I just wanted to say...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    There may be some truth to this. He claimed he was going to drive from shreveport but a quick search put him as being from Houston. I looked a little more and nothing I found disputed that. He said he was "a retired law enforcement officer and navy veteran." That's pretty good for a 27 year old.
    :confused::dunno:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    man the rabbit hole is getting deeper

1716960317557.png

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There may be some truth to this. He claimed he was going to drive from shreveport but a quick search put him as being from Houston. I looked a little more and nothing I found disputed that. He said he was "a retired law enforcement officer and navy veteran." That's pretty good for a 27 year old.
    Daaaaang…. Say it ain’t so.

Beware the new member I reckon. I’ve said it before, I rarely deal with anyone with no feedback and tread lightly with anyone less than a year here.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    "Good Faith" money is rarely required to be returned when the buyer backs out of a deal.

Here is a good read on the subject.

I understand that this is "how it is", but does not align with my views, unless it is predetermined and agreed upon.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    A photographer might have a $500 deposit that's non-refundable. It's stated at the moment it is arranged, that it's non-refundable. They might miss a $10,000 job if they are booked up for your $2000 photo shoot and you cancel. They wont be able to go back and say "Oh my client cancelled, I'm ready for you"...the person might be hosting $150,000 event, and you're out because you were busy. You're missing the big event, missing your client, missing the word-of-mouth and personal introductions from either event, and you're totally **cked...but at least you have the $500 deposit for your bills.

That's what a deposit is meant for.

If the guy didn't like the gun in person, would he have gotten all of the deposit back? Or just half because he wasnt satisfied? The end result, either rejection or no-show, is the same...gun not bought. It seems very crappy to keep $1 from that deposit, much less half of it. I'd have to return it and lick my
    wounds. I'd want the same courtesy, though I would not accept a deposit in the first place because it would in-debt me to the person until the transaction was complete and I do not do debt.

Rudy may have been a complete scammer, PWall might be a total victim...but I couldn't keep that money.

Also, it's possibly an ATF agent or fed (or asset/rat) that was trying to entrap the seller in an illegal sale. Why the scammer post? I don't know, why not? They do all kinds of stuff, lying and stirring the pot is definitely two of them. They murder people as a hobby, and a little pooo flinging on the internet is probably an easy way of finding people that they need to clean up one day....

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I had to go read the other thread to get the full story. Very entertaining!

Just to add something for your reading pleasure:

Once upon a time I had a truck for sale, for $1000. Sign on the back window. A guy stopped me in traffic, asked about it, then followed me to my office where he offered me $100 to hold it for him. I said yes so he gave me the $100 in cash in the form of 50 of $2 bills. I had all of his contact information and after a couple of weeks called him up, he said he was having trouble getting the full amount. After another two weeks he called me and said he couldn't find the money, and to just keep the deposit. So I did, lowered the price of the truck to $900, and sold it within the next week. Still have a few of those $2 bills that I've saved as a curiosity.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I just want to put it out there, and I'm not 100% sure on how true this may or may not be, but I was telling my wife about this 20 year old situation, and she told me that she thought she remembered a scam happening on Facebook, where the buyer would send a deposit, then demand the deposit back, even publicly, and somehow, they would get more than their deposit back.
    Again, take this with a grain of salt, but I'm going to try to get her to look more into this and try to report back sometime in the near future.
    I've read of this scam as well. The scam is that the buyer sends a deposit through cashap, venmo etc. with the funds pulling from a stolen credit card. Then either backs out of the deal or claims it was sent in error and requests the funds returned. The money returned comes from the receivers bank or credit car. When the stolen credit card, company is notified of the theft they will start the process of cancelling the transaction and pulling the funds back and supposedly the funds are pulled back. Not sure how that works exactly on the credit card side/cashapp/venmo end but it would be big suprise to see the funds missing if i were on the receiving end. I also can't validate the accuracy but seems possible.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't matter where the disgruntled buyer was from or why he backed out

The seller is not " entitled " to keep any of the money sent to him

If he doesn't send the full amount back , he's a thief

My personal opinion is I agree with you up to a point. The gun has a value based on what someone would pay for it. If you and I come to an agreement, the value of the gun is the price we agreed on. Let's say that I turn down another offer for the same amount because I've already agreed to sell to you. And let's say you back out of the deal. If the other guy now offers less than he would have paid before, that gun has lost value, not because of something I did, but because of something you did. Why should I suffer the financial burden that came as a result of your backing out on your agreement?

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My personal opinion is I agree with you up to a point. The gun has a value based on what someone would pay for it. If you and I come to an agreement, the value of the gun is the price we agreed on. Let's say that I turn down another offer for the same amount because I've already agreed to sell to you. And let's say you back out of the deal. If the other guy now offers less than he would have paid before, that gun has lost value, not because of something I did, but because of something you did. Why should I suffer the financial burden that came as a result of your backing out on your agreement?
    The gun only loses value if you agree to sell it at the lower price .

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To quote an admin here from a recent thread, "It's generally been that until the transaction is complete, either party can back out."

That sentiment seems to be common on boards and forums such as this, and is one reason I don't pursue a lot of forum transactions anymore. At one time when people agreed on a transaction, then mountains were moved to ensure each held up their end of the deal.

I feel I may need to clarify my quote. If two people come to an agreement, each party should honor that agreement. In my opinion, you agreeing to buy an item I have listed is actually you agreeing to meet in person with the intention of buying the item. If you get to the meeting and you feel the item is not as it was described, should you still be required to hold up your end of the deal? Or if I get to the meeting and get the impression this may be a straw purchase, should I be required to hold up my end of the deal?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It's like we are sharing a brain this week, P! :hi5:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I've read of this scam as well. The scam is that the buyer sends a deposit through cashap, venmo etc. with the funds pulling from a stolen credit card. Then either backs out of the deal or claims it was sent in error and requests the funds returned. The money returned comes from the receivers bank or credit car. When the stolen credit card, company is notified of the theft they will start the process of cancelling the transaction and pulling the funds back and supposedly the funds are pulled back. Not sure how that works exactly on the credit card side/cashapp/venmo end but it would be big suprise to see the funds missing if i were on the receiving end. I also can't validate the accuracy but seems possible.
    Now that you mentioned this, I remember hearing something similar.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom