with you, but I also think that if I were to hold a deposit of someone who begged me to take said deposit, against my better judgment, and then may have misrepresented the details of the backing out of the deal that, in turn, cost me one sure sale and lowered the item's value in yet another sale, I'd have to think long and hard on whether I'd keep some of the deposit to cover my loss that was a direct result of buyer's action.

There are several of us on here who just have to send each other a text to claim something or automatically Venmo each other without a second thought. I think sometimes you have to learn a lesson to be included in a circle of trust. There are consequences for one's actions that need to be realized to keep a circle of trust trustful.

1716943494918.png

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I’m a little 50/50 here… I could have the facts wrong and don’t feel like going back to read it…. But…. If the seller had 2 people claiming it before the third, and he accepted a deposit from the third fella to “jump line” that messy mistake number 1… I didn’t see either side say the deposit was “non refundable” could have missed that; that’s messy mistake number 2…

Just me, I have taken deposit from a few people on this forum, even taken full payment for items to meet in a week when they were free, again that’s somthing you earn.. but I would 99.9% have to give the fella his money back, but I would also exhaust all efforts to complete the deal even if I had to drive a little further… a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush… but it does seem like the buyer doesn’t want to meet up again after the original meeting date…

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree 100%, but in turn would not expect everyone to be that stand up. If I were on the other side of the deal (buyer) and simply decided after the deposit that I just couldnt go through for whatever reason, I’d likely offer a portion of the deposit.
    In reality I have to consider that in this case, if there were 3 people on the same day interested in that pistol at that price, the pistol will likely sell at that price. I don’t think the badmouthing buyer cost the seller anything but time. The seller still has his unmolested pistol. It hasn’t lost any value at all. If anyone is out anything at the moment, it’s the backpedaling buyer. 600 bucks ain’t no joke.
    And we also have to consider that the seller did consent. He took the deposit. I prefer to tell latecomers that I’ll be glad to contact them if the deal doesn’t happen, but I already said sold. Seller has to share in some of the grief here. He admitted as much and passed on a sure thing because somebody waved some cash at him. Had he not taken the deposit, he would have had 3 in line for the sale.
    All in all, I think this was a good learning experience for everyone involved and possibly everyone who reads that thread.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    You're a good man, Charlie Brown! I mostly agree with you, but I also think that if I were to hold a deposit of someone who begged me to take said deposit, against my better judgment, and then may have misrepresented the details of the backing out of the deal that, in turn, cost me one sure sale and lowered the item's value in yet another sale, I'd have to think long and hard on whether I'd keep some of the deposit to cover my loss that was a direct result of buyer's action.

There are several of us on here who just have to send each other a text to claim something or automatically Venmo each other without a second thought. I think sometimes you have to learn a lesson to be included in a circle of trust. There are consequences for one's actions that need to be realized to keep a circle of trust trustful.

View attachment 164988
    Everyone has different views, especially when it involves money.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I agree 100%, but in turn would not expect everyone to be that stand up. If I were on the other side of the deal (buyer) and simply decided after the deposit that I just couldnt go through for whatever reason, I’d likely offer a portion of the deposit.
    In reality I have to consider that in this case, if there were 3 people on the same day interested in that pistol at that price, the pistol will likely sell at that price. I don’t think the badmouthing buyer cost the seller anything but time. The seller still has his unmolested pistol. It hasn’t lost any value at all. If anyone is out anything at the moment, it’s the backpedaling buyer. 600 bucks ain’t no joke.
    And we also have to consider that the seller did consent. He took the deposit. I prefer to tell latecomers that I’ll be glad to contact them if the deal doesn’t happen, but I already said sold. Seller has to share in some of the grief here. He admitted as much and passed on a sure thing because somebody waved some cash at him. Had he not taken the deposit, he would have had 3 in line for the sale.
    All in all, I think this was a good learning experience for everyone involved and possibly everyone who reads that thread.
    Right on! Sounds like both are to Shadey for any dealings with me. Fin

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had an experience 20 years ago that completely randomly came to mind, and it compelled me to make this statement.

If I, a white Australian Hulk Hogan with sometimes offensive chest tattoos who has no affiliations because people generally suck, were to take a deposit on an item, I would, in no circumstance insist on keeping any of their $, especially after holding that deposit for a very short period of time, even if they possibly jumped the gun on a public verbal lynching.
    I don't think anyone appreciates someone who would publicly smear them before they had a chance to reconcile, but I also don't think anyone appreciates someone who takes advantage of a situation that involves someone else's $.

In the end, it's my actions that really matter, not theirs.

Would your mind be swayed at all if you learned he backed out because he backed out because he was from southeast Houston and he decided to not make an out of state purchase? I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just asking.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I wouldnt keep the deposit either but the buyer backed out and broke the deal. The seller took the deposit and used it to fund another firearm.
    If it were me as the seller i would give back the deposit on the next pay day.

In the case of the buyer he should recieve a -1 for breaking the deal.

There have been half a dozen firearms i would have jumped on if they were closer including thperez's mossberg 500. But i pass because i dont want to commit to a long ass drive.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wouldnt keep the deposit either but the buyer backed out and broke the deal. The seller took the deposit and used it to fund another firearm.
    If it were me as the seller i would give back the deposit on the next pay day.

In the case of the buyer he should recieve a -1 for breaking the deal.

There have been half a dozen firearms i would have jumped on if they were closer including thperez's mossberg 500. But i pass because i dont want to commit to a long ass drive.

It's still available. First come first serve. I don't take deposits.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    To quote an admin here from a recent thread, "It's generally been that until the transaction is complete, either party can back out."

That sentiment seems to be common on boards and forums such as this, and is one reason I don't pursue a lot of forum transactions anymore. At one time when people agreed on a transaction, then mountains were moved to ensure each held up their end of the deal.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To quote an admin here from a recent thread, "It's generally been that until the transaction is complete, either party can back out."

That sentiment seems to be common on boards and forums such as this, and is one reason I don't pursue a lot of forum transactions anymore. At one time when people agreed on a transaction, then mountains were moved to ensure each held up their end of the deal.

That admin was me. This board does not get into the particulars of transaction negotiations. This board cannot enforce agreements because this board does not know about the agreements.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Would your mind be swayed at all if you learned he backed out because he backed out because he was from southeast Houston and he decided to not make an out of state purchase? I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just asking.
    No. Unless this person is actually trying to scam someone, I would not condone keeping unearned $.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    No. Unless this person is actually trying to scam someone, I would not condone keeping unearned $.
    I just want to put it out there, and I'm not 100% sure on how true this may or may not be, but I was telling my wife about this 20 year old situation, and she told me that she thought she remembered a scam happening on Facebook, where the buyer would send a deposit, then demand the deposit back, even publicly, and somehow, they would get more than their deposit back.
    Again, take this with a grain of salt, but I'm going to try to get her to look more into this and try to report back sometime in the near future.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just want to put it out there, and I'm not 100% sure on how true this may or may not be, but I was telling my wife about this 20 year old situation, and she told me that she thought she remembered a scam happening on Facebook, where the buyer would send a deposit, then demand the deposit back, even publicly, and somehow, they would get more than their deposit back.
    Again, take this with a grain of salt, but I'm going to try to get her to look more into this and try to report back sometime in the near future.

There may be some truth to this. He claimed he was going to drive from shreveport but a quick search put him as being from Houston. I looked a little more and nothing I found disputed that. He said he was "a retired law enforcement officer and navy veteran." That's pretty good for a 27 year old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom