I just wanted to say...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've read of this scam as well. The scam is that the buyer sends a deposit through cashap, venmo etc. with the funds pulling from a stolen credit card. Then either backs out of the deal or claims it was sent in error and requests the funds returned. The money returned comes from the receivers bank or credit car. When the stolen credit card, company is notified of the theft they will start the process of cancelling the transaction and pulling the funds back and supposedly the funds are pulled back. Not sure how that works exactly on the credit card side/cashapp/venmo end but it would be big suprise to see the funds missing if i were on the receiving end. I also can't validate the accuracy but seems possible.
    I forgot about this one. It's about the only one where the money transfer services will reverse a transaction, but it's definitely a possibility. They won't reverse a transaction if you request it, but they'll reverse it if a bank requests it for fraud, so you'd be screwed if you refunded someone. It's more typically used as an unsolicited mistake transfer. You get a mystery $100 Venmo deposit and then someone reaches out to you saying they accidentally sent you the funds, could you please return the $. You return the $ and when the bank figures out the fraud, they take it from your account and don't care that you sent the $100 to the scammer. They got their $ back, because they can, but you are outta luck.

Using the same method in a deposit situation is similar, but, from a scammer's perspective, it seems more involved and less efficient than preying on the kindness of strangers. You run the risk of pissing off the seller, who might opt to not send the deposit back at all, plus there's going to be a lot more back and forth about it, I'm sure. So, I'm still on the fence on whether ol' Rudy was really having depositor's remorse, or was scamming... He definitely lacked candor in his reasons for canceling the sale.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And you haven't lost anything because you still have the gun ..

But you have lost something. When someone lists a gun for sale, it's because they feel they can use the value of the gun in a way not currently possible. If it were possible, there would be no need to sell the gun because you could use the gun's value directly. If the first guy breaks the deal and the second guy will now only pay less and you don't sell, you've lost the ability to utilize the value of the gun. As an example, the electric company doesn't take guns so the value of the gun to them is $0. The value of the gun must first be used to trade for something of value the electric company will take. Like money. An investment has no value until you try to use the value.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    And you haven't lost anything because you still have the gun ..
    You HAVE lost something. You've lost time ($$$) and you've lost bargaining power ($$$) with a different buyer because that 2nd buyer knows the other sale fell through and may try to use that to her (shoutout to Sodoodle) advantage. Clearly the gun has less value to you than cash, because you are trying to sell it. You don't want the gun, you want to transfer it to cash, to pay the electric company or buy a new gun, which you now don't have.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    But you have lost something. When someone lists a gun for sale, it's because they feel they can use the value of the gun in a way not currently possible. If it were possible, there would be no need to sell the gun because you could use the gun's value directly. If the first guy breaks the deal and the second guy will now only pay less and you don't sell, you've lost the ability to utilize the value of the gun. The electric company doesn't take guns so the value of the gun to them is $0. An investment has no value until you try to use the value.
    If someone loses out on a sale, because they held it for someone else, shame on them. Live and learn.
    If they, allegedly, had buyers lined up, 3 of them at the same time mind you, then they should have no problem selling it.
    Of all the guns I've seen listed here, some for pretty decent prices, a lot of them just sit. Yet this dude had a $2k pistol that was in less than pristine condition, listed for $1600 and had 3 buyers lined up? I don't know about any of you but I'm wading in knee deep ********.

Buyer was no better, but keeping that money is immoral.

Maybe he was actually scamming, but this was not thought of by the seller before he decided he might go ahead and keep $300 of someone else's $ that he did not earn.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If someone loses out on a sale, because they held it for someone else, shame on them. Live and learn.

So you're saying that if you and I come to an agreement, including you paying some of the asking price up front, and I get a potential buyer between the time of our agreement and the time of our meeting, shame on me for keeping our agreement and turning down the new sale?

If they, allegedly, had buyers lined up, 3 of them at the same time mind you, then they should have no problem selling it.
    Of all the guns I've seen listed here, some for pretty decent prices, a lot of them just sit. Yet this dude had a $2k pistol that was in less than pristine condition, listed for $1600 and had 3 buyers lined up? I don't know about any of you but I'm wading in knee deep ********.

Buyer was no better, but keeping that money is immoral.

Maybe he was actually scamming, but this was not thought of by the seller before he decided he might go ahead and keep $300 of someone else's $ that he did not earn.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So you're saying that if you and I come to an agreement, including you paying some of the asking price up front, and I get a potential buyer between the time of our agreement and the time of our meeting, shame on me for keeping our agreement and turning down the new sale?
    Using the logic of his post, I think he's saying that you should sell it to the buyer who comes along and he would be fine with it as long as you returned his deposit...

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Using the logic of his post, I think he's saying that you should sell it to the buyer who comes along and he would be fine with it as long as you returned his deposit...

It appears that way. Some people here, it seems, would disagree with him.

At one time when people agreed on a transaction, then mountains were moved to ensure each held up their end of the deal.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    First of all, the guy from my experience 20 years ago, had lined up buyers already, then someone else came along and offer money to hold it for him specifically, instead of selling it to the ones that already spoke for it.

2nd of all, I don't do deposits to or from individuals, and I am reluctant to do deposits in general, although some are unavoidable, such as the electric company.

So, my post was taken out of context, understandably so, as I was not specific. However, to speak on your specified scenario, if someone were to come along, the first person to speak for said deal, and offer a deposit or request a hold, that is to be done at the seller's discretion, obviously, and by doing so, he is knowingly taking the risk of losing other possible buyers. Selling to someone else at that point should be frowned upon but it is what it is, so long as the buyer did not lose time or money, no harm no foul, only hurt feelings. I've had this happen to me and, again, it is what it is, I lost no sleep over it.

2 totally different scenarios though.

ETA - I got sidetracked away from your actual question.

Yes, shame on you, but also shame on them. This is why most people prefer not to hold items, although some are greedy enough to be swayed by money or are naive enough to trust that a stranger holds the same ethics as they do. I have also had this happen to me, on more than one occasion. In that scenario, where the buyer dumps the deal, again, it should be frowned upon and taken as a life lesson.

Last edited:

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    ^^^^This X 1000^^^^

Along those same lines, when someone tells me they want it, my answer is “when can we meet”. I let them know up front that I need a when. If the answer is a next payday or I’m waiting on a settlement kinda when, I may tell them straight up “get back with me when you’re ready to buy” and leave the item up. That’s happened at least a couple times and those folks never bought the item.
    Also, like I said before, sticking to the first come/first served standard, you increase your chances of a fallback sale. I’ve yet to miss on a callback when someone balked. It’s like winning something to the next person in line and they usually want to do the deal same day.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    What if you find another buyer willing to pay more ? You willing to cut the original no show buyer in on the deal ? Sounds absurd ? Sure , but is it possible ?

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    First of all, the guy from my experience 20 years ago, had lined up buyers already, then someone else came along and offer money to hold it for him specifically, instead of selling it to the ones that already spoke for it.

First come first serve. The texan was the first one with money.

2nd of all, I don't do deposits to or from individuals, and I am reluctant to do deposits in general, although some are unavoidable, such as the electric company.

Yes, but your practices aren't at issue here. And I agree, deposits are a bad idea.

So, my post was taken out of context, understandably so, as I was not specific. However, to speak on your specified scenario, if someone were to come along, the first person to speak for said deal, and offer a deposit or request a hold, that is to be done at the seller's discretion, obviously, and by doing so, he is knowingly taking the risk of losing other possible buyers. Selling to someone else at that point should be frowned upon but it is what it is, so long as the buyer did not lose time or money, no harm no foul, only hurt feelings. I've had this happen to me and, again, it is what it is, I lost no sleep over it.

2 totally different scenarios though.

ETA - I got sidetracked away from your actual question.

Yes, shame on you, but also shame on them. This is why most people prefer not to hold items, although some are greedy enough to be swayed by money or are naive enough to trust that a stranger holds the same ethics as they do. I have also had this happen to me, on more than one occasion. In that scenario, where the buyer dumps the deal, again, it should be frowned upon and taken as a life lesson.

I don't think I would label accepting money for an item listed for sale as gready.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    First come first serve. The texan was the first one with money.

Yes, but your practices aren't at issue here. And I agree, deposits are a bad idea.

I don't think I would label accepting money for an item listed for sale as gready.

It was not finalized, nor was it paid in full, it was a deposit for a hold, after others had allegedly spoken for it, there is a difference.
    While I can't say 100% that greed played a role in the decision to accept the deposit, and push away the other alleged potential buyers, I will say, after seeing the situation play out, I definitely lean in that direction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom