Interested in buying a used ar15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    scooterj - I'm just recovering from a stomach virus. Must be a hangover from eating so much Blue Bell ice cream. I have an AK & am new at ARs, so I'm learning as fast as I can. I'll study your gun - it's a beauty - and let you know.

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    scooterj - I want a self-defense gun, but I see no reason yours would not be suitable. Why did Jack say it wouldn't? Keep in mind that I have an AK47 and am in the research stage of the AR15. I bought the AK because in an uprising it has less chance of jamming when my life would depend on it. Whatever anyone says about the AR, the chance of it jamming is greater than the AK. However, it's my understanding that there was a jamming problem when the rifle first came into production, but now rarely jams. Am I correct.

The reason I'm in the market for another gun is because my wife liked firing the AK so much she stole it from me.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    scooterj - I want a self-defense gun, but I see no reason yours would not be suitable. Why did Jack say it wouldn't? Keep in mind that I have an AK47 and am in the research stage of the AR15. I bought the AK because in an uprising it has less chance of jamming when my life would depend on it. Whatever anyone says about the AR, the chance of it jamming is greater than the AK. However, it's my understanding that there was a jamming problem when the rifle first came into production, but now rarely jams. Am I correct.

The reason I'm in the market for another gun is because my wife liked firing the AK so much she stole it from me.

The quality of the rifle and its use and maintenance has a lot more to do with its reliability than it being an AK or an AR. There are plenty of reliable and unreliable examples of both. My reasoning for suggesting against his rifle have a lot to do with the optic and the muzzle device. Both are great for competition, but not for learning how to shoot an AR or using an AR in a house. I'm not saying his rifle is bad or anything, I just don't think it is the best tool for your intended purpose.

Last edited:

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Okay, okay! My wife convinced me to stop fooling around and go buy a new rifle. Take a look at the picture of the Daniel Defense V11 LW Chris from Interstate Guns in Hammond posted. He now has one less. My obnoxious amount of research convinced me to buy it. I know there are other good brands out there, but all the articles I read about Daniel Defense rifles gave me enough comfort to buy one. And everyone at Interstate is patient, courteous and upbeat. I KNOW I made a good decision.

I do appreciate all the information you all provided. Bayou Shooter is a great site.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Okay, okay! My wife convinced me to stop fooling around and go buy a new rifle. Take a look at the picture of the Daniel Defense V11 LW Chris from Interstate Guns in Hammond posted. He now has one less. My obnoxious amount of research convinced me to buy it. I know there are other good brands out there, but all the articles I read about Daniel Defense rifles gave me enough comfort to buy one. And everyone at Interstate is patient, courteous and upbeat. I KNOW I made a good decision.

I do appreciate all the information you all provided. Bayou Shooter is a great site.

Thanks Don!
    Enjoy the new rifle. We're here in case you have any follow up questions.

DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    You know much more about guns than me, but I've always been told by people who know guns that you can hardly make the AK jam because of it's loose tolerances. It seems to make sense, but maybe they're wrong. One of the employees at Interstate told me he's had more jammed AK owners walk into his store than AR owners.

FYI: Guess who got his AK back after my wife felt how light the AR is???

The only reason I didn't buy his rifle is because I know nothing about the components he has on them. I feel certain his rifle is of very high quality and probably shoots straighter than the typical "off the shelf" AR. Also, my wonderful wife told me I should quit driving myself crazy looking for a used one and buy a new one. Hey! I had to listen to her. In this case anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom